Flying below altitude of takeoff point

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but there's an old water mill near my house. The roof sits at around the same level as the bridge where I plan on taking off from. Is it possible to fly the P4P below it's starting point or will that just cause confusion with the drone?

no problems at all , just don't fly behind anything that would cause you to lose signal , launch point will be 0 altitude , altitude numbers will be negative , RTH will climb to launch point (0) then to your set RTH altitude , then land back at launch point (0)

Reactions: Nesher, uke and Loz
Just a word of caution. Depending on what material is in the bridge, you could get compass errors taking off from it! Hard telling what type of metal reinforcing could be in it. Might want to consider moving off to one end or the other. Whatever you do, DO NOT recalibrate the compass if you do get an error message on the bridge.

Like kndll said if you lose signal under the bridge your bird will climb (into the bridge), you can set in Go that in the even of signal loss you can just hover, this may be something to consider if you can move from your position to regain signal, I would make sure that I am in VLOS at all times if I would be under a bridge to prevent any signal loss. Your RTH as you set in GO will always be above your launch point so you can fly below your launch point as you wish.

IMAG0671.jpg
by CameraMan, on Flickr

This is the water mill I am talking about. You can see it better from where I am standing here (on the bridge). There is a driveway further down but it is gate locked (I can park my car in the driveway and keep off the road too). I rarely see anyone down there. I have climbed through some weeds to get in there and down to the front side of the building. This might be one of my first big challenges after I get used to flying the P4P. I can park in the driveway and take off and land from there. The driveway is still a little higher than the building but not by much. There's nobody down there ever so I don't have to worry about bothering any people or pets.

Here's a couple shots when I went down there on foot...

IMG_4504
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4526
byCameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4524
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4505
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4514
by CameraMan, on Flickr

It'll be nice to get a different perspective of this place with a drone. These were taken in 2011. I have not been down there since because getting over the weeds and plants to get down there I cut my leg open on a cactus prong. I vowed never to go down there again even though the owner said I could at my own risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simzy666
Guess that top sign said trespassing allowed.

Reactions: Simzy666
Guess that top sign said trespassing allowed.

The owner of the property next door saw me taking photos on the bridge said I could go in there at my own risk. He then pulled into the driveway next door and went into the house. I checked the county records and saw that he owned this property and the one next door. So I took him at his word. :)

Reactions: Nesher
If the bridge gives you compass errors, you can always launch from the side of the road prior to the bridge. Just watch for cars, and walk out to the bridge once it's in the air.

If the bridge gives you compass errors, you can always launch from the side of the road prior to the bridge. Just watch for cars, and walk out to the bridge once it's in the air.

My only fear is the bridge is part of a well traveled state highway. There are 18 wheelers that I'm afraid would suck up that little drone. :O

I think my best bet would be taking off and landing in the driveway.

I was thinking about asking the same type of question, however I am looking to fly take off from the side of a mountain, then descend down the side of a cliff. Can I assume the same negative altitude, RTH action would apply at say, -100'? I have a standard if that makes a difference

Can I assume the same negative altitude, RTH action would apply at say, -100'? I have a standard if that makes a difference
The altitude is always zero feet at the takeoff point. The altitude will be negative when you fly below the takeoff point. If RTH is initiated when the altitude is negative, your Phantom will ascend up to 0 feet and then ascend to the set RTH altitude.

Reactions: Nesher
Sorry. Does that mean it will go to +100 feet?
All heights are relative to home = 0
It doesn't matter if you are flying below or above home point.
If your have RTH set at 30 metres (100 ft), it would climb to 30 metres above homepoint level before returning to home

Ok so provided you don't have something above your drone I.e flying under a bridge you should be fine even if RTH is activated.

Ok so provided you don't have something above your drone I.e flying under a bridge you should be fine even if RTH is activated.
The key would be to make sure you are not underneath anything before you commit to RTH.

I finally got my P4P yesterday. I charged the batteries last night and I will be practicing today after work closer to home. There's a large open football/soccer field where I can get this thing up in the air and practice using the controller. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Last edited:
Here's a couple shots when I went down there on foot...

IMG_4504
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4526
byCameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4524
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4505
by CameraMan, on Flickr

IMG_4514
by CameraMan, on Flickr

It'll be nice to get a different perspective of this place with a drone. These were taken in 2011. I have not been down there since because getting over the weeds and plants to get down there I cut my leg open on a cactus prong. I vowed never to go down there again even though the owner said I could at my own risk.
Awesome looking building and site. Must be a great photo opportunity in the Fall.

This is probably a dumb question but there's an old water mill near my house. The roof sits at around the same level as the bridge where I plan on taking off from. Is it possible to fly the P4P below it's starting point or will that just cause confusion with the drone?
You won't. have any problem with that. Just remember that it is lower than your homeport on the way back. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20