First Drone- P3S or P3A/P?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am looking to purchase my first drone, a Phantom 3 in particular, and I'm not sure what would be the best value right now. I am pretty familiar with the characteristics of and differences between the different models.

Here is what I'm considering:
P3S ($400, Black Friday sale)- Buy Phantom 3 Standard | DJI Store
P3A ($580) Normally, I would be very skeptical of anything on eBay, but this is an authorized DJI dealer, so I'm assuming I'd be safe- Dji Phantom 3 Advanced Quadcopter Drone With 2.7k Hd Video Camera CP.PT.000160 | eBay
And, I found a very good price on a refurbished P3P ($600)- DJI Phantom 3 Professional with 4K Video (DJI Refurbished Unit)

Is it worth the price increase to get an Advanced or Pro over the Standard? The refurbished aspect of the Pro doesn't bother me, and while the only 4k display I currently have is my TV, it's only $20 more than an Advanced, so if I go that route, why not get the best camera?

All help is appreciated!

Hey guys. I am looking to purchase my first drone, a Phantom 3 in particular, and I'm not sure what would be the best value right now. I am pretty familiar with the characteristics of and differences between the different models.

Here is what I'm considering:
P3S ($400, Black Friday sale)- Buy Phantom 3 Standard | DJI Store
P3A ($580) Normally, I would be very skeptical of anything on eBay, but this is an authorized DJI dealer, so I'm assuming I'd be safe- Dji Phantom 3 Advanced Quadcopter Drone With 2.7k Hd Video Camera CP.PT.000160 | eBay
And, I found a very good price on a refurbished P3P ($600)- DJI Phantom 3 Professional with 4K Video (DJI Refurbished Unit)

Is it worth the price increase to get an Advanced or Pro over the Standard? The refurbished aspect of the Pro doesn't bother me, and while the only 4k display I currently have is my TV, it's only $20 more than an Advanced, so if I go that route, why not get the best camera?

All help is appreciated!
I'd go for the new P3A, unless 4K UHD is important to you.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Depends on your budget and what you intend to do with the Phantom. I recently purchased a P3A and have double the cost of the bird into the whole thing, including extra batteries, new iPad Mini 2, batteries, sd cards/readers, etc. If you want to explore photography or videos as a hobby or profession then you may consider the Pro; however, the 2.7k video is crisp. I didn't think I would ever need the 4k camera so I chose not to pay the extra $$$. In your case the refurbished unit is only $20 extra. I like the better range of the P3A over the Standard. Once you gain experience flying you will want to branch out with range. Keep in mind the costs... it adds up quick! I recommend a gimbal guard- it saved my a$$. Maybe an extra battery (I have two extra and don't regret it). You will enjoy any of the three. Good luck!

Avoid the standard. Fpv over Wifi was so last decade. The lightbridge system is still current and is rock solid. I've never had an fpv drop out.

If I could only have one, I'd get the P3A. You don't have to mess with Wi-Fi, the range is better, and it comes with a better remote controller that is able to hold a tablet right out of the box.

I agree with everyone else in regards to getting a P3A. I own a both a P3 4K and P3A. The range/video transmission on the P3A blows the P3 4K out of the water.

Thank you all very much for your advice! It was great having some input from more experienced hobbyists. I decided to go with the Pro. Order is placed and it's on its way.

Reactions: cr6
Congrats! Wise move going with the Pro version. I couldn't be happier with mine, although I am looking forward to my P4Pro+ due to arrive soon.
Enjoy!

S5 tap'n

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic