P3 Firmware firmware upgrade issues

Reaction score
need help!!I have tried updating the firmware on my Phantom 3 pro several times unsuccessfully and keep getting failure code 3 showing up on SD card.

need help!!I have tried updating the firmware on my Phantom 3 pro several times unsuccessfully and keep getting failure code 3 showing up on SD card.
Welcome to the forum.

Is your SD card set to locked?

Not sure. How do you lock or unlock SD card?
Actually, disregard my last post. I forgot for a moment it was a microSD card which does not have a mechanical lock switch. Sorry for the false alarm. I’m still thinking that error 3 is card related, so maybe a simple format of the card will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Recoveryone
Try reformat the sd card and reinstall firmware on it... and make sure your holding your mouth open the right way. ..hahaha
That worked for me.
Goodluck.

Be SURE to have a fan pointed at the gimbal while doing the update. P3P ‘s are famous for getting hot during the update. Does the gimbal light on the front of the gimbal alternate red and green while it tries to update?

When attempting the update, does the front gimbal light flash from green to red and make the beep-beep- beep- beep tone.The gimbal light alternates red and green throughout the update process and the 4 beep tones do also. When finished the gimbal light should stay green and the tone will be 3 beeps.
Also you have to be sure that you download the firmware version to the root directory of the sad card on your computer.

When you try firmware upgrade it writes a text log file on the sd card, either sucess or fail and usually for what reason if no reason or no text file is when i reformat the sd card.

The only thing on the sd card should be the the firmware file.
Not sure if thats a must but worked for me after failed upgrades

I ran a lead from pc direct to camera and accessed it as it were a removeable hard drive. So no need to remove sd card from camera.
The link below was given to me when i had problems and helped alot.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Hallo , l completed my P3P upgrade last night it has taken nearly a month. First of all l had th message about upgrading & found that th big red writing meant l had to up grade, there was no access to operate th drone or camera. I had a go at upgrading through th Go app &lost connection with drone, bricked is how it looked. I got in touch with drone workshop in Manchester & they were ambivalent about prospects. Do l searched eBay for another P3P to clone th software from. I was lucky & bought a nice bird fairly local, but could not find any file to clone. Drone Doctor in Brighton sent me a link to phantom help where l found the right file but it only came in zip format. (Why Zip?) My 8 year old pc would not support an unzip program, so l sent my pc to local pc shop (Herne Bay) they offered 2 day turn round & a bit coaching with th new fangled O/S and in the meantime l copied th file to my drone screen & doen loaded an Android unzip which gave me th .bin file. Pc now back on the desk formatted th SD card. Copied th bin file to it & followed th instructions on th a piece of A4 that was tucked in with newly bought P3P! Lucky or what? It appears to be th same instructions referred to in a post down th page. Oh yes, l had my left hip replaced during this little software nightmare so lost 4 days concentration & thought about it all. 1 day was opiate bliss....... Now l have 2 P3Ps with latest firmware, good luck with your upgrade, Drone Doctor Brighton, UK is a really good egg. T

I wish someone would make the steps above simpler.

£100 gimbal board replacement or solder and learn to code via PC ??

Thanks DJI for your support after 'safe" firmware updates and your choice of chips that don't like to be left un attended/used for a while on the gimbal board - argghh

Last edited:

I wish someone would make the steps above simpler.

£100 gimbal board replacement or solder and learn to code via PC ??

EDIT - now successfully Flashed P3Pro gimbal board with the help of 'Mark the Droner" and following SunsetCatcher's instructions: No image transmission signal - P3P

Last edited:
I have a phantom 3 pro and i need to go the previous firmware/software as i cant get much range on the drone now 400ft max then says disconnected

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.