Flying in Oahu, Hawaii?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning a trip to Oahu in a month (spring break), and stumbled across some threads and info online about places to drone. This seems to be a bit outdated: Local Drone Regulation but has some good info.

I'm a part 107 (remote pilot) license holder, and I've reviewed the Oahu sectional charts, but I am sure there are other things to be aware of (e.g city, county, state regulations -- where and where not to operate from).

Do any of you have recommendations for legal and safe flying spots - with good access to Oahu's scenery. I am assuming most popular points of interest will be off limits (North Shore, Diamond Head, Waikiki, Hanauma Bay).

I am staying at the Aulani - and would love to get some footage there, but it's in Class D airspace (surface to 2,500 MSL) - and FAA authorization might be a little tricky this close to the trip.

Would love to hear your recommendations and first hand experience.

I went to BIG Island and there were no restrictions except in volcano areas but signs were clearly visible. What we need to do at such tourist places is to avoid flying over people.

Reactions: shurgot
From what I gather, just stay away from crowds. Fly but just be cautious to your surroundings. I'm headed to Maui in May myself. Planning to bring the P3P. First time traveling with it on a plane.

I'm visiting Kauai right now and I thought I read an article about the state passing a new law last year or so mandating all drone owners to pass a test. I didn't bring mine but I wanted too..I have seen two phantoms since I got here though. One guy didn't know about a test? Was I mistaken?

I'm visiting Kauai right now and I thought I read an article about the state passing a new law last year or so mandating all drone owners to pass a test. I didn't bring mine but I wanted too..I have seen two phantoms since I got here though. One guy didn't know about a test? Was I mistaken?
A test? Well i'd surely like to know before my trip in May.

So those guys you saw flying, where were they flying at?

I live on O'ahu and there is no such test. Also, other than areas that are prohibited for flight on the sectional chart, there are no areas of the island that are off-limits to drones...and I've flown just about everywhere on the island. Some great places to fly:

- Magic Island
- Maunalua Bay
- Hanauma Bay
- Sandy Beach
- Makapu'u Beach
- Kualoa Regional Park
- Laie Point
- Sunset Beach

There are a bunch of other great spots. Those are just some favorites off the top of my head.

Like all other popular tourist destinations, we have seen a significant spike in droning, both local pilots and tourists. Just be very sensitive to those around you and exercise courtesy & common sense with plenty of Aloha and you'll be fine. Enjoy your stay in our beautiful state!

I live on O'ahu and there is no such test. Also, other than areas that are prohibited for flight on the sectional chart, there are no areas of the island that are off-limits to drones...and I've flown just about everywhere on the island. Some great places to fly:

- Magic Island
- Maunalua Bay
- Hanauma Bay
- Sandy Beach
- Makapu'u Beach
- Kualoa Regional Park
- Laie Point
- Sunset Beach

There are a bunch of other great spots. Those are just some favorites off the top of my head.

Like all other popular tourist destinations, we have seen a significant spike in droning, both local pilots and tourists. Just be very sensitive to those around you and exercise courtesy & common sense with plenty of Aloha and you'll be fine. Enjoy your stay in our beautiful state!

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks GoLoves!

Reactions: JSKCKNIT

- Magic Island
- Maunalua Bay
- Hanauma Bay
- Sandy Beach
- Makapu'u Beach
- Kualoa Regional Park
- Laie Point
- Sunset Beach

Hey goloves, i'm headed to maui in May. Is it pretty much open to fly anywhere there as well as long as common sense is used? Do you have any recommendations in Maui? We will be staying at the Royal Lahaina.

I did some more research. It appears there was a senate bill in 2015 here in HW that included a written test. It appears that wasn't passed.

Hey red dawg - you'll LOVE Maui. Great island! I've been there a bunch of times, but not since I got into droning so I wasn't tuned in to looking for good spots to fly. The same general guidelines I listed above would apply there as well. Make sure and check the sectional for prohibited areas, check for current NOTAMS in your area, and then go have a blast! Sorry I can't be more specific.

wph - I hope you're enjoying Maui! What you said about the test and the senate bill makes perfect sense. There are numerous other bills being considered by our legislators, one of which would almost entirely shut down the state to drones. Some of those folks have this hobby squarely in their crosshairs, but <knocks on wood> so far nothing of consequence has been passed into law. It feels like the clock is ticking, though. It will be a crying shame if they are successful passing restrictive laws because the beauty to be found here is just stunning. Here's a video I posted just today highlighting that:

Hey red dawg - you'll LOVE Maui. Great island! I've been there a bunch of times, but not since I got into droning so I wasn't tuned in to looking for good spots to fly. The same general guidelines I listed above would apply there as well. Make sure and check the sectional for prohibited areas, check for current NOTAMS in your area, and then go have a blast! Sorry I can't be more specific.

wph - I hope you're enjoying Maui! What you said about the test and the senate bill makes perfect sense. There are numerous other bills being considered by our legislators, one of which would almost entirely shut down the state to drones. Some of those folks have this hobby squarely in their crosshairs, but <knocks on wood> so far nothing of consequence has been passed into law. It feels like the clock is ticking, though. It will be a crying shame if they are successful passing restrictive laws because the beauty to be found here is just stunning. Here's a video I posted just today highlighting that:

That is awesome! Well I'm definitely gonna get footage while I'm there in May because the next time I go to Hawaii, who knows what the laws will be then.

Thanks GoLoves

Reactions: GoLoves

That is an amazing video! I'm heading to Oahu and the Big Island to visit ohana next week and bringing my drone along this time. Thanks for the pointers on laws and places to fly.

Your clip of the blow hole and really everywhere made me regret ever moving away!!

I wanted to update this thread having recently flown with my drone. I brought my drone and accessories in the backpack as a carry on. I flew on United Airlines and also interisland to the Big Island on Hawaiian Airlines.

I had no issues at all with either of the airlines or TSA.

I flew in Oahu with no problems and even at Waikiki beach last month. I try to launch the drone away from people to not distract them when I take off and land and then walk to the spot where I want to fly. Flew near the Blowhole and around Mokoliʻi Island with no problems, Lots place near North Shore and the eastern part of the Oahu is easier since there are less crowds

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I flew in Maui with no issues as well.

I went to BIG Island and there were no restrictions except in volcano areas but signs were clearly visible. What we need to do at such tourist places is to avoid flying over people.
I live here on the Big Island... there are currently a number of areas that are restricted on the Big Island... the latest being the lava entry down Kalapana way the airspace above Kilauea has always been restricted... now Pohakaloa Military training area is also designated a no fly area... Mauna Kea summit likewise.... and of course our airports (with permission or waiver ok) All National & State Parks here in HI are off limits for "Launching & Landing" County parks ok unless posted. Again no one can dictate airspace restrictions except the FAA... that is why Kilauea, Kalapana entry & Pohakaloa does have NOTAMs and TFR's - issued by them.

Reactions: anotherlab

- Magic Island
- Maunalua Bay
- Hanauma Bay
- Sandy Beach
- Makapu'u Beach
- Kualoa Regional Park
- Laie Point
- Sunset Beach

I asked a staff for Kualoa for the fishpond and he said I could not because it's private and that I have to ask the staff at the center ( didn't have time yet) for permission. Is it really allowed ? And do you have any west coast legal drone flying?

- Magic Island
- Maunalua Bay
- Hanauma Bay
- Sandy Beach
- Makapu'u Beach
- Kualoa Regional Park
- Laie Point
- Sunset Beach

Thanks for the insight, GoLoves! Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but where can I find the sectional chart folks are talking about? Is this the one on the FAA website? Would love to give it a look-over before my trip. I'm headed to Hawaii in June - three nights in Honolulu and a week on the Big Island. Hard to contain my excitement! Cannot wait to soak up the culture and fly as much as I can :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj