First attempt

Reaction score
I wrote on how I got a Phantom 3 standard from Ebay and just now have started to get it ready and everything calibrated and charged up for a first attempt with a hobby grade drone.

Well it didn't go to well.

I purchased this drone from an ebay seller who failed to mention it had been in storage a long time and the box it came in, showed that. They didn't tell me this until after I payed. A month later I got it out of the box and while it is brand new, the battery is totally shot, not even one LED lights up even when on charge. I pushed the button once then hold for two seconds and nothing....zero....it's dead. I even got a brand new Galaxy Tab A tablet and downloaded DJI GO....but can't really do anything with a shot battery. It made me wonder about the controllers battery and while it did light up when on the charger..... I don't think it will hold a charge, because it had sat as long as the other battery. This makes me think the controller is useless as well, because I don't want to attempt flight with a junk battery that will lose its charge quickly.

In frustration I put it all back in the box and in the closet, wondering what to do. I can't return it, been too long, can't fly it....I could get another battery, but the controller isn't safe I don't think.... I could sell it and take a loss.... Just don't know what to do, but I have a brand new, dead Phantom 3 standard on my hands. Never again will I buy stuff like this from EBAY....Should of just payed the 600 at Walmart last year and got it there.

Any advice appreciated on my options....Should I sell it? or get a battery? Or sit it on the shelf to remind me to be careful when buying stuff on EBAY?..... Thank you.

Batteries go into a sleep mode. I can’t remember how to get it out of that mode, so you will have to do the search. Charge the remote and see if it will take a charge. If it does, it should be good.

Reactions: Harleydude
I wrote on how I got a Phantom 3 standard from Ebay and just now have started to get it ready and everything calibrated and charged up for a first attempt with a hobby grade drone.

Well it didn't go to well.

I purchased this drone from an ebay seller who failed to mention it had been in storage a long time and the box it came in, showed that. They didn't tell me this until after I payed. A month later I got it out of the box and while it is brand new, the battery is totally shot, not even one LED lights up even when on charge. I pushed the button once then hold for two seconds and nothing....zero....it's dead. I even got a brand new Galaxy Tab A tablet and downloaded DJI GO....but can't really do anything with a shot battery. It made me wonder about the controllers battery and while it did light up when on the charger..... I don't think it will hold a charge, because it had sat as long as the other battery. This makes me think the controller is useless as well, because I don't want to attempt flight with a junk battery that will lose its charge quickly.

In frustration I put it all back in the box and in the closet, wondering what to do. I can't return it, been too long, can't fly it....I could get another battery, but the controller isn't safe I don't think.... I could sell it and take a loss.... Just don't know what to do, but I have a brand new, dead Phantom 3 standard on my hands. Never again will I buy stuff like this from EBAY....Should of just payed the 600 at Walmart last year and got it there.

Any advice appreciated on my options....Should I sell it? or get a battery? Or sit it on the shelf to remind me to be careful when buying stuff on EBAY?..... Thank you.
I had a battery like that once. It was purchased on clearance at Target. I had to dig pretty deep, but I did find some possible solutions. Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark the pages as none of them worked so I returned the battery.

A new DJI battery can be had ranging anywhere from $75 - $119. I've never paid full pop. There are legitimate vendors who discount and it's genuine stuff.

As to the controller, give it a full charge then turn it on a leave it on. See how long it lasts. It may be OK. Do that before before you invest in another battery. For what it's worth, I just saw a guy selling a lightly used battery for $80. Sift through the classifieds here.

Keep us in the loop.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
To get the battery out of hibernation mode, turn the pack on, leave it connected to the charger, and after a couple hours (or even more) it will spring back to life.

Reactions: Harleydude
Hi leftthandflyer,
Sorry but how can you turn the pack "ON" when it has hibernated, there are no LED's to indicate that it is ON or OFF, Is it the case that you only need to connect the charging cable and then wait a couple of hours...?
I have only ever seen the RC battery hibernate, and I just left it connected all afternoon, when I checked it in the evening it had charged.
Waylander

The procedure for bringing a battery out of hibernation is as follows:
Press once and then a 2nd time and hold as normal. Ignore the lack of lights. Let sit for 5 minutes (do not touch the power button again or youll have to wait awhile and restart)
After 5 minutes connect the charger and do NOT touch the power button.
Let it sit on charge (could take hours)
You must use the factory Dji charger, no other charger will bring it out of hibernation.
Eventually it will come back to life.
Be careful with the first few flights to ensure the battery is working normally.

Good post 3rdof5.........And keep one eye on the flight battery monitor on the Dji Go App during a few flights !..and its best to keep the drone close and over good ground...IF you should see a rapid change in the cells voltages........land it asap......Be careful !

Batterys and Props are "2" very important items for a safe flight......... out and back !

Reactions: 3rdof5
The procedure for bringing a battery out of hibernation is as follows:
Press once and then a 2nd time and hold as normal. Ignore the lack of lights. Let sit for 5 minutes (do not touch the power button again or youll have to wait awhile and restart)
After 5 minutes connect the charger and do NOT touch the power button.
Let it sit on charge (could take hours)
You must use the factory Dji charger, no other charger will bring it out of hibernation.
Eventually it will come back to life.
Be careful with the first few flights to ensure the battery is working normally.

I turned it on an off multiple times, had it on the charger for half an hour, so I have no idea if this thing is switched on or off. I get no sort of led indication at all....Charger doesn't get warm....nothing.

I guess I will throw it on the charger and let it sit for hours and see if any lights show.

I'm well versed in LI-PO batteries and know that letting one go dead dry will kill it. With the seller saying it had been in storage and by the looks of the tore up box that was taped shut and while the drone is indeed sealed new, it is obvious it had sit for a very very long time. Oh well....I will put the charger on it and see if anything happens, but I will never be confident enough to fly over anything but fluffy fields and close by.

Someone P/Med me about the good EBAY return policy....I may try to see if it can be returned, but it's been a month since I got it.......I have not been able to get time until a few days ago.....to mess with it. Worst that can happen is they say no.

Thanks.

If the controller charges and holds charge normally, then you are halfway there. Flight batteries aren't cheap, but neither is this hobby...
If you can find someone nearby with a compatible battery to check the drone with then try that. Even buy a battery from a seller. Tossing the whole thing out or into a closet just because the battery won't work is not going to get you into the air. Once you get bit by the Phantom bug seeing the areas from up on high, you'll not regret the effort.

I turned it on an off multiple times, had it on the charger for half an hour, so I have no idea if this thing is switched on or off. I get no sort of led indication at all....Charger doesn't get warm....nothing.

I guess I will throw it on the charger and let it sit for hours and see if any lights show.

I'm well versed in LI-PO batteries and know that letting one go dead dry will kill it. With the seller saying it had been in storage and by the looks of the tore up box that was taped shut and while the drone is indeed sealed new, it is obvious it had sit for a very very long time. Oh well....I will put the charger on it and see if anything happens, but I will never be confident enough to fly over anything but fluffy fields and close by.

Someone P/Med me about the good EBAY return policy....I may try to see if it can be returned, but it's been a month since I got it.......I have not been able to get time until a few days ago.....to mess with it. Worst that can happen is they say no.

Thanks.
If you follow the steps I mention you will definitely need to leave it on charge undisturbed (do not press the power button for at least 6hrs) to know for sure if its fried or just needed more time. A half an hour is not long enough. Do the steps and leave it over night. See what it says in the morning.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Pluged in all night and nothing....charger isn't even warm. I wonder if the charger works.

I tried to return through EBAY, but seller denied and closed the request.

Well I guess I'll get another battery and take another chance.

Can't hurt now.

Pluged in all night and nothing....charger isn't even warm. I wonder if the charger works.

Can't hurt now.
Ya its likely toast after sitting that long.

Can't hurt now.
Does the charger charge the controller?

Ya its likely toast after sitting that long.

I think it is. I wouldnt be comfortable with it anyways....Too dangerous to go up with a battery I have no idea if it will hold charge....I don't want to take a chance and have drone drop on someones car or roof. I have a battery on the way.....89 bucks, but guaranteed good, new and OEM . I'll test it the same day I get it, just like I should of done with the drone when I first got it. Lesson learned.

I don't see where the flight battery charger hooks up to the controller...I use the USB cable into my computer to charge the controller. The controller IS holding charge so far.

On the right side of your controller there is a round plug, remove the plug and insert the AC adapter on your DJI charger.

DJI P3.png

EDIT to Add:

A P3 Standard will charge with a usb cable may take up to 3- 4 hours to charge.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic