Flying above water

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just want to know how safe it is to fly over water. I was flying near a dam the other day and didn't want to risk it. Please check out the video and let me know what you think!

Thanks

Hi everyone. I just want to know how safe it is to fly over water.
It's about as dangerous as flying over solid ground ... except there are no trees or buildings to hit and no interference.
DJI_0342b-XL.jpg

I think it's safer to fly over water than land. If it falls, you're not going to land on anybody and hurt them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. I just want to know how safe it is to fly over water. I was flying near a dam the other day and didn't want to risk it. Please check out the video and let me know what you think!

Thanks

You will be able to do great footage over Harties!

Here's the South Coast:-

I live in NYC. Most of my flights are over the rivers. I'd rather just lose my investment rather than lose it plus add negative press to our hobby.

Go for it, and enjoy :):)

like everyone said it doesnt matter, i had few drones, never felt confidant about any of them and didnt fly above water, with the phantom im not afraid i just trust it, and when on land i never fly above buildings or parks or people, always open places, so in case it crashes, i dont hurt anyone

I too am scared to fly over water, ocean that is, but then again I fly over my lake all the time.

It is safer over water, someone said here, whether its over land or water above 80 feet if the drone falls its more then likely going to be a total loss.

The problem with the ocean at least for me, the wind, its much windier, I cannot see how anyone gets lower then 20mph average with 30mph gusts

I live in NYC. Most of my flights are over the rivers. I'd rather just lose my investment rather than lose it plus add negative press to our hobby.

Go for it, and enjoy :):)
Where you at? I live in NY also. Sometimes I fly by the east river.

I'm hopefully going to take the P3 to Donegal in Eire next month and the beaches there are incredible, so fingers crossed I can get it on the plane!

Reactions: DronerLee
If you're nervous about flying over water, you can practice - and build your confidence - by flying over pools in your neighbourhood....
:) j/k

Just beware of birds. They love water so don't fly too low. You never know when one will panic and take off.
British seagulls in particular are huge and nasty. At 400' they never trouble me.
All those white dots lol. They all seem to stay within about 100' of the ground or sea.
seagulls.jpg

It's about as dangerous as flying over solid ground ... except there are no trees or buildings to hit and no interference.
DJI_0342b-XL.jpg
I think it's safer to fly over water than land. If it falls, you're not going to land on anybody and hurt them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres definitely less worry of flying into anything or damaging property but are they problems in regards to the sensors being able to function?

Thanks for the replies

Theres definitely less worry of flying into anything or damaging property but are they problems in regards to the sensors being able to function?

Thanks for the replies
The only sensors which may be affected would be your VPS, and then only if you fly low over the water. Simply disable VPS and you will be good.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl