State Parks

Reaction score
I'm from Massachusetts and decided to head up to Mt Monadnock in southern New Hampshire for a hike. Of course I brought my P3A with me. First, I checked with all FAA rules, under 400, not within 5mi of airports. Second, I looked online to see what the NH state park rules are (with monadnock being a state park). I found nothing. When I got to the top, I took off from an area away from the summit. After 5 minutes a ranger came running over and told me to land it. he said that there was an emergency helicopter landing soon, because someone broke a leg on the mountain. I'm fine with that, no way to tell when that will happen. I would've landed if I heard a helicopter anyways.

After that he proceeded to tell me that there was a law passed regarding rules about drones, and that he said they were not allowed in NH state parks. I said I looked online and found nothing, he said it's probably not updated.

When I got back down, I checked online to see if I could find rules regarding anything about UAVs or drones in New Hampshire, and I got NOTHING. I'm pretty sure he was confused with the FAA rules passed in July. So anyways, can anyone clarify if they know the rules regarding New Hampshire state park rules? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thats the hard part with the 50 individual state state parks, not all states update their websites, especially not in a timely manner.

I was curious as to MD/VA Assateague Park area, if I remember right MD did post they werent allowed, VA didnt post anything. So I on the VA website I found a contact & politely emailed them about it. The head Ranger that contacted me asked me to speak to the ranger on duty when I came down to see if there would be an issue.
I had explained in advance I would not be there during peak summer season as I would not want conflicts with the tourists, nor would I knowingly chase the ponies. I would try to maintain a respectful distance if the ponies appeared & if they started being upset by my distance of up a 100 or more I would move off.
And no, I havent gone yet, things came up but I hope to go sometime this fall. :)

Sometimes it takes all of 5 mins to email or call the park headquarters & ask a simple question, sometimes the park rangers did not realize that some yahoo in IT/social media hasnt updated the website. (shrug)

Apparently Texas leaves it up to the superintendent of each park. I corresponded with the manager of Battleship Texas/San Jacinto monument and got a letter of permission that's good til the end of December

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20