FLOWN INSIDE A NIGHT CLUB FIRST TIME EVER

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't this against the current CAA rules? Flying a UAS in a public space with high risk to individuals in the crowd? This guy sounds like he is compensated by the nightclub so wouldn't this ironically be considered commercial use?

nothing productive or beneficial to the phantom community is happening with this thread. instead of wasting your time here, why not look at another post where you guys may learn something or possibly help someone worth helping.

ianwood said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't this against the current CAA rules? Flying a UAS in a public space with high risk to individuals in the crowd? This guy sounds like he is compensated by the nightclub so wouldn't this ironically be considered commercial use?

I am in the UK, also I never got paid for Flying the Phantom I get paid for dancing and entertaining.

I saw this thread when it was just posted and had no replies yet. I watched the video and was not very impressed and realised the risks. When I kept seeing it being posted to I didn't open it again because I didn't find the video that fascinating. Since it kept going I started to wonder what made people so interested in this topic. Well that question is answered now.

Phantoms and groups of nearby people don't mix. I don't think opinions are very much divided about that. We also know most people have not yet actually seen a Phantom fly and there is a considerable 'novelty factor' to our birds. I get the 'amusement angle'. People come there for their amusement so yeah.

However...

The burden to guard the safety of those bystanders and to guard the reputation of people like us flying these things lies with the person flying it there. You may have put some thought in it and have taken some steps to reduce the risks but they were not enough because many things could still have caused an incident/accident which is a pity because it would have been so simple to eliminate those risks.

The first three flights I ever made with my Phantom outdoors, before it had proven itself to not do strange things like fly uncontrollably into things or into the wild blue yonder I flew it while it was attached to a kite line unrolled to a limited length. A flyaway did NOT belong to the possibilities that day. Nor could it have reached one of the surrounding houses. All you would have had to do is fly it tethered like that using a line with a length that would have prevented the Phantom to reach the public there. Keep it on a short leash so it won't be able to go where you don't want to allow it to go. Make sure people within its range know and accept any risks and instruct them on relevant matters and actions like grabbing its landing gear to keep it from doing wrong. If you had done that and would have reported it none of this would have been necessary.

Just say next time you'll fly it indoors you will take these precautions and let's move on. There are more interesting subjects to spend our time and attention on.

Big Ben said:
I saw this thread when it was just posted and had no replies yet. I watched the video and was not very impressed and realised the risks. When I kept seeing it being posted to I didn't open it again because I didn't find the video that fascinating. Since it kept going I started to wonder what made people so interested in this topic. Well that question is answered now.

Phantoms and groups of nearby people don't mix. I don't think opinions are very much divided about that. We also know most people have not yet actually seen a Phantom fly and there is a considerable 'novelty factor' to our birds. I get the 'amusement angle'. People come there for their amusement so yeah.

However...

The burden to guard the safety of those bystanders and to guard the reputation of people like us flying these things lies with the person flying it there. You may have put some thought in it and have taken some steps to reduce the risks but they were not enough because many things could still have caused an incident/accident which is a pity because it would have been so simple to eliminate those risks.

The first three flights I ever made with my Phantom outdoors, before it had proven itself to not do strange things like fly uncontrollably into things or into the wild blue yonder I flew it while it was attached to a kite line unrolled to a limited length. A flyaway did NOT belong to the possibilities that day. Nor could it have reached one of the surrounding houses. All you would have had to do is fly it tethered like that using a line with a length that would have prevented the Phantom to reach the public there. Keep it on a short leash so it won't be able to go where you don't want to allow it to go. Make sure people within its range know and accept any risks and instruct them on relevant matters and actions like grabbing its landing gear to keep it from doing wrong. If you had done that and would have reported it none of this would have been necessary.

Just say next time you'll fly it indoors you will take these precautions and let's move on. There are more interesting subjects to spend our time and attention on.

Thanks for your reply, I would have thought flying it on a rope would have been dangerous I would not like to do that at all, I might try it though I just thought it might nose dive if you go forward in an arch, Would be dangerous just the same. At the end of the day I was responsible I do not know if you can notice in the video but as soon as it was getting to the point I did not feel comfortable I pulled it back and landed it I did not push my luck, as I have said before I could have gone up again and again but once was enough. I got away with it the first time I did not want to try my luck again. I am responsible. Just have boundaries that are further away then most. I would not have flown it if I was not happy that I could do it safely.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
I got away with it the first time I did not want to try my luck again. I am responsible.

Those two statements don't work together. Why can't you see that?

Maybe you should take a good look at this http://puget3d.over-blog.com/article-accidents-corporels-images-videos-choquantes-85307431.html I'd like to bet that none of these injuries was intentional and that each pilot was, in his or her own mind, flying carefully.

And if you think that having prop guards on your quadcopter allows you to continue with your cavalier attitude, then look at the following video. Forget the stupid title and just watch it, OK? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWc_5bkiQ9c

**** Peter I was eating my lunch. Should not have clicked the first link :eek:

...and to guard the reputation of people like us flying these things lies with the person flying it...

Say what?

If a Phantom pilot and flies carelessly, then all Phantom pilots are careless. Nope, don't think so.

If a Phantom pilot and flies and helps recover lost children, then all Phantom pilots are heroes. Nope, don't think so.

My reputation, good, bad or neutral, is determined by me. While a careless pilot may reflect poorly on a newly emerging, large growth potential, hobby as a whole; someone else's flying practices do not improve or degrade my reputation. The way other people drive cars, or the way other people sail boats, or the way other people fly quadcopters does nothing to my reputation as a driver, sailor, or pilot.

I had seen the severely cut fingers before, but I had not seen the bikini one.

Thanks for sharing. I had the audio turned off. Will listen to it later. A good training video from what I've seen. May be part of the soon to be released FAA required training series (pure supposition).

Buk said:
...and to guard the reputation of people like us flying these things lies with the person flying it...

Say what?

If a Phantom pilot and flies carelessly, then all Phantom pilots are careless. Nope, don't think so.

If a Phantom pilot and flies and helps recover lost children, then all Phantom pilots are heroes. Nope, don't think so.

My reputation, good, bad or neutral, is determined by me. While a careless pilot may reflect poorly on a newly emerging, large growth potential, hobby as a whole; someone else's flying practices do not improve or degrade my reputation. The way other people drive cars, or the way other people sail boats, or the way other people fly quadcopters does nothing to my reputation as a driver, sailor, or pilot.

WELL SAID

Peter Evans said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
I got away with it the first time I did not want to try my luck again. I am responsible.

Those two statements don't work together. Why can't you see that?

Maybe you should take a good look at this http://puget3d.over-blog.com/article-accidents-corporels-images-videos-choquantes-85307431.html I'd like to bet that none of these injuries was intentional and that each pilot was, in his or her own mind, flying carefully.

And if you think that having prop guards on your quadcopter allows you to continue with your cavalier attitude, then look at the following video. Forget the stupid title and just watch it, OK? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWc_5bkiQ9c

I have answered this on YouTube but did not see the first bit.... maybe got away with it was the wrong word . Achieved it safely with no accidents is a better way of putting it, There was no need to do it again and further the risk. Also as you will see i have said that those injury's are from petrol helicopters far more powerful than a phantom. Saying that though you have opened my eyes a bit more thanks for posting it.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
Also as you will see i have said that those injury's are from petrol helicopters far more powerful than a phantom.

Well, I wouldn't want to put my hands or face in front of a Phantom under power and test it, would you? I mean, if the props can cut through a bra strap, what are they going to do to somebody's cheek/eye/ear?

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
Saying that though you have opened my eyes a bit more thanks for posting it.

You're welcome. And, after all the stick you've taken here, and with all those 'thumbs down' you've gotten on YouTube, I will say that it took some guts for you to acknowledge eventually that what you did was potentially dangerous.

You might like to know that here in France, even if you're fully licensed to use a UAS for commercial purposes, you're still not allowed to fly within 30 metres of people or animals - with no exceptions.

Perhaps you should think about taking the video off YouTube so as not to encourage anyone else to try the same thing? The people they fly over might not be as lucky as your audience. Just a thought.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
I am in the UK, also I never got paid for Flying the Phantom I get paid for dancing and entertaining.

If you read what I wrote, I was referring to UK law. You were compensated to entertain in which you included a UAS. That is commercial use. Pretty sure that requires a permit under UK law.

Peter Evans said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
You're welcome. And, after all the stick you've taken here, and with all those 'thumbs down' you've gotten on YouTube, I will say that it took some guts for you to acknowledge eventually that what you did was potentially dangerous.

I knew it had risks allot of them just did not picture all them pictures on that link

ianwood said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:

If you read what I wrote, I was referring to UK law. You were compensated to entertain in which you included a UAS. That is commercial use. Pretty sure that requires a permit under UK law.

If you want to get really technical yes I am paid to entertain. But i was also doing video for free as i always do so it would come under doing video in a court of law for me

xgeek said:
Seriously asking for trouble. Just had a look at one of your other videos. Check out @3:49 :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_4BroP ... bivhcbZyyw

Yes this will never happen again i have learnt allot and i am glad i have posted the op on here as i have said my eyes have been opened to the danger and this video you have linked will not happen again as it could of all gone the other way. I am not proud of this video at that time you stated i can assure you, I was going to edit it out but i left it in

But having said all that I need and want to get to know my Phantom 2 inside and out i want to be 100 percent confident with it I want to be able to fly it with 110% precision, as I am using it in a film to film scenes in a mall so need to be confident with it.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
But having said all that I need and want to get to know my Phantom 2 inside and out i want to be 100 percent confident with it I want to be able to fly it with 110% precision, as I am using it in a film to film scenes in a mall so need to be confident with it.

I'm sure with enough practice you'll get to 110%, but you'll never be able to control any RC craft 100%. Your Phantom uses 2.4ghz Transmitter, that's same frequency as a lot of WiFi repeaters. Even if you were flying in ATTI mode, you'll never have full control especially in an environment like a mall with lots of WiFi everywhere.

Here's a test. Go out to a field, turn on your GoPro's wifi and fly around for a while. You can turn off your GPS if you want.

Nevermind, I feel bad... don't do that. your Phantom will crash. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl