Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

I haven't really seen anyone state that turning the compass has caused them issues and it seems to help. I know this is a band aid for the compass issue that is being address but I'm considering it in the meantime. Can anyone say that turning the compass caused more issues? Thanks

C-Mac13 said:
I haven't really seen anyone state that turning the compass has caused them issues and it seems to help. I know this is a band aid for the compass issue that is being address but I'm considering it in the meantime. Can anyone say that turning the compass caused more issues? Thanks

The jury is out but I think the most reasonable answer is that it will help from the start but you will notice the issue present itself later in flight as the system corrects and causes an over-correction to the opposite direction since the compass has moved.

Some people would rather have that problem than to fly around for 8-10 minutes waiting for it to clear up. Since I have numerous batteries and can get away with only using 50-60% of a battery, I have chosen to rotate my compass until there is a fix.

I have my compass rotated probably close to 30 degrees.. I have no problem controlling it, and no toilet bowl effect.. And today, after receiving the proper props, my flight is 100 % better.. ... The thing is, when you turn the compass, you're fighting the edge of the plastic leg.. So when you tighten the screws, they tend to loosen after the plastic compresses.. I didn't use the screwdriver that came with the copter, as it is highly magnetized.. I also put a little silicone on the screws and the base of the compass to hold it in place.. Also, as I mentioned before, when I calibrated, I did the horizontal dance standard, but when I tilt the copter on its edge, I tilt it so the one leg is slightly pointing down, to keep the long flat side of the compass parallel to the Earth.. ..Without rotating the compass, my copter goes into major toilet bowl effect, and straight flight is not possible.. If I attempt to fly straight towards an object, it would slide left.. And the left hook was ridiculous.. maybe 35 feet, after 100 foot straight run.. My declination here is 17 degrees positive.. I turned the compass clockwise, as viewed from the top

Rotating the compass will help mostly if you are in very high declination areas and see TBE right from take off. All things being relative, it will help make your flying more straight. It won't however make it go straight as it should normally. You will still have at a minimum minor hooking which will change throughout the flight and may be neutralized for portions of it. Unless you are flying in tight spots, you may not notice this fully. I will admit I am not 100% sure on that but I am pretty confident the behavior is consistent.

You can prove me wrong by flying down a corridor slightly larger than a normal hallway (maybe 10ft max). Do it at the beginning of the flight and then at the end without using any aileron or rudder. And if you can do this, please post a video! And include your declination and the exact amount you adjusted your compass. You can print out a compass to verify the angle.

12-degree-shim.jpg

Course Lock off center 10-15 degrees

I'm trying to reset course lock. After flipping into CL, it works but straight forward is actually about 15 degrees
to the left of center. Backwards goes back at 15 degree line to the right. In other words, the straight line
coward from me is a diaganol line. Pushing straight forward on stick results in straight line to the left as if I'm
banking and going coward. It works perfectly but is,off center. HL and all other orientation is perfect.
I calibrated, recalibrated software. Calibrated in the field. All diagnostics are in line. Any way to reset this to true center?

landonkk said:
C-Mac13 said:

The jury is out but I think the most reasonable answer is that it will help from the start but you will notice the issue present itself later in flight as the system corrects and causes an over-correction to the opposite direction since the compass has moved.

Some people would rather have that problem than to fly around for 8-10 minutes waiting for it to clear up. Since I have numerous batteries and can get away with only using 50-60% of a battery, I have chosen to rotate my compass until there is a fix.

I tried. Rotating compass temporarily fixed but autocorrected and reverse j hooked in 5 min. I would rather keep it as is. I fly ATT mode anyhow most of the time after take off.

d4ddyo said:
I tried. Rotating compass temporarily fixed but autocorrected and reverse j hooked in 5 min. I would rather keep it as is. I fly ATT mode anyhow most of the time after take off.

Good to know. Thanks

It's funny, but by my 3rd flight, without having any knowledge of the compass etc. , I noticed that the control seemed to improve a bit, over the course of the flight.. Since rotating the compass, I have still seen a slight left hook at times, and a slight right hook.. Although both of these seem to take place at random.. Sometimes at the beginning of the flight, and sometimes at the end.. Overall though, the copter flies straighter, and I don't have it fall into the TBE.. For me, the left slide off centre was more annoying than the left hook, (after stopping following a straight run).. If I wanted to fly in a specific direction, I was always correcting.. I think however, rotating the compass may affect the direction the red arrow is pointing, in the bulls eye positioning portion of the app.. But I haven't checked this out closely.. Because of the unpredictability of the hooking, I'm still wondering if perhaps some of the units have a weak electronic part

Re: Course Lock off center 10-15 degrees

dwcola said:
I'm trying to reset course lock. After flipping into CL, it works but straight forward is actually about 15 degrees
to the left of center. Backwards goes back at 15 degree line to the right. In other words, the straight line
coward from me is a diaganol line. Pushing straight forward on stick results in straight line to the left as if I'm
banking and going coward. It works perfectly but is,off center. HL and all other orientation is perfect.
I calibrated, recalibrated software. Calibrated in the field. All diagnostics are in line. Any way to reset this to true center?
I'm having similar behavior AFTER flying for 6-8 minutes. During the first part of the flight, the course lock works correctly (except for drift/hook left).
Is your compass/course lock off at the beginning of your flight?

You guys keep on rotating your compass , this gives DJI more time and less pressure to fix the problem. More complaints to DJI , hammer them with calls and emails to fix the problem.

I'm not backing down until I get a real fix. I started this campaign and I'm going to see it through.

obiwan_pierogi said:
It's funny, but by my 3rd flight, without having any knowledge of the compass etc. , I noticed that the control seemed to improve a bit, over the course of the flight.. Since rotating the compass, I have still seen a slight left hook at times, and a slight right hook.. Although both of these seem to take place at random.. Sometimes at the beginning of the flight, and sometimes at the end.. Overall though, the copter flies straighter, and I don't have it fall into the TBE.. For me, the left slide off centre was more annoying than the left hook, (after stopping following a straight run).. If I wanted to fly in a specific direction, I was always correcting.. I think however, rotating the compass may affect the direction the red arrow is pointing, in the bulls eye positioning portion of the app.. But I haven't checked this out closely.. Because of the unpredictability of the hooking, I'm still wondering if perhaps some of the units have a weak electronic part
I have the hooking issue and when I opened mine up I noticed the GPS antenna was cracked in half. **** dealer is being a pain in the butt sending a replacement. Said he would but,, nothing

Hi guys,
I live in Brazil (Brasilia: -21 deviation). I was having some trouble controlling the phantom a few times and now, after some research, I know it´s due to this compass problem. Specially at the beginning of the flight, when I point straight it goes to the right pretty badly and when I let go the sticks, it rotates around (I think this is what you call TBE). After 5 or 6 minutes into the flight it seems to improve a lot.
One time, during the first few flights, I flew it into a Tree and it got stuck up there. I had to call firefighters to recover it and fortunately it didn´t fall in a lake by the tree.
So.. I am waiting for a fix ASAP from DJI. It´s ridiculous they haven´t fixed such an inportant issue yet.

One more thing.. After updating the firmware to 3.0 and enabling Nasa Mode, I noticed some LED messages that I´m unable to figure out the meaning. After I let it warm up and get home position, it blinks 4 times green (slow blinking) and then around 8 times red (fast blinking), 4 times green, 8 times red, and so on... Anybody knows what this means?

PS: I tried calibrating everything (stick, basic, advanced, compass, etc... ) but it doesn´t change the LEDs.

THanks a lot.
Luciano.

lucianopacheco said:
Hi guys,
I live in Brazil (Brasilia: -21 deviation). I was having some trouble controlling the phantom a few times and now, after some research, I know it´s due to this compass problem. Specially at the beginning of the flight, when I point straight it goes to the right pretty badly and when I let go the sticks, it rotates around (I think this is what you call TBE). After 5 or 6 minutes into the flight it seems to improve a lot.
One time, during the first few flights, I flew it into a Tree and it got stuck up there. I had to call firefighters to recover it and fortunately it didn´t fall in a lake by the tree.
So.. I am waiting for a fix ASAP from DJI. It´s ridiculous they haven´t fixed such an inportant issue yet.

One more thing.. After updating the firmware to 3.0 and enabling Nasa Mode, I noticed some LED messages that I´m unable to figure out the meaning. After I let it warm up and get home position, it blinks 4 times green (slow blinking) and then around 8 times red (fast blinking), 4 times green, 8 times red, and so on... Anybody knows what this means?

PS: I tried calibrating everything (stick, basic, advanced, compass, etc... ) but it doesn´t change the LEDs.

THanks a lot.
Luciano.

Hi luciano, when you switched from phantom mode to naza mode the leds color chance, getting green color then 3-4 red color is normal, it means its getting satellites, after a while it will go all green, that means you have a good amount of satellites

Sana

If anybody wants to see a visualization of the compass issue, here is some GPS data that I pulled from an OSDII log file. This was done right at take off. Hovered for a few seconds. Flew forward 60ft and then let go. Waited for it to settle. Flew back 60ft and then let go. It shows a pretty bad hook!

compass-hook.jpg

ianwood, that is a great visualization diagram. It Is exactly what I've been seeing.Thanks for posting it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3