Flying below altitude of takeoff point

IMG_8955.PNG
I think it's supposed to RTH whenever you command it to. That's what it's there for.

Go try it. If horizontal distance between aircraft and home is less than 20m (about 65') and you initiate RTH it will land where it is. Like I said, go try it and learn what it does before you actually need to use it! ;O)
Will do. Thanks.

You want to read the very first sentence of what you posted. Then, you might do what I suggested and give it a try. I'm talking from experiences where I was within 20m of the home point, initiated RTH and had the bird start to land RIGHT WHERE IT WAS.

Don't want/need to continue this.... Just go try it for yourself.
Yeah. I'm not the one disputing it. I'm trying to back it up. It happened to me once. Landed on my roof.

Yeah. I'm not the one disputing it. I'm trying to back it up. It happened to me once. Landed on my roof.
So sorry, I read it wrong. Bet landing on your roof was exciting! Fortunately, mine occurred out in the open. Once I learned what the issue was, I've managed to avoid having it happen. Imagine a new, inexperienced pilot flying his new Phantom 30' off the shore of a lake and hitting RTH. Talk about panic setting in!

Thanks for setting me straight.

So sorry, I read it wrong. Bet landing on your roof was exciting! Fortunately, mine occurred out in the open. Once I learned what the issue was, I've managed to avoid having it happen. Imagine a new, inexperienced pilot flying his new Phantom 30' off the shore of a lake and hitting RTH. Talk about panic setting in!

Thanks for setting me straight.
No worries. :)

Just to get back to the OP, now I've slept I would exercise caution with regards to antenna polarisation. In the diagrams I've seen the drone is shown above head height with the radio signals emitted at a diagonal away from the ground. If not flying long distances then it shouldn't be a problem but just be wary that signal loss due to drone being in a null point to the transmitting antenna could cause premature RTH. Just a point. Do feel free to shoot me down in flames though. :)

Here's a couple shots when I went down there on foot...

IMG_4504
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4526
byCameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4524
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4505
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4514
by CameraMan, on Flickr

It'll be nice to get a different perspective of this place with a drone. These were taken in 2011. I have not been down there since because getting over the weeds and plants to get down there I cut my leg open on a cactus prong. I vowed never to go down there again even though the owner said I could at my own risk.
Looking forward to see the video. Cool place !!!

AA4D5DEB-FFAF-4331-9315-B97C612BD543.JPG
Here's a couple shots when I went down there on foot...

IMG_4504
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4526
byCameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4524
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4505
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4514
by CameraMan, on Flickr

It'll be nice to get a different perspective of this place with a drone. These were taken in 2011. I have not been down there since because getting over the weeds and plants to get down there I cut my leg open on a cactus prong. I vowed never to go down there again even though the owner said I could at my own risk.
I Look forward to seeing your video. I have flown below take off as well. I was on a very high Vvisa.

Attachments

• 2EEEA0F3-D549-4243-BCE0-7C779BABBB88.JPG
    2EEEA0F3-D549-4243-BCE0-7C779BABBB88.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 296
Just a dumb *** bewbi question that could be added here :)

when flying over 'water' be it either creek, river or ocean - does the P4P+ ( P4P ) have any problems knowing that the water surface actually exists :p
....as in it does not want to go down below the 'water' level to the dirt below ??

So if your flying over the ocean and you want to get down low to video a boat etc, the drone will not get submerged if you allow it to go down too low, it will see the water surface as it would see 'land' and it will know that is as far as it can go, so it slows the decent and possibly hovers above the water surface ??

I'm pretty sure water=bad for these quadcopters. I wouldn't want to lose control over water. And I purposely wouldn't toy with the idea of trying to hover centimeters over water.

Not the best video. My original intention was to fly down the driveway and turn towards the front of the building. No go. Too many trees covering driveway and I'm not that great at driving this thing yet. :)

Also, it was really cloudy and rain was headed my way so I needed to get down there quick. Let me know what you all think.

I think I will eventually get the Litchi App. I think this would have been a much cooler video with that.

Reactions: Simzy666
An interesting little story. While I was bringing this bird back to it's take off point, my phone wigged out a bit just as 4 birds started checking out my bird. I couldn't get it to go straight up but I was able to get it moving forward. It was fast enough to get away from the birds.

I had read somewhere here that if your drone ever gets attacked by birds to fly straight up to get away from them. Apparently they can't fly straight up. I couldn't do that. Lucky me I guess.
Whew!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Simzy666
Not the best video. My original intention was to fly down the driveway and turn towards the front of the building. No go. Too many trees covering driveway and I'm not that great at driving this thing yet. :)

Also, it was really cloudy and rain was headed my way so I needed to get down there quick. Let me know what you all think.

I think I will eventually get the Litchi App. I think this would have been a much cooler video with that.

Nice to see, but not the best video haha. Go practice and come back with more of that place. I did just subscribe to your tube channel :)
If you want you can check mine, I'm still learning too.
SwedenFromAbove

If the bridge gives you compass errors, you can always launch from the side of the road prior to the bridge. Just watch for cars, and walk out to the bridge once it's in the air.
Yeah, if there's any amount of metal in the bridge, you'll probably get errors. I tried a picnic table in a park recently and the 'copter was all confused. Set it in the grass and it was fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT