Flying in a supermarket?

Reaction score
Hi, I have a mission to take still pictures and video in a brand new supermarket. I wonder if you can fly in gps mode or any mode that's best? The customer also wants a 360 degree panorama, so the machine has to stand still during all 34 exposures, from the first to the last. I only have an hour to go to do all this, so nothing has to go wrong. So I need all the help I can get from you.

Inside a commercial building you'll be lucky to have any appreciable GPS signal.

Flying inside is a whole new bag of troubles because you tend to blow up debris that's been up there for ages, you create some wicked turbulence, and you have to make sure your RTH settings are correct.

I don't have a P4 to know what flight modes are available but the Mavic Platinum (using Go4) has Tripod mode which is pretty good for indoors slow and steady work.

A DJI OSMO camera on a pole/tripod would work perfectly for this task.

Reactions: Indiana_pyro
I agree with the Osmo (or similar) on a pole idea. We have a Glidecam Centurion that can be configured as a single handle gimbal that screws to a monopod. Throw the Sony A7S II on there and you get beautiful 4K stabilized footage (high in the air) with no fear of crashing into the melons. :)

There will be NO GPS signal inside the building, well unless maybe if you're next to some big windows. I've played around inside and agree on the Hover mode (vs RTH), but being a new grocery store, I'm not sure how much dust or dirt you'll stir up, I'm thinking not much.

Good luck with this project and being that you're going to be on the clock, makes it kinda challenging, eh!:

Hi everybody and thanks for tips! I had the opportunity to make a testflight in the actual building. (Not a grocery store, more like a huge hardware stor.) Atti mode, Tripod mode and Beginners(!) mode (I'm not a beginner ;)) and it was a great success! No problem at all! The testvideo was really smooth and I even made a 360° pano!
By the way! Does anybody know how to save the 360° Pano from the DJI Go4 App to the computer (iMac 5K)? It's easy to share to different media as FB but I want to edit the file and hand it over to my client like I do with the other stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA and Squirrel!
Or just do the poor mans gimbal and walk around with the P4 itself! I've done LOTS of in store footage just carrying my P3P and "flying" by hand like a kid with a model airplane.

Ha ha ha. Imagine the strange looks you must be getting from others.

Hi everybody and thanks for tips! I had the opportunity to make a testflight in the actual building. (Not a grocery store, more like a huge hardware stor.) Atti mode, Tripod mode and Beginners(!) mode (I'm not a beginner ;)) and it was a great success! No problem at all! The testvideo was really smooth and I even made a 360° pano!
By the way! Does anybody know how to save the 360° Pano from the DJI Go4 App to the computer (iMac 5K)? It's easy to share to different media as FB but I want to edit the file and hand it over to my client like I do with the other stuff.
Do you have the video for us to see?

Hi, I have a mission to take still pictures and video in a brand new supermarket. I wonder if you can fly in gps mode or any mode that's best? The customer also wants a 360 degree panorama, so the machine has to stand still during all 34 exposures, from the first to the last. I only have an hour to go to do all this, so nothing has to go wrong. So I need all the help I can get from you.
sports mode

Ken heron has done this, in a open supermarket, he has also recently flow in a Hospital.

Hospital video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Flying inside has its unique challenges, but can be done successfully. As mentioned, set RTH to hover, make sure obstacle avoidance is on, and FLY SLOW! Here's one I did in a manufacturing area ... with air conditioning vents, power cables, and air hoses all hanging from the ceiling! I did blow up some dust on the beams and blew some papers around on the desks, but otherwise had some successful flights.

Manufacturing Video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I flew inside a church with a P3P. Turbulence generated, even with high ceilings was wicked. Avoid being near the walls. It will try to suck you in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic