Flying above water

Theres definitely less worry of flying into anything or damaging property but are they problems in regards to the sensors being able to function?
None at all, everything works fine out at sea.
VPS is the only possible issue if you want to fly down close to the water but VPS doesn't work when you are higher than 3 metres.
And since VPS isn't much use outdoors anyway, many flyers just switch it off anyway.

unless its salt water. dippped one in the ocean for 5 minutes. toast. i would rather have hit land.

Thats the part I'm slightly worried about too. Crash on land and you can recover the thing... crash in the sea or something and it's game over

VPS is the only possible issue if you want to fly down close to the water but VPS doesn't work when you are higher than 3 metres.
And since VPS isn't much use outdoors anyway, many flyers just switch it off anyway.

What mode would you fly in over water?

I agree.
20 mph gusting winds today but the sun was shining - we don't get that very often! I have now managed 4 flights in a week!
jerseybeach1.jpg

I used to be scared to fly long distances or over water. Now I have total faith in my P3. Just stay high to avoid seagulls.
I always use PGPS - especially in windy conditions.

I've recently started ship chasing. I only ever go for distance records over water. Ship chasing has also led me to tracking the ships I spot online. The big cargo ship (Atlantic Conveyor) in the video is currently in the Atlantic on its way to Halifax in Canada.

Yep, mines been off since buying my P3

I've recently started ship chasing. I only ever go for distance records over water. Ship chasing has also led me to tracking the ships I spot online. The big cargo ship (Atlantic Conveyor) in the video is currently in the Atlantic on its way to Halifax in Canada.

AMAZING!! video!

I've recently started ship chasing. .. Ship chasing has also led me to tracking the ships I spot online.
The big cargo ship (Atlantic Conveyor) in the video is currently in the Atlantic on its way to Halifax in Canada.
Great shots. Ships are so photogenic and make for good flying missions.
Looks like you are in a good location for ship chasing too.
If you haven't already found it, this is probably the best resource for seeing what shipping is nearby and displaying info about the ships and their voyages: AIS Vessel Tracking - AIS Positions Maps | AIS Marine Traffic

Container boats are the speedsters of the cargo ship world and can be challenging photo subjects when they are travelling fast.
Atlantic Conveyor is a boxy looking ship. Here's a more elegant one for you:
DJI_0581a-XL.jpg

Have a go at those wind turbines on the horison......

:rolleyes:

;)

If you haven't already found it, this is probably the best resource for seeing what shipping is nearby and displaying info about the ships and their voyages: AIS Vessel Tracking - AIS Positions Maps | AIS Marine Traffic

Container boats are the speedsters of the cargo ship world and can be challenging photo subjects when they are travelling fast.
DJI_0581a-XL.jpg
I have a 24 mile drive to get to my nearest port. I've downloaded the Marine traffic app to track ships coming in, it's quite interesting.

How dare you infer the Atlantic Conveyor is boxy! She was my first and will always be remembered fondly .... even if she's a little broad shouldered

Have a go at those wind turbines on the horison......

:rolleyes:

;)
I think they're too far away i think. Smart RTH saved my *** on a couple of flights that day and I had no idea it was on. I worked out I would have been at 9% over the sea if normal RTH would have kicked in at 25%.

She's an unusual combination container ship and roll on/roll off vessel with that large drop-down ramp on the stern.
She isn't too far off Halifax, Canada as we speak.

DJI_0581a-XL.jpg
Great photo.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl