Fly in large arena full of people

Reaction score
I do large concerts and events in major arenas that hold 15 to 20,000 people.. Can I fly this thing around over people heads and it reliable enough i won't kill anyone :)

It seems it would get a lot cooler footage than my big jib crane camera can

I agree the footage would be great. But no, you would have no guarantee that nothing would ever go wrong. If you could get 15000 people to sign a release form, maybe.

erikjohn19 said:
I do large concerts and events in major arenas that hold 15 to 20,000 people.. Can I fly this thing around over people heads and it reliable enough i won't kill anyone :)

Dave Pitman said:
I agree the footage would be great. But no, you would have no guarantee that nothing would ever go wrong. If you could get 15000 people to sign a release form, maybe.

In some cases that may already be done, the TOS for event tickets sometimes includes indemnification against things like that.

But, the point is still very valid that there is NO way to insure you won't injure anyone in the crowd other than stringing a net above them or something equally prohibitive.

However, at many events the official (contracted) providers of video services and such usually have a space separate from the crowd, behind or beside the stage, that would mitigate the risk if you flew strictly within that space and not too high. But, the possibility would still exist of the Phantom getting away from you and wreaking all sorts of havoc.

OI Photography said:
But, the point is still very valid that there is NO way to insure you won't injure anyone in the crowd other than stringing a net above them or something equally prohibitive.

On an episode of Ted Talks featuring amazing quad programming that included the use of reflectors and cameras to provide the quads with very precise situational awareness, nets were still used between the audience and the demonstration. Note that these quads were being operated far more precisely than would a hand flown Phantom.

Perhaps a better answer to the OP would be to ask your attorney what your liability might be should an accident occur. My guess is that your insurance policy would be significant, and with no insurance, you would be gambling your financial future. For a sound business decision, the footage would have to be worth that risk. I don't think you are going to see drones replace cable operated "flying cameras" at big events anytime soon.

OI Photography said:
In some cases that may already be done, the TOS for event tickets sometimes includes indemnification against things like that.

Just a niggle, but indemnification is not the same as a release of liability. In this type of situation the organizers/venue would seek indemnification from the quad operator for any and all claims arising out of the operation of the quad.

ElGuano said:
OI Photography said:

Just a niggle, but indemnification is not the same as a release of liability. In this type of situation the organizers/venue would seek indemnification from the quad operator for any and all claims arising out of the operation of the quad.

Point taken :) And yeah, anybody who would contract to do something like that would have to have their own liability coverage separate from the venue's.

I have flown multiple times inside a large horse show arena...as a (free) favor to the owner (a friend) WHILE populated with people, many of them ON horses. The flights and video have been AT his request. He uses the videos internally for promotion of events.

Here is a short video. What you CAN'T see is the whole audience exactly UNDER the copter, assembled for the awards ceremony. I was about 20 feet up, clearance over the heads by about 12 feet.

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com ... &k=PZBpxs5

The beauty of it, from a "horse-people" point of view, is that the horses were fascinated with the Phantom and virtually every one of them was watching in rapt attention, ears erect and forward....which makes for good footage.

We discussed this issue at length. Since I was acting as his agent, at his request, without reimbursement, we assumed (without contacting a lawyer) that any issues would be covered by his extensive event insurance, and he indemnified ME from individual liability.

I think my answer to you is 1)...these things are inherently unstable and unpredictable and in a public event liability for injury would be potentially extensive. 2) If you are acting as an individual agent for your own purposes...then YOU are at risk. 3) I think there are special situations in which you would be covered by the events/arena insurance...Protecting YOU from individual liability, but it is up to YOU to ask for and clarify that. And, of course, 4) You can't be paid for it (if you are in the US). The legal detail that the videotaping is (or may be) basically illegal (and should not have been taking place) might complicate how the EVENT/SITE insurance company might view having to pay for damages...even if you were acting as an agent for the event.

Your boom and alternate machinery itself presents some risks...to someone. What is your insurance for THAT?? (I don't need to know...just asking to get you thinking about THAT.

erikjohn19 said:

I've done this at a few outside concert events and there were a few restrictions. A) Not directly over crowd B) with local law enforcement approval C) Venue & promoters approval and D) bands(s) approval - and as mentioned we can't and don't charge for footage.

This was Alabama load in & show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkrfE_bCu4U

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl