Flying above clouds - Bad idea?

Yes I did and I also understand both the physics involved and the practicality of what is being suggested, let's agree to stick with drones !! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Wow let's put this thing to bed, by the FAR's at least.

From the chart 91.155 (BASIC VFR MINIMUMS)

Class C, class B, class E Air space below 10,000 feet MSL:
visibility 3 statute mile minimum.
500 feet below
1000 feet above
2000 feet horizontally

Class G 1200 feet or less above the surface regardless of MSL altitude for aircraft other than helicopters daytime as provided in 91.155(b) 3 statute mile visibility, clear of clouds.

For helicopters 1/2 statute mile visibility clear of clouds

More than 1200 feet above the surface but less than 10,000 feet MSL daytime one statute mile visibility
500 feet below
1000 feet above
2000 feet horizontally

So even if you are standing on a mountain above 1200 feet you still have to be within 400 feet of the ground and 1000 feet above the clouds. I will leave you to figure out how to do that!

If you want to consider yourself a helicopter which I don't believe the FAA does you can't even fly when there are clouds in the sky.

I think this makes it clear that it would be illegal for a sUAS to fly above the clouds.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, beautiful shot above by the way, I'm just saying I will not be flying above the clouds anytime soon with my P4 regardless of what the weather conditions will be doing to the inside of my drone.

Dangerd. I totally agree but there are those here who will not be told as they ( as always want to do it their way regardless of any rules). And cannot accept another point of view . Their loss.

Just want to clarify to avoid misunderstandings. The flight I took above the fog is in total safety for others. In these weather condition there is no air traffic at all. I took off from a hilly area and got out of the fog at 140 mt / 450 feet and went up to 200 mt / 660 feet. The area around are woods. Getting back to flying in humid conditions, last spring I made a 10 minute stress flight into a snow shower with temperature around freezing. I was amazed to get my Phantom back completely dry. This is a small piece of the video

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4