Fly small inexpensive quad-copters.....first?

fighter-pilot-helmet-wallpaper-2.jpg

Get ready, get set............................

Last edited:
I have a very small RC helicopter I've flown on and off for years before I even thought about buying a drone. Totally different animals to fly, although the control setup is the same. My experience with quads was nonexistent before I bought this one, so I took it VERY slow - didn't want to lose a $1000+ aircraft to stupidity. I still set limits on the range to allow me to do what I set out to do without exposing myself to undue risk.

Once you're used to the way it handles in GPS mode, ATTI isn't all that different - just a little more demanding on your flight skills and less room for error.

I can see both sides of the argument here. I started off with 250 race quads where the skill set is completely different, no real interest in hovering and changing altitude, they are all about forward motion at low level and high speed, avoiding obstacles along the way as you duck in and out of trees, goalposts etc.
Phantoms are a very stable aerial platform, ideal for getting unusual video or still images. As well as that they are packed with tech that IMHO many new pilots rely on too much and it is this that accounts for fly-aways and other crashes. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE MY PHANTOM!
But I guess you have a simple choice, buy a small "toy" UAV to learn flying skills on, or go for broke (hopefully NOT literally) with your choice of phantom from day one. Whichever route you take the chances are you will have crashes so get used to it and ENJOY

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94