Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

ianwood said:
Let's put an end to suggestions of rotating the compass. We all know and understand it might alleviate some of the more extreme cases but it is a bad workaround. The more I learn about how the compass works, the more I realize it should be in a known orientation. Moving it on any axis throws off the math regardless of calibration. There is only one fix for this problem and that involves DJI and their firmware. We don't want them thinking we'll accept a bogus workaround because we won't.

How and why this is acceptable on the more expensive DJI platforms is beyond me!

What part of "Let's put an end to suggestions of rotating the compass" does anyone not understand.

Rotating the compass was recommended to me, by a dji rep , as one of the
possible ways towards correcting my problems..

obiwan_pierogi said:
Rotating the compass was recommended to me, by a dji rep , as one of the
possible ways towards correcting my problems..

That's fine but Ian is saying to stop reccomending it as a solution of any sort on this forum. He is trying to keep this forum focused and pertinent to solving the issue.

The way DJI is dealing with this issue is beyond RIDICULOUS. It´s been several weeks and they can´t figure out what is wrong with this s*****t, even with all the work done by end users (Ian and the beta testers)? Very very bad! I won´t be buying anything from them anymore.

lucianopacheco said:
The way DJI is dealing with this issue is beyond RIDICULOUS. It´s been several weeks and they can´t figure out what is wrong with this s*****t, even with all the work done by end users (Ian and the beta testers)? Very very bad! I won´t be buying anything from them anymore.

Do you really want them to slop together a fix and possibly not fix it or break other things in the process? Once the fix is figured out they will test it. then i assume they will send to the testers here. and then finally after all that they will release a fix. This isnt gonna happen over night and you better hope they take atleast a few weeks to test their firms before sending them public....

xtonex said:
lucianopacheco said:

Do you really want them to slop together a fix and possibly not fix it or break other things in the process? Once the fix is figured out they will test it. then i assume they will send to the testers here. and then finally after all that they will release a fix. This isnt gonna happen over night and you better hope they take atleast a few weeks to test their firms before sending them public....

Sorry, But this is a major problem and many people are either crashing or not flying their machines at all due to this. In my view, it´s been more than enough time to fix this 10 times over. I continue to find it ridiculous how much time is taking them to resolve it. And I don´t think you have to test for "weeks" before releasing it, and I assume they have been testing new firmwares/solutions for the past weeks.

lucianopacheco said:
xtonex said:
lucianopacheco said:

Sorry, But this is a major problem and many people are either crashing or not flying their machines at all due to this. In my view, it´s been more than enough time to fix this 10 times over. I continue to find it ridiculous how much time is taking them to resolve it. And I don´t think you have to test for "weeks" before releasing it, and I assume they have been testing new firmwares/solutions for the past weeks.

Once you scale up production so do defects. It's part of doing business. Look at Toyota/Lexus. In the beginning you almost NEVER heard of issues with any of their cars... Now they are the top auto producer in the world they have recalls and issues and some of them fatal type recalls.

It's just magnified because it's happening to you. First phase is to identify and diagnose. I'm not sure where they are i this phase and this can take forever. It's not as cut and dry and you may think. Sometimes it's pure luck and it helps having lots of eyes watching symptoms and collecting data.

After they find out why... now what to do... this may be simple or complicated... Sometimes you don't realize the scope of it unless you are involved.

It's not ridiculous for them to take a long time. It's just ridiculous for you because you can't satisfy your addiction to flying :p

lucianopacheco said:
xtonex said:
lucianopacheco said:

If you knew how to do it faster than them, you could feel free to get it out quicker than they can... you do not release things into the wild without some kind of testing. cause then you'll only be complaining about the next issue that may or may not cause. This is also not the only work being done to the firm on the back end. And wont be the last update the p2 gets... The tbe and jhook issue is known. if you know of the issue flying is perfectly safe taking that into consideration. Do you even know what would go into making a firm that can determine declination for every place in the world? i doubt it... Trying to bash dji on this website isnt going to make things happen any faster, let them do what needs to be done. and be patient...

I could be wrong, but I believe that a Phantom "knows" the magnetic declination of the place where it's being flown. The GPS knows where true north is. Magnetic north is measured by the compass. The difference is the magnetic declination.

Bigbells said:
I could be wrong, but I believe that a Phantom "knows" the magnetic declination of the place where it's being flown. True north is known by the GPS. Magnetic north is measured by the compass. The difference is the magnetic declination.

Exactly. There is an error in the code somewhere and it seems like it should be an easy fix. I think the curious thing is that the data that dji is asking for in their testing seems rather weird. Why collect data switching from gps to atti in a hover... with different gains? How does that relate at all to the compass problem?

I guess I am just jaded after seeing how they've botched the 3D gimbal release.

d4ddyo said:
ianwood said:
Let's put an end to suggestions of rotating the compass. We all know and understand it might alleviate some of the more extreme cases but it is a bad workaround. The more I learn about how the compass works, the more I realize it should be in a known orientation. Moving it on any axis throws off the math regardless of calibration. There is only one fix for this problem and that involves DJI and their firmware. We don't want them thinking we'll accept a bogus workaround because we won't.

How and why this is acceptable on the more expensive DJI platforms is beyond me!

What part of "Let's put an end to suggestions of rotating the compass" does anyone not understand.

How about the part where DJI have recommended it to customers? Or how about the numerous pilots who have twisted the compass to make their paper weight machines flyable? I understand where Ian is coming from, but at the same time, I don't have the patience to sit around waiting and hoping DJI will fix this problem, because they just might not.
It's not like they are strangers to this problem either. Anyone who owned a Wookong or NAZA (like I did) will know they had the same problems with those flight controllers. Major TBE, hooking etc, and the fix from DJI was to issue a V2 compass and instruct the pilots to ROTATE THE COMPASS.
I rest my case.

nzvideoguys said:
d4ddyo said:
ianwood said:

How about the part where DJI have recommended it to customers? Or how about the numerous pilots who have twisted the compass to make their paper weight machines flyable? I understand where Ian is coming from, but at the same time, I don't have the patience to sit around waiting and hoping DJI will fix this problem, because they just might not.
It's not like they are strangers to this problem either. Anyone who owned a Wookong or NAZA (like I did) will know they had the same problems with those flight controllers. Major TBE, hooking etc, and the fix from DJI was to issue a V2 compass and instruct the pilots to ROTATE THE COMPASS.
I rest my case.

This is not a court of law and there is no case and your case means nothing. Your impatience means nothing without any threat or action. Stop whining. If you feel that passionate about it there are things you can do as a consumer.

1. Boycott DJI
2. Take action against DJI and the Phantom Warranty as a defect.
3. Start your own lawsuit or even class action lawsuit

We already know what you are already whining about. Start a different RANT Thread if it makes you feel better and/or do something about it that is productive to your cause.

From a GPS perspective...
The computer in the phantom figures where it is on earth from timing info it gets from the GPS satellite signals. As it is sitting on the ground it doesn't know where north is or which way it is facing. It just knows where it is. Once it takes off and starts to move it can determine the track direction by the way position is changing. On commercial systems a table is included (as was mentioned earlier in one of the early discussions) that once position is determined it looks up the declination. Either DJI doesn't have this table or there is an error in the table or the way it is accessed. It knows heading not from the GPS but from the magnetic compass - and that's the problem.
These are very sophisticated calculations and I agree we want DJI working it hard but we want them to take the time to be thorough. The reason for using the testers around the world is that DJI headquarters is located in a location that has a very low declination. Testing there does almost no good for this problem as it isn't a problem at low declination. So with each iteration of the investigation they have no option but to get "our" testers to gather the data.
The technical sophistication of the Phantom is impressive and is WAY beyond the typical RC aircraft which know only how the pilot wants to move the controls. No GPS. No Baro Altitude. No Magnetic Heading. No calculations.

I also find that since I know what to expect I find it safe to fly in fairly confined spaces - but I don't like having I to spend the first few minutes of every flight keeping it hovering safely till it figures it out. So I am eager to get a fix, but I want that fix to solve the problem without causing some other problem. Let's encourage DJI and help however we can - but stop the constant bashing. Each of us are of course free to use whatever info we have in making our next purchase decision. But this is not one that effects mine, and if DJI pulls off a fix I will view it as responsive and a plus.

John Shaw said:
The computer in the phantom figures where it is on earth from timing info it gets from the GPS satellite signals. As it is sitting on the ground it doesn't know where north is or which way it is facing. It just knows where it is. Once it takes off and starts to move it can determine the track direction by the way position is changing. On commercial systems a table is included (as was mentioned earlier in one of the early discussions) that once position is determined it looks up the declination. Either DJI doesn't have this table or there is an error in the table or the way it is accessed. It knows heading not from the GPS but from the magnetic compass - and that's the problem.
These are very sophisticated calculations and I agree we want DJI working it hard but we want them to take the time to be thorough. The reason for using the testers around the world is that DJI headquarters is located in a location that has a very low declination. Testing there does almost no good for this problem as it isn't a problem at low declination. So with each iteration of the investigation they have no option but to get "our" testers to gather the data.
The technical sophistication of the Phantom is impressive and is WAY beyond the typical RC aircraft which know only how the pilot wants to move the controls. No GPS. No Baro Altitude. No Magnetic Heading. No calculations.

I also find that since I know what to expect I find it safe to fly in fairly confined spaces - but I don't like having I to spend the first few minutes of every flight keeping it hovering safely till it figures it out. So I am eager to get a fix, but I want that fix to solve the problem without causing some other problem. Let's encourage DJI and help however we can - but stop the constant bashing. Each of us are of course free to use whatever info we have in making our next purchase decision. But this is not one that effects mine, and if DJI pulls off a fix I will view it as responsive and a plus.

The NAZA does have declination tables and I seem to recall that the numbers seemed to be correct, leading to the conclusion that the software is using those data incorrectly - perhaps with a sign error somewhere.

Good Lord.. I'm not into boycotting DJI, nor am I going to pack my phantom away, until-- God only knows when-- DJI comes up with a solution.. All those ideas are ridiculous.. As long as I don't experience the TBE, I can live with some minor drift, at the end of a run.. Look at the pluses.. It's easy to fly, and takes excellent pictures.. DJI is aware of the problems, I'm sure they're busting their butt to get it corrected.. Meanwhile, if turning my compass helps my rig fly better, then damnit, that's what I'll do..

We already know what you are already whining about. Start a different RANT Thread if it makes you feel better and/or do something about it that is productive to your cause.[/quote]

Nobody is whining bud, nor is anyone RANTing. I'm stating my opinions just like everybody else on this thread. I want the issue to be resolved as much you or anyone else, as I'm an avid pilot. I'm just not prepared to shelve my Phantom while the clock ticks in the meantime. Are you?

obiwan_pierogi said:
Good Lord.. I'm not into boycotting DJI, nor am I going to pack my phantom away, until-- God only knows when-- DJI comes up with a solution.. All those ideas are ridiculous.. As long as I don't experience the TBE, I can live with some minor drift, at the end of a run.. Look at the pluses.. It's easy to fly, and takes excellent pictures.. DJI is aware of the problems, I'm sure they're busting their butt to get it corrected.. Meanwhile, if turning my compass helps my rig fly better, then damnit, that's what I'll do..

Good on you mate. Like I said, there are two issues, and one of them is continuing to use my Phantom safely. For now, we have a workable solution for flying, that does not in any way detract from DJI's responsibility to solve this issue. In spite of the comments by others to the contrary.

nzvideoguys said:
d4ddyo said:
ianwood said:

I rest my case.

There is a such thing as a tone... and in the tone you are whining. It's evident in your entire post, including the final comment in all CAPs and "I rest my case". Total pessimism and sarcasm. And those options are not ridiculous. they are options available to you as a consumer. The other option is to be patient and let them resolve the issue

John Shaw said:
As it is sitting on the ground it doesn't know where north is or which way it is facing. It just knows where it is. Once it takes off and starts to move it can determine the track direction by the way position is changing.

This doesn't make sense. When I turn on my Phantom, and view my iOSD data through the goggles, rotating the Phantom will cause the Az (Azimuth) reading to fluctuate. (Azimuth: the horizontal angle or direction of a compass bearing). So it seems clear that the Phantom is aware of which direction it's heading via the compass. If it didn't know, how could it fly? How could it find it's way home? The GPS is useless without a compass to tell it which direction it's flying.
See page 3.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .06_en.pdf

nzvideoguys said:
We already know what you are already whining about. Start a different RANT Thread if it makes you feel better and/or do something about it that is productive to your cause.

Nobody is whining bud, nor is anyone RANTing. I'm stating my opinions just like everybody else on this thread. I want the issue to be resolved as much you or anyone else, as I'm an avid pilot. I'm just not prepared to shelve my Phantom while the clock ticks in the meantime. Are you?[/quote]

And guess what... my phantom is not shelved. I do have the TBE and J Hook. I compass calibrate. Wait for GPS Lock and Home to register. Take off in ATT if I have to... fly for a few min in ATT. if I want I switch to GPS mode to fly CL or HL. Land in GPS mode no problem. everything operates as intended. Of course I want it to be fixed. But i'm not telling everyone to rotate their compass... or crying on this forum on how bad DJI is because of a flaw. And it hasn't been that long. This thread was opened to show there was a problem. Then DJI reacted and Ian started another thread to start beta.

Then DJI set parameters for the Beta. Now we are in data collection phase. one word. RELAX

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl