Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Trinidad - Caribbean and I'm getting the hook effect and it just won't hover in one place. My j-hook goes to the right when flying forward and left when flying backwards. I have tried compass calibration in the middle of nowhere as far away from any metal and power lines as I could get but no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of Phantoms flying around in Christchurch! I am from Lyttelton, New Zealand, and have the same problem.
Fix it, JPI!!!

Add me to the list- Northeast States (50 miles outside of DC)

I will say I have tweaked and re-tweaked- noticed a slight worsening on aftermarket landing gear due to the relocation up and out about 3mm but nothing of real note.

My specific issue is that the Phantom (v1.1.1) will not hold a steady position in no wind- I wanted an aerial tripod for the gopro for this summer's bike events- that way I can put it up and not have to watch it for 2 minute stretches... but she drifts around and will not keep in one place very well. I would say there is about a 2 to 3 meter circle she likes to swing around in- and that is not what I have seen on Colin's vids, or some other videos.

I had the issue from day 1, but never paid much mind to it as I chalked most of my issues up to being new to multi rotors and gps flight controllers.

I'm in Santa Cruz, Ca. same problem. just noticed it while getting a shot across a long narrow covered bridge. I had to constantly correct to the right to stay straight. phantom 2 w/zenmuse

my original phantom has no issue with this however.

UPDATE: There's 30 of us P2 and P2V users so far who have reported that they have this issue. Every single one of us is in an area where the magnetic declination is greater than +/-10. This supports our belief that this is a compass related bug. Further supporting this, we have 2 (or is it 3) people who have both P1 and P2 and only see the problem on the P2/P2V.

If you have this problem and haven't yet reported it here, please do so. I want 50 or more before I take it to DJI.

DesertFlyer53 said:
If any of you are on facebook. I would suggest you go to DJI's page and bug them about this. If enough of us do this, we might get a response. Link below.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/DJIglobal

DITTO

Post your comments ang link this page. They get a lot of visitors to their FB page. The more people who are aware of the issue the better! and hopefully the faster it will be corrected

This is my first post on this forum, as I just received my Phantom 2 and started looking online for this issuse.

I can confirm this exists in Los Angeles, CA

Hiway said:
Add me to the list- Northeast States (50 miles outside of DC)

I will say I have tweaked and re-tweaked- noticed a slight worsening on aftermarket landing gear due to the relocation up and out about 3mm but nothing of real note.

My specific issue is that the Phantom (v1.1.1) will not hold a steady position in no wind- I wanted an aerial tripod for the gopro for this summer's bike events- that way I can put it up and not have to watch it for 2 minute stretches... but she drifts around and will not keep in one place very well. I would say there is about a 2 to 3 meter circle she likes to swing around in- and that is not what I have seen on Colin's vids, or some other videos.

I had the issue from day 1, but never paid much mind to it as I chalked most of my issues up to being new to multi rotors and gps flight controllers.

I'm from Alberta and also have this issue but I have done the aerial tripod thing while I was in a bobcat loading material. What I found was at the start it would do the toilet bowl thing but after a 4-5mins it shortened its circles and spent the next 12-13mins holding position pretty well - stayed centered on my target area too! You might want to try that out.

I'm not sure if I switched between ATTI and GPS mode like was suggested here, but even on my video I left it airborne doing circles to jump in the Bobcat and it smoothed itself out.

I got the hook with my P2Z. South of Sacramento, declination about +13.5. After calibrating the compass and waiting for HL and GPS, I took off in GPS mode. Very pronounced left hook going forward and rt hook going back. It almost disappeared after switching to atti mode, and much less pronounced after going back to GPS

I have a P2 and a P2 Vision and both won't fly straight. They hook left. Pain in the a$$ when you want to do good video.

You can add me to the list... And you can actually mark me down for two, as I have two Phantom 2's (non-vision) exhibiting the exact issues being described. I'm operating in Santa Barbara, CA.

hook3m said:
I have a P2 and a P2 Vision and both won't fly straight. They hook left. Pain in the a$$ when you want to do good video.

Where are you located? I am going to assume Western US but need a verification for my list.

BTW, everyone, we're up to 39 people. Bigger update soon.

ianwood said:
hook3m said:

Where are you located? I am going to assume Western US but need a verification for my list.

BTW, everyone, we're up to 39 people. Bigger update soon.

I'm in Austin TX

hook3m said:
I'm in Austin TX

Curious, declination there is only 5 degrees. Do you get a slight hook when you first start out and then it cleans up? Or do you get a prominent hook that doesn't go away? Any more information on what you're seeing would be helpful.

ianwood said:
hook3m said:
I'm in Austin TX

Curious, declination there is only 5 degrees. Do you get a slight hook when you first start out and then it cleans up? Or do you get a prominent hook that doesn't go away? Any more information on what you're seeing would be helpful.

There is always a nice hook when I start out. Sometimes it cleans up and other times it does not. I just few and it hooked and cleaned up and I was going. Always starts out with a hook though.

Hey
I am living in Greece but I bought my Phantom 2 from Buildyourowndrone.com UK
around 5 of March, 2014

I have drifting problems with circles etc since the first day,
It is difficult to make it steady and hover even if I have 11 satelites and calibrated everything usually before every flight!

Today it started to make circles with big speed and tried to run away twice!

here is my footage
http://youtu.be/zUEpz_6OyEI

I am very experienced with Phantom 1 and no similar problems up to now, but this is defective for sure!

I reported the TBE effect I was having on my Phantom2Z and was very frustrated. I even called DJI and got a tech who was not much help. Suggested I wave a magnet around the compass. I told him I had looked at the compass readings in the assistant and they all looked good. I tried it and no help.

Its been kinda windy here so my flying has been limited. Went out this morning in the back yard and did some hovering and TB was still effecting the hover. With the Naza M you simply rotate the puck/compass and it fixes any TB. I shimmed my compass maybe 20deg, hard to be accurate. Went out again and went into a hover. It seemed the TB was gone. Its kinda windy again and it was going between 6/7 sats but no TB. Even the dog was happy.

This is obviously not conclusive but I will add that on the second test I did not at any time switch to Att which had helped it a bit before. Tomorrow is supposed to be much less wind so I will be able to get a better test.

Tom
Cape Cod

DJI has to address this problem immediately.
If they want to play it "Apple" in this market, they must act like Apple in support too.
It is not only the marketing, but the after sales support.

If the problem is caused by defective electronics, they have to recall that part and replace our Phantoms with good ones.

There are laws in European Union about it.

Thanks

Mindflights said:
DJI has to address this problem immediately.
If they want to play it "Apple" in this market, they must act like Apple in support too.
It is not only the marketing, but the after sales support.

If the problem is caused by defective electronics, they have to recall that part and replace our Phantoms with good ones.

There are laws in European Union about it.

Thanks

Nobody in the world has great support like Apple does

That's why I wrote that.
They are copying apple in marketing, so they have to "copy" its support too..

just look DJI's website, sometimes I think I am visiting apple.com

:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20