Goggles with P4P - first flights

Reaction score
Colour me unhappy.

Edit: got this packed with the goggles.

Got the goggles and did the various rituals to set them up (new Assistant s/w, installed the "Android" comms pak that allows a Mac to talk to the Android based f/w in DJI products, re-booted, updated the goggle f/w, registered the goggles to my account).

Now the impact of the fact that these are not friendly things to use with a P4P (never mind legally - more below). With the goggles connected to the P4P controller, you no longer have the tablet for a/c state information. The displayed info in the goggles is quite sparse.

Took my SO to a spot to try them out. I took off with them and flew around FPV while she kept the bird in view. Then she tried them. Everything was awful. Of course. She touched the side of the goggles various times while putting them on and menus covered the screen. Cleared that. Everything was awful. Of course. She's far sighted. Dig in her purse for reading glasses.

Ah. Nice and sharp. So, I buzz around, now having lost VLOS to the stupid bird. So she's verbally telling me what she's seeing and I'm navigating on that. "There's the cell tower", turn "You're near the filtration plant", turn ... actually effective navigation as long as I stayed at 90m height ... explained the controls to her and let her move it around, but she wasn't comfortable with that. So I took over and she verbally navigated me back to where I could see the bird. At that point she was feeling unsettled like a bad car ride. Landed the bird and waited for her son to show up.

He misunderstood where to go, so during this wait I tried a few FPV approaches and landings. The approach is fine but the final metre or so to the ground is hard to judge so just hovered and then pulled the down lever until the earth rose up and hit the bird. Shut rotors. Takeoffs are painless and easy. Spotter tells me that she is bored to tears with this.

SO's son arrives. Change the battery, select S mode. Full blast take off. But, he didn't get the benefit of that due to the menus all over the screen. Again. Arghhhh. Cleared those. Managed to keep the bird VLOS this time. He loved it. Hovered and explained the controls to him (and switched to P mode) and let him buzz around. Of course he quickly went out of VLOS (for me) but could describe where he was, so no big deal. Another round of verbal navigation and don't fly over the freeway and so on.

He attempted a FPV approach but was still rough so I had him take off the goggles to land the bird.

Anyway, the Goggles with the P4P is not a practical thing unless you're working with a spotter. Too easy to fly out of VLOS but for the person flying and using the goggles it's quite easy. Need to spend some time using the menus in the goggles while flying. Some other day. Spotters are not easy to come by - never mind keep interested while you get your flying rocks off.

Will get the allegedly perfectly repaired (new SERNO again...) MP back this Friday. Should be a better experience with that.

Another note. I need a haircut. You cannot wear these things with long thick hair in the back. Tend to slip all the time.
EDIT: Got the hair cut. Much better - doesn't slip.

Another note. My SO confirms that I looked like a total nerd goofa$s wearing these. (I look like a nerd goofa$s normally, so this just completed the circle).

Another note. Bring mosquito repellent stupid.

Another note. Close the car doors lest it fill with mosquitos while flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChipperRay
Thanks for the review. I'm a bit confused by what you were trying to achieve though. If you are flying and someone else is using the goggles (other than with the Mavic), surely you want them connected via HDMI, to avoid exactly the situation you encountered beyond VLOS.

the Goggles with the P4P is not a practical thing unless you're working with a spotter. Too easy to fly out of VLOS but for the person flying and using the goggles it's quite easy.
Agreed. I think that scenario is only practical if you're connecting the googles to the HDMI Output Module. That'll allow you to use the DJI Goggles and your mobile device at the same time. Even when flying alone, it's still nice to be able to look down and interact with the DJI GO app if needed.

I'm confused too. How, with the P4P controller, does one connect a tablet and the goggles at the same time? On the P4P controller there's an old style USB port going to the goggles and and a micro USB port. (I assume for 2 controller setups).

Can I connect the DJI HDMI adaptor to the micro USB port to drive the goggles and use the old USB-style connector for the tablet? If so, then I'll order it today. Need an ND16 too.

Agreed. I think that scenario is only practical if you're connecting the googles to the HDMI Output Module. That'll allow you to use the DJI Goggles and your mobile device at the same time. Even when flying alone, it's still nice to be able to look down and interact with the DJI GO app if needed.

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Somehow I couldn't get that out of the manual for the goggles. Maybe reading the P4P manual would have been a better source.

See my other post. So I just order the DJI HDMI adaptor to plug into the micro USB on the P4P controller?

You'll need to install the HDMI Output Module on the remote controller (like this) and connect an HDMI to mini HDMI adapter to the HDMI cable that comes with the DJI Goggles. I'm using this Afunta adapter.

Once you have that setup in place, the DJI Goggles will only function as a viewing device. You'll only see menus to change the brightness, volume, and video scale (zooms the image in/out).

The goggles will display a screen like this:

FPVGogglesView.jpg

Isn't there a way to lock the touch pad? Seems like I seen that I the review the German YouTuber done.

Swipe two fingers sideways (toward your face) to lock the touchpad. Slide two fingers forward to unlock it.

Seems like that would have helped some of the OP's aggravation with the goggles.

Isn't there a way to lock the touch pad? Seems like I seen that I the review the German YouTuber done.

Yep - but of course first time in the field all those details slip your mind.

(They slip my mind on a good day, never mind trying the new gadget, corralling my SO and trying by phone to navigate her son to the site ...)

But then you give up all the motion tracking goodness which for me is one of the major features of FPV and the goggles. So far I'm finding that it's pretty frustrating/impractical to fly solo with the very limited HUD info in the goggles and the only solution is to either use HDMI (which would also require an upgrade to my P4P controller) and give up features I want and paid for or try to move the USB connection from the goggles to the tablet during flight which is totally impractical. Hopefully a future firmware upgrade will add more information to the goggles data display, but until then use with a Phantom will be pretty frustrating.

IMO fpv with goggles sounds good in theory but you give up a few things. Obviously VLOS and the ability to see who comes up to you while you wear this ridiculous headgear.

Colour me unhappy.

Edit: got this packed with the goggles.

Got the goggles and did the various rituals to set them up (new Assistant s/w, installed the "Android" comms pak that allows a Mac to talk to the Android based f/w in DJI products, re-booted, updated the goggle f/w, registered the goggles to my account).

Now the impact of the fact that these are not friendly things to use with a P4P (never mind legally - more below). With the goggles connected to the P4P controller, you no longer have the tablet for a/c state information. The displayed info in the goggles is quite sparse.

Took my SO to a spot to try them out. I took off with them and flew around FPV while she kept the bird in view. Then she tried them. Everything was awful. Of course. She touched the side of the goggles various times while putting them on and menus covered the screen. Cleared that. Everything was awful. Of course. She's far sighted. Dig in her purse for reading glasses.

Ah. Nice and sharp. So, I buzz around, now having lost VLOS to the stupid bird. So she's verbally telling me what she's seeing and I'm navigating on that. "There's the cell tower", turn "You're near the filtration plant", turn ... actually effective navigation as long as I stayed at 90m height ... explained the controls to her and let her move it around, but she wasn't comfortable with that. So I took over and she verbally navigated me back to where I could see the bird. At that point she was feeling unsettled like a bad car ride. Landed the bird and waited for her son to show up.

He misunderstood where to go, so during this wait I tried a few FPV approaches and landings. The approach is fine but the final metre or so to the ground is hard to judge so just hovered and then pulled the down lever until the earth rose up and hit the bird. Shut rotors. Takeoffs are painless and easy. Spotter tells me that she is bored to tears with this.

SO's son arrives. Change the battery, select S mode. Full blast take off. But, he didn't get the benefit of that due to the menus all over the screen. Again. Arghhhh. Cleared those. Managed to keep the bird VLOS this time. He loved it. Hovered and explained the controls to him (and switched to P mode) and let him buzz around. Of course he quickly went out of VLOS (for me) but could describe where he was, so no big deal. Another round of verbal navigation and don't fly over the freeway and so on.

He attempted a FPV approach but was still rough so I had him take off the goggles to land the bird.

Anyway, the Goggles with the P4P is not a practical thing unless you're working with a spotter. Too easy to fly out of VLOS but for the person flying and using the goggles it's quite easy. Need to spend some time using the menus in the goggles while flying. Some other day. Spotters are not easy to come by - never mind keep interested while you get your flying rocks off.

Will get the allegedly perfectly repaired (new SERNO again...) MP back this Friday. Should be a better experience with that.

Another note. I need a haircut. You cannot wear these things with long thick hair in the back. Tend to slip all the time.
EDIT: Got the hair cut. Much better - doesn't slip.

Another note. My SO confirms that I looked like a total nerd goofa$s wearing these. (I look like a nerd goofa$s normally, so this just completed the circle).

Another note. Bring mosquito repellent stupid.

Another note. Close the car doors lest it fill with mosquitos while flying.
Man, I don't want to get a haircut...the sacrifices we have to make! Very humorous...sounds like me and the wife, er...SO.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I flew Sunday with a P3P that has an HDMI output module and there are issues with it as well. My tablet only showed a grayscale image without control data when the goggles were active. When the goggles were unhooked the tablet image would come back. Using an Nvidia tablet and going to try to mirror to the goggles from the tablet hdmi next time to see if it is better.

Edited P4p to P3P

Last edited:
Not really much info found on using the DJI Goggles with the P4P Plus.
Bought them... Useless for touch pad control of the P4P Plus. Only good
as HDMI Viewer.
Returned them.. :(

The only thing the DJI goggles are good for is the Mavic. DJI claims it's works with the P4P but it only works with the monitor disconnected or the HDMI port which it doesn't come with. I really wouldn't call that working with the P4P

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4