Flying in Oahu, Hawaii?

I live here on the Big Island... there are currently a number of areas that are restricted on the Big Island... the latest being the lava entry down Kalapana way the airspace above Kilauea has always been restricted... now Pohakaloa Military training area is also designated a no fly area... Mauna Kea summit likewise.... and of course our airports (with permission or waiver ok) All National & State Parks here in HI are off limits for "Launching & Landing" County parks ok unless posted. Again no one can dictate airspace restrictions except the FAA... that is why Kilauea, Kalapana entry & Pohakaloa does have NOTAMs and TFR's - issued by them.

Hi PunaPhantom, doing a little preliminary research ahead of my summer trip to the Big Island. It's disappointing but not surprising that HI's National and State Parks are off limits (just like the rest of the US)... But since "Launching & Landing" are off limits at the Parks, does that mean one could technically launch/land outside of park grounds and still fly?

Not that I would ever consider it, but my guess is no haha... I just find the "Launching & Landing" language curious, as opposed to a clearer "No Drone Zone" as I've seen used before. With so many gray-areas in the world of drone regulations, it just seems like the language we (we as a country) use is one thing that's easy to control and make crystal-clear. Don't remember this phrase being used in other US National Parks, but I could certainly be wrong!

@dlblacks - Hope you don't mind me jumping in; I'm heading to Kauai and Oahu in April and did some research on FAA restricted areas. Here's a link to their grid maps for Part 107 pilots: ArcGIS Web Application. That will give you an idea of restricted areas. I've uploaded some screen shots of the maps for Oahu and the Big Island, too. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Oahu.png
    Oahu.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,990
  • Big Island.png
    Big Island.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,537
@dlblacks - Hope you don't mind me jumping in; I'm heading to Kauai and Oahu in April and did some research on FAA restricted areas. Here's a link to their grid maps for Part 107 pilots: ArcGIS Web Application. That will give you an idea of restricted areas. I've uploaded some screen shots of the maps for Oahu and the Big Island, too. Hope this helps.
These are the FAA UAS Facility Maps that show (after authorization) what altitude you can fly within an airports airspace... there are a ton more "off limit" areas not showing on the facility maps, so don't just go by them... for example... Volcanoes National Park - all off limits to launch but only the "restricted" area over Kīlauea and the entry zone of the lava into the ocean is an FAA "no fly zone"... As mentioned earlier all National and State parks are off limits for launching and recovery as are national wild life areas and national forests...

Hey everyone. I too am headed to Oahu next month. Was looking at a website called Hawaiidronetours.com. Is it worth it. Can any locals chime in if the tour, service and locations are worth it? Thanks.

Hi PunaPhantom, doing a little preliminary research ahead of my summer trip to the Big Island. It's disappointing but not surprising that HI's National and State Parks are off limits (just like the rest of the US)... But since "Launching & Landing" are off limits at the Parks, does that mean one could technically launch/land outside of park grounds and still fly?

Not that I would ever consider it, but my guess is no haha... I just find the "Launching & Landing" language curious, as opposed to a clearer "No Drone Zone" as I've seen used before. With so many gray-areas in the world of drone regulations, it just seems like the language we (we as a country) use is one thing that's easy to control and make crystal-clear. Don't remember this phrase being used in other US National Parks, but I could certainly be wrong!

Yes, for all but FAA restricted zones you can launch and land outside the park and fly over the park (so long as not over people) - this is because only there FAA can regulate the actual airspace... so the county / state can and does regulate what you can and cannot do "on their grounds"...

As an example there is a really impressive waterfall called Akaka Falls but it is a state park... and there is an employee you have to pay (as a visitor) but you can launch from out side the parking lot - very dicey though as you have to go over the jungle and come down to the falls and may loose signal... also you will be flying out of LOS - so there is that legality also...

ALSO... someone said you don't need to have a registered drone (maybe another thread) - fact is you do have to have registration for any UAS that is .55-55 lbs --- have fun... If you email me I could send you a list of cool drone friendly locations here...

Reactions: Hounddog
Hey everyone. I too am headed to Oahu next month. Was looking at a website called Hawaiidronetours.com. Is it worth it. Can any locals chime in if the tour, service and locations are worth it? Thanks.

Just took the tour. They are affiliated with Oahu Photography Tours. Not really a Drone specific tour but more a regular camera tour. Only allowed to fly in couple of stops depending on which tour you choose. I choose the Golden sunrise tour and only allowed to fly at 2 of the 5 stops. Good tour & service but limited drone friendly stops. I flew at Magic Island and Ala Moana Park on my own as well, Great spot!

Reactions: Kejoal11
Do you know if there are any issues launching from Kualoa Regional Park?

Also, I read you can't take off or land from the beach...we'll be staying at some condos on the windward side of the Oahu what do people typically do to avoid the beach restriction?..find a parking lot or something? Seems kind of annoying to be honest but I want to follow the rules.

Do you know if there are any issues launching from Kualoa Regional Park?

Also, I read you can't take off or land from the beach...we'll be staying at some condos on the windward side of the Oahu what do people typically do to avoid the beach restriction?..find a parking lot or something? Seems kind of annoying to be honest but I want to follow the rules.

No problems there. I use mine for fishing weekly from Kualoa all the way north to Hauula. Not much "beach" to take off or land from more grass than anything.

You will find some people that think their property extends from their wall onto the sand behind their house which is not the case. I hate to say it but you get this from more mainland people than the locals.

Kualoa has a parking lot.

Most of the beaches from there going up North you just park on the side of the road where ever you can find a spot.

Reactions: sinistr
No problems there. I use mine for fishing weekly from Kualoa all the way north to Hauula. Not much "beach" to take off or land from more grass than anything.

You will find some people that think their property extends from their wall onto the sand behind their house which is not the case. I hate to say it but you get this from more mainland people than the locals.

Kualoa has a parking lot.

Most of the beaches from there going up North you just park on the side of the road where ever you can find a spot.

Ok awesome so at Kualoa I can just launch from the grass. Is there honestly any issue with launching from one of the beaches we'll be by up at Hauula?...it seems like those beaches are pretty empty and there might be one or two other people on the beach with us.

Our local beach here in CA says no launching from the beach but the mean high tide mark (wet portion of the sand) is safe to launch from...I wonder if there's anything similar in Hawaii.

No issues at all taking off from the beach. East side is not real flat when it comes to the sand because of the tide. I usually launch from a cooler so it is level.

If you are there on a weekday there will be minimal people there. Some weekends forget it though there will be people where ever you stop.

Reactions: sinistr
Just took the tour. They are affiliated with Oahu Photography Tours. Not really a Drone specific tour but more a regular camera tour. Only allowed to fly in couple of stops depending on which tour you choose. I choose the Golden sunrise tour and only allowed to fly at 2 of the 5 stops. Good tour & service but limited drone friendly stops. I flew at Magic Island and Ala Moana Park on my own as well, Great spot!

Thanks for the report, @peon56. I'm using the same photo tour group the week of 4/16 but we're doing a private sunset tour. They know I'm bringing my drone and I've asked for places where it should be good to fly. Will let you all know how it goes when I get back.

Also, @Dillusion - your input from a local point of view helps. Will try some of those places when we go out on our own.

I live on O'ahu and there is no such test. Also, other than areas that are prohibited for flight on the sectional chart, there are no areas of the island that are off-limits to drones...and I've flown just about everywhere on the island. Some great places to fly:

- Magic Island
- Maunalua Bay
- Hanauma Bay
- Sandy Beach
- Makapu'u Beach
- Kualoa Regional Park
- Laie Point
- Sunset Beach

There are a bunch of other great spots. Those are just some favorites off the top of my head.

Like all other popular tourist destinations, we have seen a significant spike in droning, both local pilots and tourists. Just be very sensitive to those around you and exercise courtesy & common sense with plenty of Aloha and you'll be fine. Enjoy your stay in our beautiful state!

GoLoves thanks for the info. I will be in O'ahu the week of the 23rd of April. My question is at Hanauma Bay can you take off from the beach area or do you have to take off from the upper area where the parking is? Thank you.

GoLoves thanks for the info. I will be in O'ahu the week of the 23rd of April. My question is at Hanauma Bay can you take off from the beach area or do you have to take off from the upper area where the parking is? Thank you.

No idea. Never wanted to fight the crowd to go to Hanauma Bay ever. I don't think there are any regulations on drones in that area but it can get crowded so I'd say just be careful.

Reactions: Kejoal11
No idea. Never wanted to fight the crowd to go to Hanauma Bay ever. I don't think there are any regulations on drones in that area but it can get crowded so I'd say just be careful.
I just arrived and my question is where do i take off from to get the makapu’u light house? I see its a state park but yet people are recommending it. Im just trying to stay within local laws.

Last edited:
@Kejoal11 - I just finished a trip to Oahu last week (4/16 - 4/22) and got some good flying in at several locations, listed below. As for legality of where to fly, besides my own research, I got great advice from a guy that flies locally. As you would expect, no take-offs or landing in National or State Parks. From what I was told, take-offs and landing from public beaches is okay but if you want to be extra careful, do that from the grass or rocks just beside the beaches. Most 'regional' parks are owned by cities or counties and they don't have drone laws. But...there are a few of those parks with signs that include "Model Aircraft Flying" in their posted list of things you can't do.

Here are a few of the places where I flew successfully in Oahu:
== Lanai Lookout (good views of mountains, winding road, bridge, coastline with cliffs)
== Makapuu Beach Park (I flew from the Park on the north side but you should be able to do the same from the Lookout on the south side, and possibly get the lighthouse from there)
== Halona Blowhole (blowhole is best at high tide; nice beach, rocks and cliffs)
== Spitting Caves (lots of good cliff, rock, wave views; must park on street above and take steep path down to cliffs)
== Huklilau Beach (beautiful long beach & aqua water)
== Shark's Cove in Pupukea (interesting tide pools & rocks)

If you really want a great experience, consider getting a drone photo tour with Oahu Photography Tours. Ask for Alex - he owns a drone a flies often. He knows all the great places to fly and can take you there either with a group or solo. I highly recommend him.

Good flying!

I just arrived and my question is where do i take off from to get the makapu’u light house? I see its a state park but yet people are recommending it. Im just trying to stay within local laws.
Best bet is to hike all the way up the trail and take off there. Can't actually walk up to the light house unless they changed it recently. Been a bit since I been there.

You can hike straight up the mountain side instead of following the paved road at your own risk.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT

What do the grids with numbers in them mean?

Are there any new restrictions on Oahu? I want to get some good footage but don't want to break any laws.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20