Flight simulator in no-fly zone

Reaction score
My house didn't used to be in a no-fly zone. With my Phantom 2, I used to fly around my neighborhood all the time. There's an airport about 1/2 a mile away, but it's a regional airport without a ton of traffic, and I know the flight pattern really well. Keeping my P2 under 400 feet and flying around my neighborhood was never an issue.

Now, I'm the proud owner of a Phantom 3 Pro, and suddenly my house is in a no-fly zone. In fact, my whole neighborhood is! My regional airport has been put on the Category B list. Lame!

But here's the kicker... I can't even use the simulator! WTF?!

Anyone have any ideas on how to work around this?

Im not asking for any other reason than I can foreword a sectional that would define the airspace 0.5 miles from the airport...

Why the simulator doesn't work, is probably because the simulator code is tied to the restrictions.. And IMHO should be separated in the software code to allow you to harmlessly use the sim at your residence.. Contact DJI and make a request they do that. It's probably an oversight on their part and wouldn't require much effort to include it in a future update.

Im not asking for any other reason than I can foreword a sectional that would define the airspace 0.5 miles from the airport...

Why the simulator doesn't work, is probably because the simulator code is tied to the restrictions.. And IMHO should be separated in the software code to allow you to harmlessly use the sim at your residence.. Contact DJI and make a request they do that. It's probably an oversight on their part and wouldn't require much effort to include it in a future update.

Already reported.

Ahh Monterey Airport.. I love that place.... I'm jealous, I wish I could get outa the Los Angeles Area...
Here a link to an image of the sectional...
http://skyvector.com/?ll=36.59880563898569,-121.81927028826453&chart=301&zoom=1

Unfortunately your well within the Class C surface area.. It extends from the ground to 4200 feet. With the weather being IFR there often, that surface area is well used for Precision approaches and Missed approaches...

Glad Blade Strike responded...

****. Yeah, I knew I was within the Class C airspace, I'm just bummed that DJI caught up to that. But it's ridiculous that I can't even fly the sim when I'm home. Thanks for sharing the image!

****. Yeah, I knew I was within the Class C airspace, I'm just bummed that DJI caught up to that. But it's ridiculous that I can't even fly the sim when I'm home. Thanks for sharing the image!
The good news though, you live in one of the most pristine and photogenic areas of the country.. I would love to be that close to that coastline and agricultural area with a phantom on a daily basis..

What a bummer though, that Pacific grove is still within the surface class C...

Is the P3 software restricted in Pacific Grove?

Hello, I'm new here and doing some research before buying a P3. I was under the impression that only Class A and B constituted no-fly zones? Per the DJI website:

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

Is this website not accurate? Is there a place where I can get detailed information on what consists of a no fly zone?

Yeah, interestingly, if you look at the no-fly zone list on DJI's site, my local airport isn't on the list. But it's on the map in the Pilot app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJIs classification IDs is not The same.

Probably because not all international airspace uses the same classification ID.

I'm gonna guess that DJI bases their "No fly zones" on all airspace that is restricted to any aircraft and operator that doesn't meet the requirements to operate in anything other than the FAAs class G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31