Flying from inside house or car anyone?

I’ve got 2 questions. 1st, does anyone know which antenna in the P4 is the video downlink? I have a bird side booster but can’t install it because I don’t know where. Then 2nd, is there any way to have a wireless connection from the RC to a ground station (router, booster or whatever) that is then wired to the big antennas? I love the idea of the house antennas but would like to keep the flexibility of not being tied to the wall.

Hoping to share my success stories soon.....

As long as you are getting the FPV at the distance away that you need to fly to get what you want, it's all good. On my DBS-02 amped control mod for the P4, I was able to achieve 5.8 miles away with full FPV and only turned around because the battery was at 51%. Closer in, the FPV depend upon the elevation. I generally lose FPV before signal, and just elevate 10-20 feet to restore it. Still waiting to receive Jeremiah's car setup to compare, but am very encouraged by his results! :cool:
Me too! I got new toys in today, but need to confirm, I'm scared now I thought they were supposed to be 5' long

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
This is generally speaking not correct. It might turn out to be correct for specific setups. Amplifiers shouldn't distort to the point of digital data loss nor they are fully linear.
I wasn't speaking generally, but specifically to the GL300 transmitter mods, and I wasn't claiming it was true. I was only reporting what Tony, who designed the FPVLR v2 boosted mod, had said. That part is 100% correct. :cool: If you have any specific knowledge of that setup, and know differently, then please contribute that knowledge, as we are all looking for any way to improve the range with any type of boosters hooked up to our various antennas for the modded GL300 transmitters.

I’ve got 2 questions. 1st, does anyone know which antenna in the P4 is the video downlink? I have a bird side booster but can’t install it because I don’t know where. Then 2nd, is there any way to have a wireless connection from the RC to a ground station (router, booster or whatever) that is then wired to the big antennas? I love the idea of the house antennas but would like to keep the flexibility of not being tied to the wall.

Hoping to share my success stories soon.....
Sorry I don't know answer but, I have my own question sorry. How are you going to power it? Use a BEC to control voltage and amps? And then what amp are you using? I'm thinking about buying another Sunhans or, they have these amp on Amazon that are basically low end Sunhans, they're 2w and only like $36 and seem to come with right stuff, meaning they're cheap but look like the real deal.
The antenna will be easy to check, you can even do it without tearing P4 apart. Pry the legs loose and disconnect one, that's all you have to do, u don't have to do both, after disconnect fire it up and see what channel isn't working, I'd guess if it's like it should be, number "2" should be the downlink, or black one, but that's a shot in the dark really.

Me too! I got new toys in today, but need to confirm, I'm scared now I thought they were supposed to be 5' long

Are your new toys shorter than expected? Which new toys arrived today?

Sorry I don't know answer but, I have my own question sorry. How are you going to power it? Use a BEC to control voltage and amps? And then what amp are you using? I'm thinking about buying another Sunhans or, they have these amp on Amazon that are basically low end Sunhans, they're 2w and only like $36 and seem to come with right stuff, meaning they're cheap but look like the real deal.
The antenna will be easy to check, you can even do it without tearing P4 apart. Pry the legs loose and disconnect one, that's all you have to do, u don't have to do both, after disconnect fire it up and see what channel isn't working, I'd guess if it's like it should be, number "2" should be the downlink, or black one, but that's a shot in the dark really.

It's best done with an RF power meter, so no tear down is necessary. I have one, but haven't learned how to use it yet. Be aware that it can potentially vary from bird to bird, as there is inconsistentcy in their location, depending upon the whim of the assembler. Another gem from Tony. :cool:

Hey, so on losing control first. that happened when I first got the p4 using fpvlr antenna. I thought it was weird to. I don't know what changed but its not that way now. Now that I have the hdmi working and flying from inside the house its back to normal. I will lose video first. I also lost control first on the p3 with the fpvlr bird side mod. Remove that mod and control is restored
Hey bro, ok so, Jake actually contacted me noticing my not so great results ( that's the guy we want to keep around) and suggested me not use channels 30,31,32 as they seem to not work well with the big boy, so there may be something to that. I didn't get an answer from you about how your amps glow, one glows much less, the downlink side but Jake said this also is normal and off the channels I was using it should glow better.

Jerimiah I got my Hi-Gain Hawking (the one new for $40) but think I ordered the wrong thing!
It's a 9dB omni. HOA9SIP? Here pics, I have an identical one and two nice whips of lmr-240 with N to Sma, they're 6' and should do well to help holding remote no?
Anyway, let me know if I screwed up.
80a51a4bb4782059e070bff5f1bdff97.jpg
09ad8b552b4194d1136dc9d933bbbe24.jpg

It's badass if it's the wrong one, I may have to try these things anyway!! Wow
Came with some nice install hardware and everything. Man I hope they're the right ones, I've got over $150 already and still need the LMR-400 but I don't need 50' each side, I may get away with like 30' which would be like 1.8-2dB better

Hey bro, ok so, Jake actually contacted me noticing my not so great results ( that's the guy we want to keep around) and suggested me not use channels 30,31,32 as they seem to not work well with the big boy, so there may be something to that. I didn't get an answer from you about how your amps glow, one glows much less, the downlink side but Jake said this also is normal and off the channels I was using it should glow better.

Jerimiah I got my Hi-Gain Hawking (the one new for $40) but think I ordered the wrong thing!
It's a 9dB omni. HOA9SIP? Here pics, I have an identical one and two nice whips of lmr-240 with N to Sma, they're 6' and should do well to help holding remote no?
Anyway, let me know if I screwed up.
80a51a4bb4782059e070bff5f1bdff97.jpg
09ad8b552b4194d1136dc9d933bbbe24.jpg

Yup those are them. 9dbi right? Yes no on channel 30s they suck! I have great results on channel 21 for sure. Please get this all going and report back. Your almost there!

Reactions: rossco83 and Sim597
Got my a3 yesterday and everything is working with my little fpv cam and firmware is all updated. Ordered a maxxrange from jake and sent him a pm. He was expecting a shipment anytime. He said he would send me his personal panel and cables so he got it sent out today! How awesome is that? Thanks Jake! Of course I got the car mount too. Have a feeling I will need the maxxrange to get out past 8 or nine miles. Plan on seeing how far the omnies will actually go. Then use the maxxrange for some insane distance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 419
Reactions: BoydBros and Sim597
Got my a3 yesterday and everything is working with my little fpv cam and firmware is all updated. Ordered a maxxrange from jake and sent him a pm. He was expecting a shipment anytime. He said he would send me his personal panel and cables so he got it sent out today! How awesome is that? Thanks Jake! Of course I got the car mount too. Have a feeling I will need the maxxrange to get out past 8 or nine miles. Plan on seeing how far the omnies will actually go. Then use the maxxrange for some insane distance.
Wow, so you've got that whole new system from DJI? And then building it, I mean, they're like plug and play, but there is a learning curve, steeper for some then others? So what about the lights in the amps bro? Do I see a difference in how bright each one is on the big boys? On the MaxxRange is where Jake said to stay away from upper channels.

That A3 that's the cutting edge shyt right? Wow, u see the dang Inspire is only $1999 right now?

Yup those are them. 9dbi right? Yes no on channel 30s they suck! I have great results on channel 21 for sure. Please get this all going and report back. Your almost there!
How about the car mounted L-coms? How are they on Channel 30, which has been my default choice, for both FPVLR v2 and DBS-02? Do the car mounted L-coms do better on 21, too?

It's best done with an RF power meter, so no tear down is necessary. I have one, but haven't learned how to use it yet. Be aware that it can potentially vary from bird to bird, as there is inconsistentcy in their location, depending upon the whim of the assembler. Another gem from Tony. :cool:
So you mean it's a non intrusive device? You just roll it by each leg and see what's kicking? I don't know if he has that device. Remember he's asking which antenna is which in the bird.

I posted pics to make sure they're the right ones, they're the right ones, I thought they were 60" long, not 24" or so, I'm really hoping this is finally my fix, as The big antenna isn't working like I thought but that may be fixed I need to test it. And this latest update to me sucks, I got for my first time ever, a compass error while cooking in sport mode. Should I see about returning it? I mean between that tiny infraction and then the stickers were in sideways, and then maybe my sensors got ruined and bla bla bla ....lol.
Edited as it's not related but will say this, the OA is way way to intrusive now and lucky I'm an old school RC pilot and landed while in motion to both slow it down and stop it from crashing.

This antenna looks like my tp link with 12dbi but way shorter.. I will use Rf tester to adjust the system for both car and house. curious to hear what impact the earlier mentioned "double Sunhans" system got not only for range but also penetration.

So you mean it's a non intrusive device? You just roll it by each leg and see what's kicking? I don't know if he has that device. Remember he's asking which antenna is which in the bird.

I posted pics to make sure they're the right ones, they're the right ones, I thought they were 60" long, not 24" or so, I'm really hoping this is finally my fix, as The big antenna isn't working like I thought but that may be fixed I need to test it. And this latest update to me sucks, I got for my first time ever, a compass error while cooking in sport mode. Should I see about returning it? I mean between that tiny infraction and then the stickers were in sideways, and then maybe my sensors got ruined and bla bla bla ....lol.
Edited as it's not related but will say this, the OA is way way to intrusive now and lucky I'm an old school RC pilot and landed while in motion to both slow it down and stop it from crashing.

Yes, the four antennas on the bird are either send and receive for control, or send only for FPV video. There are two of each and each pair should be on diagonally opposite legs for best signal, regardless of aircraft orientation, as that way, one antenna for each will always be on the RC side of the aircraft. The power meter will show continuous power on the video antennas, and there's a YouTube video on how to use it on a DJI Inspire aircraft, as I recall.

As long as my current version still works for me, I don't update, until I absolutely have to. Great way to ground your bird unintentionally!:eek:

OA at full throttle has been measured at 11 mph on radar in one video! I bought the P4 for its speed, not to fly at half the speed!:rolleyes:
image.png

Last edited:
Wow, so you've got that whole new system from DJI? And then building it, I mean, they're like plug and play, but there is a learning curve, steeper for some then others? So what about the lights in the amps bro? Do I see a difference in how bright each one is on the big boys? On the MaxxRange is where Jake said to stay away from upper channels.

I don't pay attention to the amps lately so I am not sure. On the 3w the blue will flash on the video. When I use the 5w it stays sold orange on video. Is that what u mean?

Reactions: Sim597

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak