Flashing green red lights

Reaction score
I replaced an esc , motor, and shell following minor crash. Now after warm-up my phantom displays a single green flash followed by 3 red flashes. The motors do spin up. the camera and gimble are working. The battery is good. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Symptom (after a crash): 1 Green flash= GPS flight mode- followed by 3 Red flashes= <5 Sats.

Diagnosis: Cracked GPS patch antenna.

Treatment: Replace GPS antenna= <$10 US but need solder skills.
No solder skills= $160 US for new GPS PCB assembly, used= $?.?? US on Ebay, etc. if available.

Prognosis: Full recovery

Do nothing: Will fly fine in Atti. or Manual flight mode(s).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I'll take a look at the patch antenna. That's the one under the top she'll?

Thanks for the info guys. I'll take a look at the patch antenna. That's the one under the top she'll?

Yup.

Assistant shows zero gps. Hopefully I just pulled a wire loose when I swapped it to the new she'll. I'll remove the top and check it out. Thanks again

Sorry Jim1, but it won't allow the motors to start with no GPS cable connected or if the entire module is 'dead'.
What good are no-fly zones if that's all you had to do?

I stand by my diagnosis.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: robsquad
If the patch antenna is cracked it looks like a $5.00 part and a simple solder job. I assume that rth will not work if I fly without the gps. Is this correct?

If the patch antenna is cracked it looks like a $5.00 part and a simple solder job. I assume that rth will not work if I fly without the gps. Is this correct?

Correct.

You're getting the hang of it!

Well, sorry.

If true and it's just not detectable...

You're the 0.1 in 99.9%.

That's why they call it 'practicing' medicine.

I'm going to replace it anyway. It maybe internal. I'll try the $5 part before the $$ one

Hmm. Pulled the antenna and it looks sound. No cracks
A cracked antenna will still let you start motors and take-off. It may/may not acquire satellites.
A dead gps module will not let you start motors.

I installed the new 4mm patch antennae and tested with the top shell off. Had 6 satellites. I was unable to calibrate the compass so I followed the instructions for de gaussing the compass and resolved that issue. Now I see no satellites and the DJI app says Ok to fly but no gps. The lights are slow flashing yellow. The motors will not start. I'm now suspecting the gps unit itself. Is there a way to test this before I shell out the big bucks for a replacement? I have a multimeter. All help is greatly appreciated.

Just noticed that the Vision Assistant program shows all zeros for the GPS in the upgrade tab!

Last edited:
Yellow means no communication with controller/loss off controller/failsafe.

Plug into Phantom assist. Turn on controller and move the yaw sticks and check if camera moves left to right.
If still flashing yellow, rebind controller and recalibrate the sticks in RC12
If that fails then you may have a damaged receiver board.

Yellow means no communication with controller/loss off controller/failsafe.

Plug into Phantom assist. Turn on controller and move the yaw sticks and check if camera moves left to right.
If still flashing yellow, rebind controller and recalibrate the sticks in RC12
If that fails then you may have a damaged receiver board.
i thought fast flash yellow was failsafe ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl