First attempt at off the shelf lens filter failed. 30.5mm threads?

ctp

Reaction score
I was playing around last week with options for using regular commercial photography filters.

After measuring with my digital micrometer my best guess was the threads are 30mm on the P3 camera so I ordered a step down ring kit (30-37mm) and some cheap 37mm filters to test for fit and performance. I don't want the weight of size of 37mm, but need the extra distance to clear the front of the lens and be able to reach the threads.

First attempt found the 30mm ring will go on a couple of turns and locks up hard, so that's a fail and I've gone back and ordered a 30.5mm ring. I really was not happy with the additional weight of just the ring, so really not an optimal solution.

What we really, really need is just an aluminium 30.5 extension tube, internal threads, about 7mm in length, which would then allow us to use any standard 30.5mm lens filter quickly and easily. If anyone has a recommendation, I will order, test, and share results.

I have ordered some 30.5mm filters to see if I can Macgyver together something that works.

Reactions: NoOne
What sucks is its not a standardized thread that seems to fit any camera filters.

IN a pinch after breaking the stock uv filter I wanted to try a standard 29.5 uv filter. NOPE that didnt work. so I tried to take the glass out and put it in under the lens cap thingy nope way to small being the glass was about 3mm to small. So i had to get a 33mm uv filter and took the glass out of it. That was just right and was a perfect 29.5mm wide and dropped right in. Tho its 2 times as think as the original glass was so the cap will not screw back on all the way now. BUT it works and I have a shade hood on it that goes over the whole end of the camera and should keep it from every working its self off even tho its not threaded on very far and only takes about 1 full turn to come off.

Just curious if there were any developments on this topic? I just ordered a 30mm ND to play around see what I could come up with before searching and finding this. Wrong order haha

There are multiple vendors making filters for the P3:
Ragecams as mentioned above, Polar Pro, Snake River Prototyping and phantomfilters.com that I know of.
The only reason I would see to Jerry-rig something is if you are looking for something other than ND or CP filters.
If money is an issue, phantomfilters.com are a great value since they are just gel filters which go inside the stock UV filter. The others are either slip-on or replace the stock UV filter.

Just curious if there were any developments on this topic? I just ordered a 30mm ND to play around see what I could come up with before searching and finding this. Wrong order haha

Sorry I kind of abandoned this topic. Further experimentation showed that they are 30mm threads, but not the same TPI (threads per inch) as standard camera filters. Would have been nice if DJI had used a standard thread and arrangement, or if someone would make a barrel adapter that would allow us to use off the shelf standard camera filters, rather than all of these companies making custom filters with custom prices :)

The Phantom filter has an unusually long reach to the threads.
I had a 30mm filter from am old camcorder, when inverted the threads are the same but it will only reach the very first part and won't secure. The removed P3 filter will screw smoothly onto the regular 30mm filter as if you were stacking them.

I have no affiliation with phantomfilters, but if you can get "off-the-shelf" fitters cheaper than phantomfilters.com, then the "off-the-shelf" filters probably aren't worth getting. I think there are enough vendors with enough of a price range to not worry about it. BTW, I have at least one filter from all four vendors I mentioned (RC, PP, SRP, pf) and my only issue is that some of those vendors I mentioned (PP, pf) sell sets of filters only instead of individual filters. It's not huge with phantomfilters.com because they are so inexpensive but it's more of an issue when you get a small set from say PP and then later want an additional filter (for example, higher ND) but don't want to re-buy the filters you already have.
I also would be uncomfortable putting too much added mass on the camera/gimbal. The SRP filters are about the max weight I'm comfortable with. Putting an adapter with a larger "off-the-shelf" filter seems like too much weight to me (but that is just me). This is a highly specialized lightweight aerial camera after all. Bearing that in mind, I have been pleasantly surprised by how many companies are making filters for it.

Reactions: PhantomFilters
Thanks for all the responses

I'm aware of some of the current options but sometimes these types of experiments pay off so it doesn't hurt to try a few cheap options IMO.

I am also working to get a broken UV filter from a flier to see about fitting in a filter from something like @J.James mentioned out of a 33mm filter

I have Rosco filters and will cut some down some of the ND's to make a set. No offense to phantom filters but I saw the demo video and it seemed like there was vignetting or graduated filter on them. The video looked a little soft for my taste. I am not sure of the shutter speed used so that could play a role in the softness too. Again, not knocking them just think I will go a different route.

I like the SRP ND/CP, might get the 16 when comes out. We get a lot of bright days here in Phoenix

The video looked a little soft for my taste. I am not sure of the shutter speed used so that could play a role in the softness too. Again, not knocking them just think I will go a different route.

MoreGone, the video I think you are talking about was filmed at -2 sharpness which should be the reason for the "soft" look.

Someone sent me this video, made with the filters.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also, you might be interested in the Polarizer-filter (POL-filter) I'm offering. I personally like that filter a lot, especially used in conjunction with an ND-filter.

Also, you can check out the review here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PS: Noticed you're in Phoenix. I'm shipping from Scottsdale, AZ for US-orders :) (For European/World customers, I'm shipping from Denmark)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan