Bad solar storms starting today.

Reaction score
They expect K8 to a possible K9. So how will this affect our flying? Let us know if you are having any anomalies. It would be interesting to see if there are any difference from any other day of flying.

They expect K8 to a possible K9. So how will this affect our flying? Let us know if you are having any anomalies. It would be interesting to see if there are any difference from any other day of flying.
I had to look up how long these things last. Minutes? Hours? Days? According to my research, a typical Solar Storm lasts "minutes to hours." But they can also come in succession. The article didn't mention neither length nor subsequent successions for this particular storm. They did say they would "remain on alert until the end of the UTC day." All that said...

I flew a job yesterday with no issues. But, apparently, the Solar Storm was long gone by then.

D

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I had to look up how long these things last. Minutes? Hours? Days? According to my research, a typical Solar Storm lasts "minutes to hours." But they can also come in succession. The article didn't mention neither length nor subsequent successions for this particular storm. They did say they would "remain on alert until the end of the UTC day." All that said...

I flew a job yesterday with no issues. But, apparently, the Solar Storm was long gone by then.

D
I don't think they would have a defined line on startup and stopping. It seems as though they didn't have much influence on our flying. I wish there was a little more discussion on the issue which seem to be important enough to be listed on Aloft. It was in the maximum range for causing possible problems. Don't know?

Reactions: Harleydude
It's kind of fun and interesting to think about and discuss, and in the early days of GPS drones, it was concerning enough to be included in the uavforecast site.

www.uavforecast.com

But as Meta4 points out, and as msinger confirms, it's been over a decade now, and there hasn't been a single report of a drone having a navigational problem due to a high Kp index.

Reactions: Harleydude

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl