Flying from inside house or car anyone?

I may be wrong but think it uses wifi with limited range and slow. Would not be my choice for this application anyway.

Just thinking though, since these are WiFi compatible antennas, you could possibly boost the H range from 1 to 2 miles (perfect conditions). Either way, I think I want to try this and I'll likely try it on an H when I get one.

Dude, you're the man. I've enjoyed the knowledge dump. Thank you.

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
I never said that OP's rig will not work. I fully believe the distances he achieved.
I said that you can't fly outside of the radiation pattern of an antenna., and high gain antennas have a more focused beam meaning a much more vertically confined space of flight. I doubted his capability to fly high at close proximity of the controller, with a statically mounted omnidirectional antenna, as that would clearly be outside the radiation pattern.

***Argumentative Material Removed ***

I apologize if any of this is a dupe, I read the first few and last few pages of the thread but not all.

I don't think it's possible to be outside the radiation pattern of an omni antenna. The gain is increased horizontally and decreased vertically, but the radiated signal in any direction is never 0. Plus you have the horizontally radiated signal bouncing off of nearby structures. Directly overhead is certainly in a null of the radiation pattern, but even a tiny amount of signal would reach that few hundred feet.

Having said that, I do have questions. I have seen conflicting info re the function of the 2 antenna ports on the RC. One version is that one antenna is receive video/telemetry from the drone while the other is to send control signals to the drone.

My understanding is that this is a MIMO system, and my (limited) understanding of MIMO is that both antennas basically carry the same Tx/Rx signals, perhaps time shifted a bit? If that is the case I would assume that the system would work just fine with a single good high-gain antenna and either a basic dipole or even just a terminator on the 2nd RC antenna port. Has that been tested?

I haven't seen mention of whether the OP uses boosters and if so where they are located. It would seem that the ideal spot would be at the roof-mounted antennas. That way the receive preamp in the booster could compensate for received signal strength lost in the cable run.

A booster at the RC seems useless for helping the quality of the received signal unless the noise figure of the preamp in the booster happens to be better than the preamp in the RC.

I apologize if any of this is a dupe, I read the first few and last few pages of the thread but not all.

I don't think it's possible to be outside the radiation pattern of an omni antenna. The gain is increased horizontally and decreased vertically, but the radiated signal in any direction is never 0. Plus you have the horizontally radiated signal bouncing off of nearby structures. Directly overhead is certainly in a null of the radiation pattern, but even a tiny amount of signal would reach that few hundred feet.

Having said that, I do have questions. I have seen conflicting info re the function of the 2 antenna ports on the RC. One version is that one antenna is receive video/telemetry from the drone while the other is to send control signals to the drone.

My understanding is that this is a MIMO system, and my (limited) understanding of MIMO is that both antennas basically carry the same Tx/Rx signals, perhaps time shifted a bit? If that is the case I would assume that the system would work just fine with a single good high-gain antenna and either a basic dipole or even just a terminator on the 2nd RC antenna port. Has that been tested?

I haven't seen mention of whether the OP uses boosters and if so where they are located. It would seem that the ideal spot would be at the roof-mounted antennas. That way the receive preamp in the booster could compensate for received signal strength lost in the cable run.

A booster at the RC seems useless for helping the quality of the received signal unless the noise figure of the preamp in the booster happens to be better than the preamp in the RC.

Right now my amps are inside close to the RC. I just posted about changing that. Even with the amps in this location video range is defiantly improved no question. I plan to get the amps outside at some point. The system as of now works so well I have not bothered with it but I am sure I would get a range boost if I changed it.

If anyone wants to watch I am uploading a video now of the indoor ground station in action. Nothing crazy just a little demonstration of the flexibility of the omnies on the roof in non ideal environment. Trees, HEAVY WIFI, ATF, DNR and Mental Health right behind me. For the internet police here this is NOT a usual route so calm down in advance. Anyway, I will post a link when its up. There is no sound and not intended for entertainment purposes. But if you are considering this it gives you an idea what its like to sit in you living room and fly with no chains. Also, for anyone with 4k tvs your in for a treat. I have the Samsung js curved and colors with Lightbridge hdmi out is FANTISATIC. Any hdtv will do and it adds so much more to the experience. It will ruin the current relationship that you have now standing outside with your remote.
I've got the same series TV, and I've got my antenna picked out, I just need some time, but I'm likely doing it, I just can't do the install with my back and knees, so it's gonna be tough.
Right on about the video J, can't wait to see it and the performance of the 9db Hawking omni's.

First your "theory" about useless has been thrown out, put to BED, refuted too many times by users GETTING 6m on there setups, so we can talk "floor noise" and all that, which I doubt would effect 95% of ppl if at all

The MiMo is multiple in, multiple out, you'll find a HUGE problem in that most of not all the Mimo are dual polarized, meaning you have one channel vertical and on horizontal, so for OUR lightbridge Jeremiah has it figured correctly, you need dual antenna, period.

The lightbridge in your DJI remote uses one side for HD downlink, and the other for Flight control, Although I doubt the video down does, it still may send some uplink info but doubt it. The control signal uses much less bandwidth so it makes sense that side is time-division and its that side the Sunhans amps rock, although they work with both sides, on the video side it (the amp) doesn't have as much todo, just receive.

Last edited:
I read about a guy mirroring his DJI Go feed to AppleTV and I live in a location where I could fly from my living room inside my house as I look out over a nice large area. I wonder how things would work if I tried mirroring to my TV and watching the feed there as I fly?
Thanks for that! Mirroring the DJI GO iPhone 6+ feed to Apple TV works! Just tried it! Nothing like using a 46" HDTV monitor instead of an iPhone 6+ for your tablet! iPad 12.9" Pro users, eat your hearts out! My 46" is bigger! :p No HDMI board needed! Way cool!

Last edited:
Reactions: BoydBros
I tried to fly from inside my house yesterday and mirror DJI Go to my AppleTV (I live in and area where it's possible). I was inside and had the mirror working but as the Phantom was warming up I lost my AppleTV connection to the Ipad and couldn't get it back. I just went outside and flew. Thought it would be cool to sit up and watch the tv with the wife of the Phantoms view.
Did you ever get it to stay connected, after the Phantom warmed up? Wonder why it loses connection...:confused:

The lightbridge in your DJI remote uses one side for HD downlink, and the other for Flight control, Although I doubt the video down does, it still may send some uplink info but doubt it.
Here's a video on YouTube that uses the Immersion RF meter to measure signal from each antenna. It shows that one antenna does not transmit at all, there is zero RF power going out. It's a long video, but interesting data, so much so that I've bought one of those $125 Immersion RF meters to measure a difference between my P3P RC and P4 RC. I will also be comparing P3 and P4 RF out for comparison. I know there's going to be a difference, but I'd like to see how much, instead of relying on the FCC filing numbers. I also have an Inspire RC that I'll compare.

Last edited:
Did you ever get it to stay connected, after the Phantom warmed up? Wonder why it loses connection...:confused:

I did get it to stay connected the next time I tried. The first time I was inside the house so I could watch the tv but that's the time it didn't work. The next time I was outside in front of my house and mirrored to Apple TV and my wife stayed inside and watched on our television. Had a few 'buffering' glitches in the first 30 seconds or so but smoothed out and worked fine.

Thanks for that! Mirroring the DJI GO iPhone 6+ feed to Apple TV works! Just tried it! Nothing like using a 46" HDTV monitor instead of an iPhone 6+ for your tablet! iPad 12.9" Pro users, eat your hearts out! My 46" is bigger! :p No HDMI board needed! Way cool!

What's the lag like when you mirror. Maybe I am wrong but I would think straight hdmi to the tv would be better.

Reactions: Sim597
Here's a video on YouTube that uses the Immersion RF meter to measure signal from each antenna. It shows that one antenna does not transmit at all, there is zero RF power going out. It's a long video, but interesting data, so much so that I've bought one of those $125 Immersion RF meters to measure a difference between my P3P RC and P4 RC. I will also be comparing P3 and P4 RF out for comparison. I know there's going to be a difference, but I'd like to see how much, instead of relying on the FCC filing numbers. I also have an Inspire RC that I'll compare.

The FCC report was clear that only one antenna transmits, the question I thought unanswered was do both receive to provide diversity and/or MIMO?

Didn't I say that I wasn't sure, and I thought one did the video downlink, and the other did both the RC/TX because I felt that channel has less throughput, not overall traffic, obviously the other channel is quite busy, it also backs up what I thought about one amp doing most of the work, as far as the switching is concerned.
Nice job, I've also been seeing those spectrum analyzers for $125 or so but my next $120 will be spent here likely as my amps and toys will be here mañana!
cb3f205238cc7c5ca1d75c21390cb794.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's them. I thought about doing a video and fly across town just to show the real range in the middle of a decent sized city but I probably won't so the thread won't get shut down. Good price on the hawking to. Totally worth it.

Reactions: Sim597
What's the lag like when you mirror. Maybe I am wrong but I would think straight hdmi to the tv would be better.
I have a new Sammy 9 series 65", and an Asus android driven ZenPad (I bought for this hobby alone) but have a 6+ and an older 1080p Apple TV, so I am hoping among everything, something works, because I have to admit, when on YouTube on the phone, that one click to TV works better then, well, a lot easier then, the Apple TV. It would be nice to wirelessly do it, instead of another dang $89 (Amazon) for the HDMI out

Didn't I say that I wasn't sure, and I thought one did the video downlink, and the other did both the RC/TX because I felt that channel has less throughput, not overall traffic, obviously the other channel is quite busy, it also backs up what I thought about one amp doing most of the work, as far as the switching is concerned.
Nice job, I've also been seeing those spectrum analyzers for $125 or so but my next $120 will be spent here likely as my amps and toys will be here mañana!
cb3f205238cc7c5ca1d75c21390cb794.jpg

Yeah, I want to read your findings bro, for sure. How do you like analyzer? Man, I've been into car stereos from the late 80s when all our stuff, and still is for bleeding edge, made here in the States, nuclear grade, bullet proof, weldable Amps and kit. I have some big dough rapped up in the testing side of it, mostly the places I went to buy and/or be supported by the audio guys, they had the big money ticket stuff, but for $125 that unit looked like a decent device, multi color always helps me "see" things more clearly, idk, maybe it's just an aesthetic thing, still, tell us how you like that device

Dude, thanks for backing me up! Lol

That's them. I thought about doing a video and fly across town just to show the real range in the middle of a decent sized city but I probably won't so the thread won't get shut down. Good price on the hawking to. Totally worth it.
I watched your video, it was cool, now, when you went and kinda turned with that canal, or small river, was that at your limit at all? I was hoping for some info via text thru the vid to say like "here I'm at full bars, or this is where my limit is" but still, your low and far, you were in sport so covering ground quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West