Flight Time is Very Short?

Reaction score
Hello all, my Phantom's flight time is very short. I am running a 11.1V 25C 2200 mAh LiPo battery, brushless gimbal, and a GoPro Hero 4. The gimbal runs off of the same battery as the Phantom. I have the stock 8" props and everything else is stock. Every charge I do on the batteries I make sure to balance them as well. Any ideas regarding what the cause of my short flight time might be?

Thanks!

How long is your flight time?

You really cannot expect long flight times with this setup. You have the weight of the gimbal, the gopro, and the gimbal is drawing juice. I had the same setup(except with gopro 3 black)... and basically after 4 minutes I was already in the caution zone.. not taking it up too high, not too far away.. max duration was 6 mins. That may have not been its max, but once I see the red flashing when I almost full throttled to full throttle, I change the battery.

I got the 9443s now though, and basically after each flight my gopro reads 8-8+ minutes of recording. That's a big difference imo. Still, after about 5-6 minutes I don't take it far away or high.

The first thing you should do is stop expecting long flight times with a gimbal equipped with a gopro with the stock battery and stock props.

The second thing you should do is order 9443s or 9450s and about 4 more batteries.

How long is your flight time?

You really cannot expect long flight times with this setup. You have the weight of the gimbal, the gopro, and the gimbal is drawing juice. I had the same setup(except with gopro 3 black)... and basically after 4 minutes I was already in the caution zone.. not taking it up too high, not too far away.. max duration was 6 mins. That may have not been its max, but once I see the red flashing when I almost full throttled to full throttle, I change the battery.

I got the 9443s now though, and basically after each flight my gopro reads 8-8+ minutes of recording. That's a big difference imo. Still, after about 5-6 minutes I don't take it far away or high.

The first thing you should do is stop expecting long flight times with a gimbal equipped with a gopro with the stock battery and stock props.

The second thing you should do is order 9443s or 9450s and about 4 more batteries.

I'm getting about 5-6 minutes. I have a couple of batteries and ordered 9443s a few hours ago. Should I get a smaller LiPo for my gimbal to piggyback off of?

Do the 9443s work on a stock Phantom 1.1.1 with no mods? Any setting adjustments needed?

I'm getting about 5-6 minutes. I have a couple of batteries and ordered 9443s a few hours ago. Should I get a smaller LiPo for my gimbal to piggyback off of?

Or, you could get a higher capacity battery. The Zippy Flightmax 2800 is pretty good but you need to trim the leads about an inch and a half. The Black Magic 3000 fits with the stock battery door with notches cut on the sides to make the connection on the outside, no issues with Shapeways big battery door.
I get about 8:30 with the 3000, 7:45 to 8:00 with the Zippy, with fpv gear added to the list.
You will see an improvement in flight time with the 9443s but with some stability sacrificed, especially during descent.

Do the 9443s work on a stock Phantom 1.1.1 with no mods? Any setting adjustments needed?

Yes the 9443s and the 9450s also fit on the P1. I have yet to fly my P1.1.1 with the stock props, I put 9450s on it for the first flight, and just left them on. I get more flight time than with stock props.

Been flying the FC40 with 9450s since last year, works good lasts long time.

Welcome to the party JR Martin,

You need to take into consideration the added weight of the gimbal, GoPro and whatever else you have added. What elevation do you normally fly from?

I'm flying from 4500 to 8000 feet, flight times are low with little batteries. I like the 2700 and 4000 mah batteries.

Or, you could get a higher capacity battery. The Zippy Flightmax 2800 is pretty good but you need to trim the leads about an inch and a half. The Black Magic 3000 fits with the stock battery door with notches cut on the sides to make the connection on the outside, no issues with Shapeways big battery door.
I get about 8:30 with the 3000, 7:45 to 8:00 with the Zippy, with fpv gear added to the list.
You will see an improvement in flight time with the 9443s but with some stability sacrificed, especially during descent.

Ok great I'll look into this. Thank you very much.

Yes the 9443s and the 9450s also fit on the P1. I have yet to fly my P1.1.1 with the stock props, I put 9450s on it for the first flight, and just left them on. I get more flight time than with stock props.

Been flying the FC40 with 9450s since last year, works good lasts long time.

Welcome to the party JR Martin,

You need to take into consideration the added weight of the gimbal, GoPro and whatever else you have added. What elevation do you normally fly from?

I'm flying from 4500 to 8000 feet, flight times are low with little batteries. I like the 2700 and 4000 mah batteries.

Well I'm in Phoenix, AZ and the elevation here is around 1,150 (give or take a few feet). So my total elevation of flight is probably around 1,200 - 1,300. I am using my setup to film action sports and other priorities that involve being on the ground. Also, what 4000 mAh battery do you use and how do you hvae it setup? Thanks for the response!

Well I'm in Phoenix, AZ and the elevation here is around 1,150 (give or take a few feet). So my total elevation of flight is probably around 1,200 - 1,300. I am using my setup to film action sports and other priorities that involve being on the ground. Thanks for the response!

Your density altitude will be way up there when the temps are high. It's just like flying close to me.

Hello all, my Phantom's flight time is very short. I am running a 11.1V 25C 2200 mAh LiPo battery, brushless gimbal, and a GoPro Hero 4. The gimbal runs off of the same battery as the Phantom. I have the stock 8" props and everything else is stock. Every charge I do on the batteries I make sure to balance them as well. Any ideas regarding what the cause of my short flight time might be?

Thanks!
I have been flying mine now for 3 years and have used different weight cameras. With your setup that's all you can get.. I built a smaller setup but each different weight gives a different flight time. I have thought about using a 5000mah battery held on by velcro,and should give same flight times as the newer phantoms with that expensive batt. Not pretty but---- . Longer flight times on a 2200mah of any c rating as long as you are adding weight won't happen.

I have been flying mine now for 3 years and have used different weight cameras. With your setup that's all you can get.. I built a smaller setup but each different weight gives a different flight time. I have thought about using a 5000mah battery held on by velcro,and should give same flight times as the newer phantoms with that expensive batt. Not pretty but---- . Longer flight times on a 2200mah of any c rating as long as you are adding weight won't happen.

Well put Gary39. I hope the OP takes what you have said as "good info".

Reactions: Gary39

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.