First time flying it. Motor Burned Out.

Reaction score
This is quite interesting. I just received my Phantom 3 Advanced yesterday. And I am taking it for a test run. And after about 10 seconds of flying it in the air, one motor supposedly burned out(And I received "Motor Obstructed") warning. Then it flipped sideway, and tumbled to the ground. It isn't very high(1m), so it is fine. Then I quickly tried to shut down the motor, but that didn't work, and one the motor started smoking. I then just pulled the battery out. After I brought it back in the house, I examined the motor, it is still smoking, and it is extremely hot. I still don't know what exactly happened there. Should I send it back to DJI for repair/replacement? What should I do?

This is quite interesting. I just received my Phantom 3 Advanced yesterday. And I am taking it for a test run. And after about 10 seconds of flying it in the air, one motor supposedly burned out(And I received "Motor Obstructed") warning. Then it flipped sideway, and tumbled to the ground. It isn't very high(1m), so it is fine. Then I quickly tried to shut down the motor, but that didn't work, and one the motor started smoking. I then just pulled the battery out. After I brought it back in the house, I examined the motor, it is still smoking, and it is extremely hot. I still don't know what exactly happened there. Should I send it back to DJI for repair/replacement? What should I do?

Hi @ Eric1084 That is really strange, that must have been a faulty engine. Contact DJI support, and demand a replacement.

Hi @ Eric1084 That is really strange, that must have been a faulty engine. Contact DJI support, and demand a replacement.
I am going to upload the flight log. If anyone know how to read it, please take a look. I just tried calling support, but apparently, they are closed. Also the live support chat as well.

It appears to be a case of motor jamming. Reasons could be many like bearing problem, foreign matter in motor, damaged windings, incorrect ESC .....

You need to send it back for investigation and repairs. Ask for replacement as you have not flown at all.

I have read your flight record, that's really weird...
We can say you aren't lucky

It appears to be a case of motor jamming. Reasons could be many like bearing problem, foreign matter in motor, damaged windings, incorrect ESC .....

You need to send it back for investigation and repairs. Ask for replacement as you have not flown at all.
When motor gets jammed, doesn't it automatically cut power to that engine?(Even my $200 Ar Drone does that) It is quite sad. It is literally 1 meter off the ground for 40 seconds. Flew 10 feet out. And crash... Is DJI going to replace that? Or are they just going to say, well, you aren't careful enough to check every corner of the motor before you took off. So **** you.

Right now, I tried to rotate the motor with my hands, and they all seems fine. So how did it jam?

Last edited:
Nothing to see there, really bad luck. Yes motor obstruction. Shortest flight in history.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

DJI will help you fore sure, but its FU you have to wait again. Really bad luck. You must have been very lucky with something else, buy a lottery ticket.
I just gathered my wits, and tried to power on the aircraft, and start the motors(Without Props Of course). And it starts just fine. All the motors are spinning as well. But should I worry about the previous smoking motor?

Please if the motor was smoking DO NOT FLY that aircraft!

Send it back for an exchange.

I just gathered my wits, and tried to power on the aircraft, and start the motors(Without Props Of course). And it starts just fine. All the motors are spinning as well. But should I worry about the previous smoking motor?

Please if the motor was smoking DO NOT FLY that aircraft!

Send it back for an exchange.
Right. I am guessing right now, something got in to the motor in packaging/manufacture. And after I flew it, when it is rotating, the thing that is stuck actually jammed the motor, and after the copter came crashing down, the debris flew out. But since the copter is tilt over from the crash, the ground stopped the prop from rotating, therefore, killing the motor. But, since the debris flew out, It is working now. Still though, why doesn't it cut power to the motors when the system knows something is wrong? At the end of the day, I will send it back I guess. And I will give them a call on monday.

Right. I am guessing right now, something got in to the motor in packaging/manufacture. And after I flew it, when it is rotating, the thing that is stuck actually jammed the motor, and after the copter came crashing down, the debris flew out. But since the copter is tilt over from the crash, the ground stopped the prop from rotating, therefore, killing the motor. But, since the debris flew out, It is working now. Still though, why doesn't it cut power to the motors when the system knows something is wrong? At the end of the day, I will send it back I guess. And I will give them a call on monday.
No prop guards installed right? Some came with the wrong length screws.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Not sure if you calibrated where you took off or not, or if the car was parked right there or if its a cached google earth image. If you did happen to calibrate next to a car you should try to avoid that I think. It obviously had nothing to do with your issue even if you did calibrate next to a car, just saying. Im sorry you didnt get a chance to enjoy it before the hardware fail :/

Reactions: Badfinger
Sorry for your bad luck . Keep us posted . I'm curious to see how long it takes dji to get you a replacement. Good luck and I hope you're back in the air very soon.

Not sure if you calibrated where you took off or not, or if the car was parked right there or if its a cached google earth image. If you did happen to calibrate next to a car you should try to avoid that I think. It obviously had nothing to do with your issue even if you did calibrate next to a car, just saying. Im sorry you didnt get a chance to enjoy it before the hardware fail :/
It was a cached image. Google never have a live map... It is completely unobstructed. So there shouldn't be anything interfering with it. Plus, that doesn't explain why a engine failed mid-air, and started smoking. And it sucks :(

When motor gets jammed, doesn't it automatically cut power to that engine?(Even my $200 Ar Drone does that) It is quite sad. It is literally 1 meter off the ground for 40 seconds. Flew 10 feet out. And crash... Is DJI going to replace that? Or are they just going to say, well, you aren't careful enough to check every corner of the motor before you took off. So **** you.

Right now, I tried to rotate the motor with my hands, and they all seems fine. So how did it jam?
No it doesn't cutoff power to motors when motors get jammed. ESCs try to limit the current but that doesn't stop from burning the motor.

Motor jamming could be due to many reasons and not just mechanical.

If a bearing is bad it could act differently under load.

Are they the new motors or the old.
See picture here.
Did I get an old model? | DJI Phantom Forum

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31