Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

N017RW said:
I guess I do have a point after all...

Agreed about 1 degrees minimal effect (don't forget inclination as well), but it points to the likely unnecessary repetitive compensations being performed.

I have only compensated twice in 3 mos. and 35 flights... once out-of-the-box and the other 2 mos. ago when replacing Tx/Rx with Futaba system.

Afaik the compass dance takes care of the deviation

xtonex said:
N017RW said:
I guess I do have a point after all...

Agreed about 1 degrees minimal effect (don't forget inclination as well), but it points to the likely unnecessary repetitive compensations being performed.

I have only compensated twice in 3 mos. and 35 flights... once out-of-the-box and the other 2 mos. ago when replacing Tx/Rx with Futaba system.

Afaik the compass dance takes care of the inclination

Yes, but the inclination is more affected by north/south than east/west relocation so I would expect more change in the inclination than declination.

This is for information purposes only.

Again, point was traveled ~600 miles and no need for compensation.

Compass calibration is about magnetic deviation not declination.

Deviation has to do magnetic anomalies in the immediate area, e.g. adding a vTX to your Phantom or flying adjacent to a mountain full of iron ore. You can adjust for this by taking a reference measurement rotating 360 degrees through the vertical and horizontal axes.

Declination relates to regional magnetic anomalies related the movement of iron in the Earth's core. You cannot adjust for this without knowing the actual offset from true North.

Yea, I meant magnetic inclination.

mine has hooking and completely flying out of control at full speed right into the ground destroying the internal board lol i'm now on my fourth one
1) was a flyaway contacted dji and they said they will not replace
2) faulty battery even after checking voltage battery died around 6 minute mark plop in the ocean
3) flew out of control and crashed it brains out literally
4) and now i have my fourth one (just pray) lol
i think i got this thing figured out https://vimeo.com/99574427
the videos were done before the 4th one

mine has hooking and completely flying out of control at full speed right into the ground destroying the internal board lol i'm now on my fourth one
d4ddyo said:
yay for keeping on topic... where's the forum police.

steadicamhawaii said:
d4ddyo said:
yay for keeping on topic... where's the forum police.

Assuming you had at least a P2.. I'm guessing you had 4 K total invested in DJI... Do you know what you can get RTF for 4K? Certainly not J hooks and faulty batteries and beta testers screaming at you for stating issues and facts.

you think strapping a ham sandwich on the phantom would help getting rid of the hook? sounds stupid HA? dji got to have some of the stupidest people working for them, either that or those 9 irons are taking us for stupid, DJI fix your **** :evil: :twisted:

pert said:
you think strapping a ham sandwich on the phantom would help getting rid of the hook? sounds stupid HA? dji got to have some of the stupidest people working for them, either that or those 9 irons are taking us for stupid, DJI fix your **** :evil: :twisted:

LOL. Try it and post pics

Seems to me that Jason from DJI has won the Microsoft Award for giving a perfectly correct answer, yet a totally useless answer!

It does at least show a glimmer of hope that they understand what the problem is.

Then again maybe I'm missing something here. Has anyone ever heard of a place to enter "Magnetic Declination Calibration Compensation"? Can't remember ever seeing that one anywhere in the current version of Naza.

Or maybe Jason was telling the future and this is a yet to be released adjustment coming with the new firmware release? (fingers crossed)

Or maybe the guys at DJI have just been watching too much NASCAR and believe everything should go to the left.

Help me out here, what's the poop with this answer?

Andy T said:
A few days ago I sent DJI a complaint about our problem. Unfortunately I used the online form and forgot to save what I wrote but it is easy to figure out what my complaint may have been. I got an email today which you guys might find entertaining so I will paste the text below:

Thank you for contacting DJI Technology.

We have reviewed your inquiry and have determined the following from your email. It seems as though your GPS unit and Compass are not in agreement of which way North is. This is usually caused because a user does not calibrate their unit according to the locations Magnetic Declination. You will need to Google your locations magnetic declination to calibrate the unit to true North.

You can find Apps for iPhone, Android, and Windows below:

Magnetic Declination on the App Store on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magneti ... 18318?mt=8

Magnetic Declination for Android:

http://www.appszoom.com/android_applica ... eclination

Magnetic Declination App for Windows:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-au/store ... dbdffbe594

We hope you have found this information helpful.

Thank you for flying with DJI Technology.

Jason
DJI Technology Customer Service

That is the same response I just received. My online request stated I was suffering from TBE and J Hook. I then begged for them to release 3.0.5.

Maybe release is soon. But I wonder why they would have us enter MD according to area if beta has been fixing problem without manual input?

This might be a paste and cut response by them on TBE and J hook for other multi rotors where the compass and GPS puck can easily be turned to match up.

Damon said:
That is the same response I just received. My online request stated I was suffering from TBE and J Hook. I then begged for them to release 3.0.5.

Maybe release is soon. But I wonder why they would have us enter MD according to area if beta has been fixing problem without manual input?

This might be a paste and cut response by them on TBE and J hook for other multi rotors where the compass and GPS puck can easily be turned to match up.
It is a cut an paste response. Jason works for Zendesk.com and probably has never seen a quad-copter. The answer is 100% incorrect for the Phantom 2 V it could be partly correct for some earlier model where it is recommended to turn the GPS/Compass puck showing these symptoms.

I have the same Issue ... just noticed it on the second flight ... weird because I didn't seem to notice it on the first maiden flight. :oops:
I live in Texas ... so i'm not sure about magnetic issues here. ??

Where do we sign the petition ?

It is not surprising or unusual to not notice it on a first flight. There are to many other things your watching the first time it's in the air.
Most of Texas does not have a very large magnetic declination except in the western end of the state and it just reaches a level where people start to notice the issue. Attached is a map to help you determine your MD.

Attachments

• MagneticDeclination_Map_Continental_US.png
    MagneticDeclination_Map_Continental_US.png
    911.4 KB · Views: 435
I've just been told that the final firmware should be out this week. Let's hope so!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z