First flight: a few questions

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I had my first Phantom flight today in my new P2V+. I am pretty excited. It has been 4 weeks since I was given the Phantom and I wanted to make sure I was ready. Everything went quite well (it was awesome!!) but it generated a bunch of questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

1. I have the new version of the remote controller with the knurled knob in the upper left to control the up/down tilt of the gimbal. During flight when I rotated to turn the camera downwards, it immediately came back up to level when I let go of the knob. Is this normal? If not, what am I doing wrong. If it is normal, then how do I fly with a small downward tilt of the camera?

2. The up/down gimbal control on the DJI Vision App does NOT seem to do anything? Is this because I have the control on the remote controller?

3. Can you recommend some good camera settings to start out? I am not very familiar with video photography so wonder what these settings, formats, etc should typically be set at for recreational and amateur work.?

3a. Is iMovie a reasonable software to use for simple video editing? Or?

4. Should I be recalibrating the compass after each battery change?

5. There seem to be 2 different movement techniques being shown for compass calibration. One involves rotating the phantom hand over hand. The other involve simply holding the phantom horizontally and turning your whole body 360 degrees. then holding the phantom pointing downward and again turning your body around. Are these both equally acceptable?

Thanks

Larry

During flight when I rotated to turn the camera downwards, it immediately came back up to level when I let go of the knob
Try recalibrating your remote controller -- exactly like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can you recommend some good camera settings to start out?
Try these settings:

For photos:

For video:

Should I be recalibrating the compass after each battery change?
Nope -- just normally when you fly in new locations. See the following thread for more information:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32829

There seem to be 2 different movement techniques being shown for compass calibration. One involves rotating the phantom hand over hand. The other involve simply holding the phantom horizontally and turning your whole body 360 degrees.
Most people probably do the first. But, both will work.

Try recalibrating your remote controller -- exactly like this:

Try these settings:

For photos:

For video:

Nope -- just normally when you fly in new locations. See the following thread for more information:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32829

Most people probably do the first. But, both will work.

Do not see any info after your "try re calibrating exactly like this".

Also nothing after video settings

Is there a post suggesting good settings for these?

It looks like your web browser is not able to display the embedded videos. Here are the links:

Code:
https://youtu.be/I8Z37Wl0uFg
https://youtu.be/iB_-IVnQl_g
https://vimeo.com/104192378

Thanks,

Any idea why the gimbal control on the vision app would not work? Is this a setup issue too, or because I have the new controller?

L

Thanks,

Any idea why the gimbal control on the vision app would not work? Is this a setup issue too, or because I have the new controller?

It works but you need to calibrate it so that it will stay when you let go of the slider.

I'd agree with everything above (and it was a great reply) except the camera settings. I've tried them and think auto is much better. I tried 100 iso on a sunny day and the video did not look as good to me. I'd recommend only changing the iso on an as needed bases.

And so it begins.
"I had my first Phantom flight today . Everything went quite well (it was awesome!!) but it generated a bunch of questions."
Enjoy it!

Speaking of camera settings, ... is there a way to correct for the fisheye lens effect? I do not own photoshop and use a Mac. I don't think iMovie does this. Should I set the camera to "narrow"?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers