Fly hard, crash hard (manual mode with gopro hero 3)

Reaction score
Thought some of you guys might enjoy this. I was out today doing a fun fly with my phantom and SMACK! I slammed it right into the ground pretty hard. It was operator error which could've easily been avoided, but I let my confidence get the best of me. Didn't do too much damage though, just a bent prop.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and here's a picture of the aftermath.

GOPR0108_zpsryoiqsz1.jpg

:eek: That had ta hurt !! Ya getting pretty smooth with your flips and rolls :)
Glad all that was hurt was the prop and see your greening up pretty good as we are here !
Thanks for sharing !:)

Reactions: kitari
I know I shouldn't ask but how do you flip it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to it, when you're in manual mode, you just hold the right stick in direction you want to flip and let off once it levels out. (Disclaimer: Fly in manual mode at your own risk, it's a very different flying experience, and will claim the life of your phantom very quick if you don't know what you're doing.) :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for sharing kitari,
My first good laugh of the day. It must be a nice warm day there for the prop to bend like that. Mine usually just go snap, crackle and pop.
Awesome flying, and yep, you're getting really smooth.
I wonder what your wife is going to say if you smack into the pool, when it has water in it.

Thanks for sharing kitari,
My first good laugh of the day. It must be a nice warm day there for the prop to bend like that. Mine usually just go snap, crackle and pop.
Awesome flying, and yep, you're getting really smooth.
I wonder what your wife is going to say if you smack into the pool, when it has water in it.

Thanks, and yep, it was a nice warm day out when I did that. I think around 75-80F. The pool is up now, so who knows, you might just see it some day. (hopefully not though) At least my gopro is waterproof. :p

... At least my gopro is waterproof. :p

That's what I thought too. Tried to confirm that the other day and could not. Can you confirm it's waterproof?

That's what I thought too. Tried to confirm that the other day and could not. Can you confirm it's waterproof?

Well the case it came in is waterproof at least. Here's a video I took with it inside of my little fish tank. When the pool gets cleaned out better, I'll put it in there as well when I get around to it. So far so good.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dur, I knew that... :confused: The only problem is, I knew that about 30 seconds after hitting post. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised your bird is so agile with the weight of the GoPro and case. Will it perform much better with the FC40 camera?

By the way, it looks like when you stay inverted for an entire second, you loose lots of altitude. Are you trying to find a work-around for that? LOL

Nothing to it, when you're in manual mode, you just hold the right stick in direction you want to flip and let off once it levels out. (Disclaimer: Fly in manual mode at your own risk, it's a very different flying experience, and will claim the life of your phantom very quick if you don't know what you're doing.) :)

I doubt I'll ever fly mine in manual because of the risks, but how close is it to flying an X5C?

Dur, I knew that... :confused: The only problem is, I knew that about 30 seconds after hitting post. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised your bird is so agile with the weight of the GoPro and case. Will it perform much better with the FC40 camera?

By the way, it looks like when you stay inverted for an entire second, you loose lots of altitude. Are you trying to find a work-around for that? LOL

Well, with the fc40 camera, you get less of a drop because of the weight difference, but I didn't notice any differences in agility otherwise. As for losing altitude fast when inverted, I actually like it like that. Just have to compensate for the extra weight so I don't smash it into the ground again. :eek:

Aren't you afraid of "VRS" while you're descending so fast... LOL

I doubt I'll ever fly mine in manual because of the risks, but how close is it to flying an X5C?

Never flown one so I don't know. In manual mode, throttle response is higher, and your right stick controls are at 100% with no autolevel. So in other words, if you tilt forward it'll keep tilting (and will flip over and over) as long as you give it that input, and when you let off the right stick, it'll stay in that position until you pull back in the opposite direction to level it out yourself.

Aren't you afraid of "VRS" while you're descending so fast... LOL

I was when I first played around with it, but I haven't had any issues with it yet. The secret is to talk to your phantom from time to time to let it know that you love it and it'll do what you ask it to when you fly it. :p

Good stuff man! Looks like trying for the double did it. Cool that the multiple bounces didn't do more damage.

Never flown one so I don't know. In manual mode, throttle response is higher, and your right stick controls are at 100% with no autolevel. So in other words, if you tilt forward it'll keep tilting (and will flip over and over) as long as you give it that input, and when you let off the right stick, it'll stay in that position until you pull back in the opposite direction to level it out yourself.

Seems like the Phantom manual mode is more like an airplane in the sense you move the ailerons and leave them, the plane will continue to roll on that axis. I don't think you can get the X5C to flip like that. But somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

I was when I first played around with it, but I haven't had any issues with it yet. The secret is to talk to your phantom from time to time to let it know that you love it and it'll do what you ask it to when you fly it. :p

Dude, I was talking about while inverted... Yoking... pulling ur leg, but thanks.

From what I have seen of your flying, you're always moving too quickly to catch a hint of VRS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic