Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

d4ddyo said:
Having 2 that j-hook under same conditions is not the same unless you can go to a place with one of your P2s and show it j-hook where someone else did not have an issue with J Hook. It would rule out magnetic interference due to the location.
Sorry. I was responding to this.
d4ddyo said:
Go test both of yours side by side. same place with same firmware revision. Now that would be a test to see the results.

I did test under those conditions.

C-Mac13 said:
d4ddyo said:
Having 2 that j-hook under same conditions is not the same unless you can go to a place with one of your P2s and show it j-hook where someone else did not have an issue with J Hook. It would rule out magnetic interference due to the location.
d4ddyo said:
Go test both of yours side by side. same place with same firmware revision. Now that would be a test to see the results.

At different declination areas?

d4ddyo said:
C-Mac13 said:
d4ddyo said:
d4ddyo said:

At different declination areas?
Nope. Not yet but I was thinking of doing that.

Tampa, Fl. -5 declination. Upon liftoff, my FC40 drifts to the right and back, slight J-hook after forward pitch. Seems to auto-fix after a few maneuvers. The rest of the time it is fine, I can put in a new battery at the same location and the second flight is good from the beginning without any drifting. Never had it toilet bowl on me, just some minor drifting after intitial liftoff.

Woody said:
Tampa, Fl. -5 declination. Upon liftoff, my FC40 drifts to the right and back, slight J-hook after forward pitch. Seems to auto-fix after a few maneuvers. The rest of the time it is fine, I can put in a new battery at the same location and the second flight is good from the beginning without any drifting. Never had it toilet bowl on me, just some minor drifting after intitial liftoff.

Simply based on what we know so far, based on your declination (not extreme), and the fact that it doesn't reset after switching batteries, your problem might not be what is described here. I would do an advanced calibration in the P2 assistant and make sure you are doing the compass dance in an area with nothing that could interfere with the compass.

d4ddyo said:
When i meant side by side i meant phantoms from different declination areas

This has been done. I am hoping to repeat it myself when I am in Chicago for my own edification (and just to experience flying straight for once). Regardless, the behavior is distinctly regional well beyond any possibility of coincidence. Out of the 95 people who have reported the issue to me, their average declination is greater than +/- 15. That's way way above normal. This is not a defect in a couple of Phantoms. This is a firmware issue.

Hi. First post here. Thanks for the thread.

Reno, NV +14 Declination
Left hook.

I've flown a Phantom 1 for eight months with no problem.
Received my P2 about 2 weeks ago. From the get go, I've thought the Phantom 2 was mushy at start but then forgot about it as the flight progressed.I figured it was the extra weight and have played with the gains a bit. As it turns out, I've got the hook as well.

Flying in HL and CL.
Winds are 15mph right now, blowing to my "left". I just flew two batteries. Behavior seemed the same on both flights.
I fly out ~100 and the bugger tracks/drifts and then hooks left about 20' before it gently stops.
When I return, it does the opposite and hooks to the right (into the wind)
After ~ 6 minutes everything seemed to "kick in" better. No more hook and the GPS seemed a *lot* more active in compensating for the wind EXCEPT that it tracked off by about 45 degrees (at least in CL mode). Once I bring the rig home, land and toggle CL/HL to reset, it flies perfect for the remainder of the battery.

Now that I think about it, on several of my recent flights, I've been switching to normal mode (which I never used in my p1) instead of CL when approaching home . Was I doing this because it was windy and my CL was wonky?

So, in addition to the hook issue, is something going during the apparent compass/gps "learning" process that is also trying(or not) to compensate for the wind effect?
Anyone else want to get out in the wind and verify? :eek: :)

Just Joe said:
Hi. First post here. Thanks for the thread.

Reno, NV +14 Declination
Left hook.

I've flown a Phantom 1 for eight months with no problem.
Received my P2 about 2 weeks ago. From the get go, I've thought the Phantom 2 was mushy at start but then forgot about it as the flight progressed.I figured it was the extra weight and have played with the gains a bit. As it turns out, I've got the hook as well.

Flying in HL and CL.
Winds are 15mph right now, blowing to my "left". I just flew two batteries. Behavior seemed the same on both flights.
I fly out ~100 and the bugger tracks/drifts and then hooks left about 20' before it gently stops.
When I return, it does the opposite and hooks to the right (into the wind)
After ~ 6 minutes everything seemed to "kick in" better. No more hook and the GPS seemed a *lot* more active in compensating for the wind EXCEPT that it tracked off by about 45 degrees (at least in CL mode). Once I bring the rig home, land and toggle CL/HL to reset, it flies perfect for the remainder of the battery.

Now that I think about it, on several of my recent flights, I've been switching to normal mode (which I never used in my p1) instead of CL when approaching home . Was I doing this because it was windy and my CL was wonky?

So, in addition to the hook issue, is something going during the apparent compass/gps "learning" process that is also trying(or not) to compensate for the wind effect?
Anyone else want to get out in the wind and verify? :eek: :)

Your description matches the symptoms perfectly. As for the wind, I would guess that it does factor into the adaption process but I would also guess the Phantom can learn the wind pretty quickly just by hovering and flying in more than one direction. Whether or not there is a wind adaption is unclear.

ianwood said:
Your description matches the symptoms perfectly. As for the wind, I would guess that it does factor into the adaption process but I would also guess the Phantom can learn the wind pretty quickly just by hovering and flying in more than one direction. Whether or not there is a wind adaption is unclear.
Thanks for the reply.
Another datapoint-
I just downgraded to 1.08 and have the exact same hook/drift problem.
I am able to _confirm_ that after "learning", Home Lock brought the puppy home and Course Lock was off by about 15-30 degrees. Hmmm...
If the winds lay down I'll be posting again tonight.

i think the fact west coasters are complaining about a left j hook forward and us east coasters are complaining about right j hook shows that magnetic declination is atleast playing some kind of a role in all this... this is def a firmware issue

i
phone makes a FREE app called Declination.... works just like the Maps app. drag you position across the world and get your reading... I see what they mean now about the north west of america and africa... :shock:

ianwood said:
d4ddyo said:
When i meant side by side i meant phantoms from different declination areas

This has been done. I am hoping to repeat it myself when I am in Chicago for my own edification (and just to experience flying straight for once). Regardless, the behavior is distinctly regional well beyond any possibility of coincidence. Out of the 95 people who have reported the issue to me, their average declination is greater than +/- 15. That's way way above normal. This is not a defect in a couple of Phantoms. This is a firmware issue.

Hi Ian.
Took delivery of a brand new P2 with H3-3D yesterday. I set it up with a 40deg clockwise rotation on the compass.
It flies really well. No TBE at all and j hook is not an issue because I fly slowly to get good footage.
Sample clip here. https://vimeo.com/92861330

This is the very first flight video.
https://vimeo.com/92872765

Here's another clip taken in 35kmh winds.
https://vimeo.com/92901989

Still, patiently awaiting a proper fix.

Paul

Bigbells said:
It's possible that I have done as much reading as anyone regarding these quad control issues. In addition, I've used 4 different versions of firmware on my Phantom 2 quads, including both 2.0 and 3.0.

I firmly believe that Phantom 2 Assistant versions 2.0 and 3.0 have a programming error, and that version 1.08 does not have this error.
My suggestion regarding version 1.08 is: try it! You just might like it! If not, you can always go back to version 2.0 or 3.0 if your experience is different from mine.

The above is my honest opinion. I could be wrong. I'm not trying to claim that I know more than anyone else. I just want to share that I've found a solution that works for me.

Very well said BB. :)

... I couldn't resist posting the exchange I've been having with DJI, concerning all the problems I've been having with my DJI Vision 2.. They should add this to their advertisements for the copters: "Oh by the way.. If you have any problems with your copter after purchasing it, don't bother getting in touch with us, cause we won't hesitate to tell you to go screw yourself.. "
...Their service totally sucks... I think I'll just keep changing parts, until I get the thing working myself.. Don't think I'll be buying another copter off this company-- at least not until they get their act together..

Robert E.
Robert E. (DJI Technology)

Apr 23 08:34

Dear Jon

Thank you for your email.

We feel that we can better assist you through our live support team.

You can reach our phone support by calling 818-235-0789. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PST).
We will do our best to help you resolve this issue.

Thank you.

Rob E.
DJI Technology,
Systems Administrator.

Me
To DJI Technology
Apr 23 at 9:10 AM

Yeah.. And then I'm waiting on hold for an hour and a half to have some guy tell me I need to calibrate the compass or do a basic or advanced IMU calibration.. (which I've already done-- numerous times..) What's he going to do, give me directions on how to re-solder parts, or have the electronics tested out? As it is now, the only way I can get any decent flight out of my Vision 2, is to have the compass turned about 30 degrees on the leg.. Is this normal?

DJI Technology
To Me
Today at 8:14 AM

Robert E.

Apr 24 08:14

This is normal depending on the magentic declination of your area.

Rob E.
DJI Technology,
Systems Administrator.

Me
To DJI Technology
Today at 7:16 PM

:-(

Did anyone else catch this?

A customer, obiwan_pierogi, asks, "As it is now, the only way I can get any decent flight out of my Vision 2, is to have the compass turned about 30 degrees on the leg.. Is this normal?"

And DJI responds, "This is normal depending on the magentic declination of your area."

Rob E.
DJI Technology,
Systems Administrator.

So DJI is admitting that rotating the compass is a "normal" fix for the problems we're having???
Why don't they publicly state this on their website? Why do we only see it in a line of text answering
a frustrated customers question?

obiwan_pierogi said:
... I couldn't resist posting the exchange I've been having with DJI, concerning all the problems I've been having with my DJI Vision 2.. They should add this to their advertisements for the copters: "Oh by the way.. If you have any problems with your copter after purchasing it, don't bother getting in touch with us, cause we won't hesitate to tell you to go screw yourself.. "
...Their service totally sucks... I think I'll just keep changing parts, until I get the thing working myself.. Don't think I'll be buying another copter off this company-- at least not until they get their act together..

Robert E.

Apr 23 08:34

Dear Jon

Thank you for your email.

We feel that we can better assist you through our live support team.

You can reach our phone support by calling 818-235-0789. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PST).
We will do our best to help you resolve this issue.

Thank you.

Rob E.
DJI Technology,
Systems Administrator.

Me
To DJI Technology
Apr 23 at 9:10 AM

Yeah.. And then I'm waiting on hold for an hour and a half to have some guy tell me I need to calibrate the compass or do a basic or advanced IMU calibration.. (which I've already done-- numerous times..) What's he going to do, give me directions on how to re-solder parts, or have the electronics tested out? As it is now, the only way I can get any decent flight out of my Vision 2, is to have the compass turned about 30 degrees on the leg.. Is this normal?

DJI Technology
To Me
Today at 8:14 AM

Robert E.

Apr 24 08:14

This is normal depending on the magentic declination of your area.

Rob E.
DJI Technology,
Systems Administrator.

Me
To DJI Technology
Today at 7:16 PM

:-(

+1

nzvideoguys said:

A customer, obiwan_pierogi, asks, "As it is now, the only way I can get any decent flight out of my Vision 2, is to have the compass turned about 30 degrees on the leg.. Is this normal?"

And DJI responds, "This is normal depending on the magentic declination of your area."

Rob E.
DJI Technology,
Systems Administrator.

So DJI is admitting that rotating the compass is a "normal" fix for the problems we're having???
Why don't they publicly state this on their website? Why do we only see it in a line of text answering

I would guess because this employee spoke in err. Nowhere has DJI ever said rotating the compass is acceptable. This is either an employee speaking out of line OR a major transition in DJI's stance on the issue.

nzvideoguys said:

DJI's support guys don't know their backside from their elbow. If the compass was meant to be rotated, it would be designed to accommodate it. We've been told by more senior people that rotation the compass may be OK for other setups but it's not supposed to be needed on the Phantom.

Saw your vids. Looks like rotating the compass helped. Keep an eye on it especially when down low and letting off from flying straight. Compare beginning of flight to the end. Easiest way to reproduce it is hard forward and then letting go. Also try course lock and see if it travels on the actual course from take off.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94