Flight Results after Firmware 1.8

Reaction score
I would like to know what people think of the flight performance after the latest firmware update 1.8. Any pros and cons. Flight results only please.

3 flights today (v1.8.8 / IOS 8.4) , total distance 9 miles (47,583ft) 38 minutes in the air. 3058ft max distance (LOS), 342ft max alt. No issues at all, the most comfortable I have been with the P3a response in over 50 flights. Videos came out fantastic, very limited tilted horizon because I think the bird held steady. Wind speed varied between 5-10 mph with gust of 14 according to HD.Hope it continues.

No issues so far. Happy with the update.

Reactions: Mario_SB
Ditto. Just managed only one flight and am waiting for Mother Nature to calm the winds so I can go out again.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had a chance to fly mine this evening and all went well. Seem to be very smooth

Two (windy) flights so far...so good. Quite happy with it, although it did reset my gains...finally had the yaw/gimbal setup the way I liked it and poof....all gone....remind me to do some screen grabs next time I have it set the way I like it...here's a long video of the flights: Details in the YT description, along with latest DJI and Litchi apps..N-joy....

(Real flights start at 0:26...there is a link to HealthyDrones data in the YT comments as well)

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesmiley
Two (windy) flights so far...so good. Quite happy with it, although it did reset my gains...finally had the yaw/gimbal setup the way I liked it and poof....all gone....remind me to do some screen grabs next time I have it set the way I like it...here's a long video of the flights: Details in the YT description, along with latest DJI and Litchi apps..N-joy....

(Real flights start at 0:26...there is a link to HealthyDrones data in the YT comments as well)
Great video! Out of curiosity, what are your preferred gain settings?

Reactions: meissner58
Great video! Out of curiosity, what are your preferred gain settings?

Uhh.....that's kinda the part I don't remember.....I know they were pretty low (I like a S L O W pan/yaw with a nice exponential ending...like a slow slide if that makes sense. and there was a delicate balance between Advanced>EXP (Rudder 0.20) and Sensitivity> Yaw Endpoint (?? Currently 150...not sure how much that effects it...) and Gain>Yaw (80 now)....but I'm not happy with this setup.. I thought that is what I had it set to before.....I need a calm wind day to really set a benchmark...

Do you/or can I use the same firmware (1.8.80) for P3 and for remote controller?

Last edited:
You have to update the RC separately using the DJI Go app.
Hmm...thank you. This is my first time to update FW, I saw on some older video turtorials that they update with USB micro SD adapter, if I understand you, this is not the same process now? I can't find this solution with DJI Go app on youtube.

Question...I have 1.5.3, if I update to 1.7 will I get the battery updates in 1.6? DJI has removed 1.6 from the website.

Further on that...can I go right to 1.8 and get the updates for the battery from 1.6?

Asked DJI on chat...seemed clueless, gave me two conflicting answers...ARGGH...typical!

I would like to know what people think of the flight performance after the latest firmware update 1.8. Any pros and cons. Flight results only please.
After a couple flights I don't think anything flight-wise has changed that I notice. When winds are completely calm the bird is rock solid as always. When winds are 10mph or more, unfortunately I still get drifting during slow forward and reverse flying. I guess they just will never address that. I can live with it. It certainly keeps you on your toes. The biggest change for me, having been flying 1.6 firmware prior, was the change in the layout of IOC modes, even getting a disclaimer nag before entering the mode. Not exactly a welcome diversion with the bird hovering 200' up. Even when I put it in F mode initially I got confused for a moment, not seeing what I'm used to. I have seen the new GUI layout in P4 vids but I didn't realize that would be ours too, or at least I forgot, lol. Its never a bad idea to hit the simulator to get accustomed to new GUI looks when they hit. I wish I would have done that. Otherwise, flight characteristics, speed and decend rate seem unchanged to me.

Btw I always have to laugh. You can demonstrate the coolest stuff a phantom can do for people, which is all great stuff, including the autonomous modes. But nothing, nothing gets a rise from people checking you out flying more than a simple, perfect, touchdown, lol! Something about a smooth manual landing gets a rise every time. I've actually gotten applause from from groups of people on touchdown. Too much, lol. Go figure. I bet you hand catchers don't get that, lol!

Last edited:
Question...I have 1.5.3, if I update to 1.7 will I get the battery updates in 1.6? DJI has removed 1.6 from the website.

Further on that...can I go right to 1.8 and get the updates for the battery from 1.6?

Asked DJI on chat...seemed clueless, gave me two conflicting answers...ARGGH...typical!

Generally members of this forum are more knowledgeable than DJI support.

In every firmware package there are latest versions for all components so you can go from 1.0 to newest available in single update. If you are on 1.6 and update to 1.8 battery will not update, not because battery firmware is not in a package, but because it is already latest version.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl