First test of P4pv2

Reaction score
Got time to take it up a bit this afternoon.
And after 15 min started realizing that I wasn't able to get anything in focus.
Flipping out, tried everything I could think of.
Tap focus, auto focus with shutter button , manual, resetting everything.

Every time I zoomed in to focus it looked like mush.
Could not figure it out.
And there was some really cool
Fog stuff happening that I would have spent more time with.
But I packed up came home.
Downloaded and...
Everything looks totally fine.
THis is a two frame Dropbox - DJI_0020-Pano.jpg

I'm using a new 9.7" iPad
Only thing I can think is the preview I'm seeing on screen is so low res for this screen that it just looks awful when zoomed in for the Focus assist.

Anyone else have this issue? Or know how to work around it?
It's going to be hard to get used to if it always looks mushy when focusing.

Also seems pretty sensitive to wind.

I'll be doing more tests next few days.

Reactions: jpbroomfield
My iPad 2017 after taking a picture I go in to look at it and zoom in on the picture and the resolution sucks. Upload it to my phone picture is beautiful even when zooming in.
I'm not at all impressed with the almighty God Apple. First Apple I ever owned.

I have found the iPad has resolution issues for the pics when displayed in djigo4. Yes on from P4P they look like mush, in fact, Mavic and Spark also. But iPhone also has same issue, it's due to the retina display and lack of support for the full resolution of the display by the app, sometimes called "respect for retina" Some apps will actually have this as an option under settings, Djigo4 doesn't.

Since the Dji app does not respect the retina resolution it makes realtime playback of stills and video look soft. Manual focus is next to impossible IMO. Unless up close to a subject. The touch for AF works very well. I tend to take off, hit my AF on distant subject then switch back to MF and stay there for the rest of the flight. If I switch between video and stills, I always hit AF again before I start the video just to make sure. So far the touch for AF on the P4P has worked very well, and with aperture in the F 4.5 to 7.1 range diffraction is kept to a minimal amount.

The CS monitor has a better resolution and you get a better idea of what is truly in focus. But with the P4P and CS I have other issues so I don't use it now. (Video lockups and app disconnections)

Apple displays have great resolution, iPhone, iPad, but many apps don't seem to take the time to fully support that resolution and resulting down res makes things worse IMO. The display needs to have everything written for the best supported resolution.

Paul Caldwell

Ya, the CS probs suck.
Can DJI put out something that doesn't have problems.
I got an idea how about quality control before you put it out to the public.

Got time to take it up a bit this afternoon.
And after 15 min started realizing that I wasn't able to get anything in focus.
Flipping out, tried everything I could think of.
Tap focus, auto focus with shutter button , manual, resetting everything.
The lens on the P4 pro has so much depth of field at any aperture that focus is not particularly important.
I use autofocus and have never had any problem with it.
Tap the AF/MF icon up near the top right to swap between auto and manual focus.
i-LtDwP4p-M.png

i-5fDBkqG-M.png

Every time I zoomed in to focus it looked like mush.
Could not figure it out.

Only thing I can think is the preview I'm seeing on screen is so low res for this screen that it just looks awful when zoomed in for the Focus assist.
Anyone else have this issue? Or know how to work around it?
It's going to be hard to get used to if it always looks mushy when focusing.
You should be seeing a good, clear liveview in 720p resolution like this:
i-mkhpmCg-M.png

Since focus is not critical, I'd recommend not bothering with the confusing focus assist at all.
Just gently squeeze the trigger half way, a green square appears and beeps, click the shutter button all the way and *click*

Also seems pretty sensitive to wind.
The P4 pro should hold position in wind as well as anu of the earlier models

My iPad 2017 after taking a picture I go in to look at it and zoom in on the picture and the resolution sucks. Upload it to my phone picture is beautiful even when zooming in.
I'm not at all impressed with the almighty God Apple. First Apple I ever owned.
That's not an apple issue.
All you will get is the 720p preview image.
If you want to see the full quality original image, you have to bring the Phantom back and get it from the SD card.

Reactions: Deezbs and Stimmy
The issue you're having may already have been addressed. It may sound dumb to even say this, but there isn't any film guard protecting the lens is there?

The issue you're having may already have been addressed. It may sound dumb to even say this, but there isn't any film guard protecting the lens is there?

Nope. No film guard. First thing I checked.
Thanks for all the input. I won't worry about it.

And the wind issue I mentioned was of course the High Wind warning.
And when doing video on a swooping curve it seems to shudder a bit.

But really only did a few clips on less than one battery.
More serious tests tomorrow.

Shot my first job this morning with it everything went pretty smooth Lee. Except I somehow disabled the C1 and C2 switches. Are used them a lot specially to flip the camera straight down and then back to level again and I have my gimbal set for a very slow is smooth pan which is wonderful while you're shooting but terrible if you need to shoot straight down quickly. I can't figure out how to get the C 1?& C2 switch is working again. Anybody know how to do that. What I might've done to disable them?

And yes. I know where the settings are to assign the functions. They were working. Now they aren't.
Since both of them aren't doing anything it makes me believe it's a setting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic