Firmware upgrade is required? It already has been upgraded!

Reaction score
I updated my P3A firmware to 1.1.6 when it came out and then to 1.1.8 when it was released and I now get messages in the Pilot app saying "Firmware upgrade is required". I started getting this message right after updating to 1.1.8. Although the text file said "success" after the updates, I did the 1.1.8 update a second time thinking something was wrong but this time there were no beeps and the text file said it already had the latest firmware (which of course it did). One more thing that bothers me - my updates only took like 1 minute, not 25 like the documentation says. I can fly the quad with no problems but this message bothers me. Is anybody else experiencing this message? Also, are anybody else's upgrades taking 1-2 minutes rather than the 25 mentioned in the PDF file???

When i updated mine twice (1.1.6 then 1.1.8) the quad took around10 mins and the tx about 2 mins. My app now looks like this.
kn3mu.png

When i updated mine twice (1.1.6 then 1.1.8) the quad took around10 mins and the tx about 2 mins. My app now looks like this.
kn3mu.png
Mine looks like that as well before flying. After I've flown I get the message to upgrade my firmware. I will pay more attention to just when this message shows up.

I'm getting the same message. I also emailed dealer and DJI about it. I'm wondering if this is a P3A bug.

Android or IOS?
Did you do both Craft and controller?
I use android, Galaxy note 4. I download the DJI pilot app from the DJI site (if you see "DIRECTOR" on the main screen means its correct) and NOT from the play store.
I then did the firm upgrade on the craft and on the controller (leave card with firmware in camera slot, plug micro usb and plug into controller. Turn on controller and wait till the blue led turns green).

iOS and yes, I upgrade both the aircraft and controller. The upgrade is simple and worked fine with 1.1.6. The 1.1.8 firmware is the version that says I need to upgrade. I'm glad the aircraft still flies and doesn't seem to affect anything but the message doesn't instill confidence.

I sent a message to DJI. I should hear something in a couple weeks :)

I have the same issue exactly. Doesn't seem to impact anything except I can't livestream because the app thinks I need to upgrade the firmware.

Try this next time. Power up the app, bird and wait to power up the rc last. Seems when I do it in that order I get the overall status showing no upgrade required message. I still have to set my RTH height from 0 to 60m though using the iOS app every time.

Hey, that worked! But, it goes against the start up order on page 46 of the manual. Regardless, I'll start the RC last from now on.

Android or IOS?
Did you do both Craft and controller?
I use android, Galaxy note 4. I download the DJI pilot app from the DJI site (if you see "DIRECTOR" on the main screen means its correct) and NOT from the play store.
I then did the firm upgrade on the craft and on the controller (leave card with firmware in camera slot, plug micro usb and plug into controller. Turn on controller and wait till the blue led turns green).

Brian ....... did you upgrade the RC as stated above? That's what it took for mine to stick ..... Also if your saying you will power up the Phantom and then the RC before every flight .....that's definitely a nono ......m

Yes, I followed the simple upgrade instructions exactly. As I said, BOTH upgrades (1.1.6 and 1.1.8) worked and the text files showed "success" (both aircraft and RC). If I follow the start up instruction sequence in the DJI manual, I get the error message saying "firmware upgrade is required". If I power up the RC last, I don't get the error message and it shows "Firmware version is the latest". I haven't flown yet after starting the RC last. But, that startup sequence results in no error. I'm pretty sure there is a bug in the 1.1.8 firmware and DJI will address it as some point. Maybe.

Last edited:
I bought yesterday my P3. Did I need to upgrade the firmware or I can use it now how it is? What will happend if I don't upgrade for a couple of months?

Maybe is a litlle bit silly question, but I bought yesterday my P3. Did I need to upgrade the firmware or I can use it now how it is? What will happend if I don't upgrade for a couple of months?

You will not be able to fly it with an iOS device without upgrading the firmware.

Even if you use android I would defiantly upgrade it, the firmware removes current know bugs.

That means that every time when the new firmware comes it will be best solution to upgrade him? Ok, thank you! :)

Yes.

The only caution I would add is that DJI have on the phantom 2 V+ did some updates that were not perfect out of the gate and had to be redone, re-released after a day or so.

I've the same err msg with iOS DJI GO 2.0.1 and firmware 1.3.20. Try this sequence:
1. Boot up your display but do not launch DJI GO yet.
2. Connect display device to controller.
3. Power on controller.
4. Power on craft.
5. Wait till craft finished booting, then launch DJI GO.
Then you may not see the 'aircraft reqd update' error msg.
If it works for you, it just a workaround. The real fix is to clear the old firmware log cache within the drone. DJI does not provide a utility to do this. Your mobile reads the dated old log and tells you the drone needs to be upgraded.
DJI doesn't give a hoot about their bugs. If the tech doesn't know the answer or admit it is a bug, you'll be told to send in your drone for repair.

Yes, I followed the simple upgrade instructions exactly. As I said, BOTH upgrades (1.1.6 and 1.1.8) worked and the text files showed "success" (both aircraft and RC). If I follow the start up instruction sequence in the DJI manual, I get the error message saying "firmware upgrade is required". If I power up the RC last, I don't get the error message and it shows "Firmware version is the latest". I haven't flown yet after starting the RC last. But, that startup sequence results in no error. I'm pretty sure there is a bug in the 1.1.8 firmware and DJI will address it as some point. Maybe.

I have this same problem. even today I updated Sept 7th firmware and yep....still says Firmware upgrade is required??? I check ABOUT and it says both updates are installed....very annoying. I haven't tried to power up controller last as DJI says thats not cool?? help!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers