Flat panel antenna for P4P v.1?

Fat Albert -- that "don't have to be exactly lined up" is what I was hoping to hear.

Julius 13 -- Can you provide a pic of your range extenders? I may be interested in buying them from you.

Thx......... R

I see a lot of talk about the added weight of external batteries putting a damper on getting more distance , have you modded a Phantom with xtra batteries and did it allow you to fly further, more flight time ? If so how much was the difference
Extra weight is indeed a factor. Unlike adding an extra fuel tank to a real aircraft, when the battery is depleted, the extra weight isn't depleted with it, like with aircraft fuel. By doubling the total mAH of the internal battery, you can generally gain about 30-50% more flight time, but nowhere near to a doubling! Even a 10% increase from a smaller external battery can be significant though. If it takes 9 minutes to get there and 9 minutes to get back, and you have to turn around as soon as you get there, because of an 18 minute flight time, adding 2 minutes means 2 full minutes for video at your destination.

With the P4, stock, I got about 18 minutes at 35 mph. By adding two 2800 externals to add 5600 mAH, flight time was increased to a total of 27-29 minutes at 35mph. You have include the cost of modding the aircraft to accept external batteries, along with a battery mounting mechanism (and turn off some sensors), the cost of a separate charger for the external batteries ($100+ for a decent one) plus the cost of the external batteries. It quickly adds up, and is a pain when you need to change batteries for a second flight. I used to leave my externals permanently mounted on the aircraft, and just charged them in place, and limited myself to one extended flight per day. If you also add an amped antenna mod and a battery to support it to your RC, you are now carrying serious weight around, and need a transmitter tray underneath, or a tripod mount to support the extra RC weight.

A $17 plastic windsurfer and an occasional new battery on the P4P or M2 is so much better, and I still get 24-25 minutes without externals batteries or a transmitter mod, and still have a 4-5 mile range!

Last edited:
I’m only limited by my battery and wind conditions after adding a boosted 4hawks ( XR raptor) panel , my furthest flight to date is almost 5 miles(26,300ft) straight out and back and I flew the last 500-1000 ft with 0% battery,
Wind is a big factor to be considered for long flightsView attachment 114545

I don't think many pilots would consider this responsible operation. I have a flat panel antenna for my P4 Pro, and I have found it's just not necessary. Any range where you would need the extra signal strength is going to beyond visual range, and you might not have sufficient battery capacity to conduct a safe return. Keeping the stock antennas pointed to and perpendicular to the drone is sufficient, unless you have an extremem amount of radio interference. I did see a Youtube video awhile back about a guy flying his phantom from a mountain several miles down to the sea shore to his house, where he landed it by FPV remote in his back yard, and he had a boosted antenna to make that work, but I don't think it was in the US, certainly illegal here.

This is a bit off subject but I am on my 3rd P4P and it has about 50% of the signal range of my first one. I am using the same controller (original antenna setup) and at the same location and same time of year. Trees are still full as before. 1st P4P max distance was about 1 mile on several flights at approximately 100' feet altitude above trees. This P4P loses connection once trees are in line of sight or at approximately 700' in the open. Are there any settings that affect this? I am following this thread to help determine options for range improvement but am a novice and not even sure where to begin.

Why, you may be asking don't I have the first P4P. Let's just say # 1 and # 2 experienced an inexperienced pilot who needed a sensor for object detection above the craft. Both flew into a tree limb that wasn't there a minute ago!! I think #2 also had good range connection but was too short lived to be sure.

This is a bit off subject but I am on my 3rd P4P and it has about 50% of the signal range of my first one. I am using the same controller (original antenna setup) and at the same location and same time of year. Trees are still full as before. 1st P4P max distance was about 1 mile on several flights at approximately 100' feet altitude above trees. This P4P loses connection once trees are in line of sight or at approximately 700' in the open. Are there any settings that affect this? I am following this thread to help determine options for range improvement but am a novice and not even sure where to begin.

Why, you may be asking don't I have the first P4P. Let's just say # 1 and # 2 experienced an inexperienced pilot who needed a sensor for object detection above the craft. Both flew into a tree limb that wasn't there a minute ago!! I think #2 also had good range connection but was too short lived to be sure.
Make sure you have set the GO 4 app to Auto 5.8 Ghz.
Any other setting will disappoint.
Were the first two the P4P V1?
Is the third also a P4P V1?
Supposedly, the V2 versions had issues.
Add a $25 plastic windsurfer to moderately improve range, if the above settings are already in place.

Thank you. I will check this out. If I look up the serial number, will that give me the version?

I have always used 2.4ghz so I will change to 5.8. I appreciate your reply.

Thank you. I will check this out. If I look up the serial number, will that give me the version?

I have always used 2.4ghz so I will change to 5.8. I appreciate your reply.
Ironically, Auto 5.8 Ghz produces far better results on all the P4P's than Auto 2.4 Ghz or any manual channel selection. Until I found out about the P4P superior stock range in Auto 5.8Ghz, I was ready to give up on the P4P. Clear LOS is also essential to the best range, preferably from an elevated launch site, overlooking the terrain you wish to cover.

Hmm , around here (urban area) I found Auto switches to much and I have glitches even with the boosted flat panel attached but if I pick a Custom channel things are crystal clear the entire flight ...

Hmm , around here (urban area) I found Auto switches to much and I have glitches even with the boosted flat panel attached but if I pick a Custom channel things are crystal clear the entire flight ...
None of the flat panels I have experience with use the 5.8Ghz band. They all use the 2.4Ghz band which is filled with interference, which is why selecting Auto 5.8Ghz with the fully stock RC delivers up to 5 miles in urban settings with clear LOS, even 50 feet AGL. YMMV.

None of the flat panels I have experience with use the 5.8Ghz band. They all use the 2.4Ghz band which is filled with interference, which is why selecting Auto 5.8Ghz with the fully stock RC delivers up to 5 miles in urban settings with clear LOS, even 50 feet AGL. YMMV.

Maxx UAV XR Raptor is dual band

Maxx UAV XR Raptor is dual band
So it says, which begs the question of why it is even necessary, because the stock Auto 5.8Ghz setting range of 4.3+ miles on the P4P already exceeds the capacity of the battery, as does the 5+ mile stock range of the Mavic 2 set to Auto using Occusync 2.0.

So it says, which begs the question of why it is even necessary, because the stock Auto 5.8Ghz setting range of 4.3+ miles on the P4P already exceeds the capacity of the battery, as does the 5+ mile stock range of the Mavic 2 set to Auto using Occusync 2.0.

Well it’s for better reception, since getting a XR I haven’t had a green screen , I’ve flown just shy of 5 miles outbound without losing video feed , for me it’s a night and day difference with the flat panel

Well it’s for better reception, since getting a XR I haven’t had a green screen , I’ve flown just shy of 5 miles outbound without losing video feed , for me it’s a night and day difference with the flat panel
Makes me wonder if perhaps the original antennas had hidden internal defects or loose connections that were replaced by the mod. Glad it is working for you. I am happy to have the same range without all the star wars gear and extra weight. The P4P is the first DJI drone that actually delivered on the advertised range, followed by the Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2. Range exceeds the battery capacity!

Makes me wonder if perhaps the original antennas had hidden internal defects or loose connections that were replaced by the mod. Glad it is working for you. I am happy to have the same range without all the star wars gear and extra weight. The P4P is the first DJI drone that actually delivered on the advertised range, followed by the Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2. Range exceeds the battery capacity!

I did think about that also but the problem is no two flights are alike to compare things simply because you have variables you can’t control (transmission signals ,reception) I did have long flights with the little screw on antennas that 4hawks offers but there’s still not as rock solid as my flat panel ..

My longest flight with the small screw on type that are similar to stock
IMG_0054.jpg

I did think about that also but the problem is no two flights are alike to compare things simply because you have variables you can’t control (transmission signals ,reception) I did have long flights with the little screw on antennas that 4hawks offers but there’s still not as rock solid as my flat panel ..

My longest flight with the small screw on type that are similar to stock View attachment 115259

IMG_0055.jpg

My longest flight with the small screw on type that are similar to stock View attachment 115259
Here is a fully stock flight. If you regularly fly over the same terrain, the variables remain unchanged, except for wind.
3BAE272D-F6BF-4AEB-A7DC-6B17947C8D0F.jpeg

BE7AB01D-6A4B-4C3A-8577-16C057BE91C5.jpeg

I love the flat panels for earlier aircraft that required them, like the P3P and the P4, but they both required battery mods to support the full range. Certainly could use a battery mod on the P4P, but buying a new P4P battery is almost as good, with 25+ minute flight times.

Last edited:
Nicely done Sir , with me I’m mostly fly over water so I gotta able to make it back without have it ditch on me I’d like to go find a place with a straight 5+ mile stretch of land just to see how far a one way flight can take me without losing signal, I’m always worried about not making back and losing her...

Nicely done Sir , with me I’m mostly fly over water so I gotta able to make it back without have it ditch on me I’d like to go find a place with a straight 5+ mile stretch of land just to see how far a one way flight can take me without losing signal, I’m always worried about not making back and losing her...

We’re close as far as distance goes this one is with the flat panel attached I turned around at 60% battery remaining but fought a headwind on the return and flew the last 1000’ or so with 0% in the tank , I swore it was over but I had enough to land , I ain’t gonna lie that had me shaking [emoji848], I really want to do the battery mod just to push it further but I’m just scared of it screwing up a dam near perfect flying machine .....

We’re close as far as distance goes this one is with the flat panel attached I turned around at 60% battery remaining but fought a headwind on the return and flew the last 1000’ or so with 0% in the tank , I swore it was over but I had enough to land , I ain’t gonna lie that had me shaking [emoji848], I really want to do the battery mod just to push it further but I’m just scared of it screwing up a dam near perfect flying machine .....

IMG_0056.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4