First p3p flight - not..

Reaction score
I received my p3p today (it took a week to go from AZ to VA via FedEx ground). I'm coming from a p2v+.

1/ Read all the instructions, watched several videos.
2/ Charged the battery and the controller
3/ Upgraded the firmware
4/ Installed the props
5/ Downloaded the apps, logged in, registered my bird
5/ Took her outside.. green lights, 10 sats, calibrated the compass, ready to go..

[Drum roll]

Can't take off - in a no fly zone.

I click on the map, and there it is, according to the DJI pilot app I'm in the Washington D.C. FRZ. I live in Vienna, VA, and my house according to freemaptools.com is 12.086 nautical miles from DCA, the center of the FRZ. The FRZ is supposed to be 10 nautical miles. Even if I select the coordinates of the northwest corner of DCA as the center, I'm 11.5 nautical miles away. I'm close, but should be legal to fly.

On the status screen of the p3 it says "approaching no fly zone", and has a green light - ready to fly. But on the center of the screen (the camera view) is says no fly zone, and when I try to start the motors, it refuses.

Anyone have any thoughts here? Is the FRZ now actually 12 miles? Is the map DJI is using inaccurate? While I personally believe the FRZ around DC is way too big, I am and will comply with the law. But I'm outside of the FRZ according to other maps. So, how do I override? I'm the pilot, I take responsibility for my actions.

Sigh. Annoyed,
A

Last edited:
It's so silly. When DC gets nuked, it'll come on a rocket from N. Korea, not mounted on P3

Darn, that sucks. I would hate to not be able to buzz around trolling the neighborhood kids.

It's so silly. When DC gets nuked, it'll come on a rocket from N. Korea, not mounted on P3

Kim is better with the close range stuff. Like AA on cabinet members.

The nuke won't be coming from NK.

Kim is better with the close range stuff. Like AA on cabinet members.

The nuke won't be coming from NK.

Well, terrorists can walk up to the white house gate with a rocket launcher, but at least the president is safe from Andrew's flying camera lol.

Agreed and I'm not agreeing with the size of the no fly zone. However, I suspect there are measures in place to have increased airspace monitoring in The area. They can't have a bunch of drones showing up otherwise they would not have time to react to that missile.

Well, terrorists can walk up to the white house gate with a rocket launcher, but at least the president is safe from Andrew's flying camera lol.

So, we got that going for us, which is nice. :D

The ironic part is he likes the cameras. Go figure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.