Firmware upgrade DJI Phantom 3 pro.

Reaction score
Hello there.
I’ve recently been familiarising myself with the DJI Go app for the above drone and it tells me that I need to upgrade the firmware. The DJI website tells me that the latest update is V1.11.20. Is this correct as I’m afraid that the drone won’t work properly if I install the new firmware.
I’m still at that ‘scared’ stage after spending £400 and just want things to be right so that I can enjoy the full potential of the machine.
Some re -assurance would be greatly appreciated. I know that this post will probably raise a wry smile, as I imagine that there are some very experienced drone pilots out there who understand my concerns.
Anyway, thanks for reading my post.

You do not need to update FW unless you want to.

Yes the latest FW is 1.11.20 .... unless you suffer ESC problem - then there is a 'fix it' FW 1.11.30 ... which DJI will give you but only if necessary.

Relax ... many people do not update and they fly perfectly fine.

Yes the latest FW is 1.11.20 .... unless you suffer ESC problem - then there is a 'fix it' FW 1.11.30 ... which DJI will give you but only if necessary.

Thanks for a swift reply. I’ll keep flying and getting used to how things work and if all is well, maybe I’ll skip the upgrade for now. Everything works fine so far. Many thanks!

Yes I now update , p3 and p4,all done with the app and OTG cable adapter,,works well for me,,yes updates are optional but the notifications get annoying,,,I never used to but after ignoring this prompt so long after driving to fly I click blue go fly and hello locked craft untill I did firmware update,,had no choice,dji forced this along me,I could work around locked craft just to fly but became headache at every start up,,,it's very rare now to have this happen which is good ,,,why they target my drone I got no idea

Yes I now update , p3 and p4,all done with the app and OTG cable adapter,,works well for me,,yes updates are optional but the notifications get annoying,,,I never used to but after ignoring this prompt so long after driving to fly I click blue go fly and hello locked craft untill I did firmware update,,had no choice,dji forced this along me,I could work around locked craft just to fly but became headache at every start up,,,it's very rare now to have this happen which is good ,,,why they target my drone I got no idea
Thanks, that’s great advice. I’ll update if I need to but at this stage, if all systems work fine, I’ll leave it for now. Cheers!

Thanks, that’s great advice. I’ll update if I need to but at this stage, if all systems work fine, I’ll leave it for now. Cheers!
I did that update and it messed my controller up. Everything worked fine before, I had to buy new controller. Good luck. I say if it works don't update.

Reactions: Phill2
I did that update and it messed my controller up. Everything worked fine before, I had to buy new controller. Good luck. I say if it works don't update.
Somebody else said the same thing. After their update, things never worked the same again. I may fix helicopters for real, but I’ll let the avionics guys deal with software/digital systems like AFCS (aircraft flight control systems). Thanks again.

If or when you do an update on a P3P or a P3A, aim a small fan at the camera gimbal while doing the update. They can get a bit too warm and that is usually when the damage gets done. I have updated about a dozen of them, and not one issue has happened to any of them.
This forum is the perfect place for expert advice on every topic that has to with drones.
Have a question, do research on past posts or just ask.
I guarantee you will find the answers you are looking for!
Have fun and fly safe.

Reactions: Capt KO
I have a Laptop cooling base I use if I power up on the bench ... it runs of USB power ... which I have a DJI P3 battery adaptor that provides USB output ...

I just stand the P3P on the base ...

I've had my P3P for 3 or 4 years and I have only updated once and that was just a few weeks after I got it. The way I see it "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol

Still flying mine with firmware version 1.8.80 (2016-04-07).
Both AC and RC had to be upgraded because of "Improved encryption to enhance security during transmission".
Meaning: If your firmware is older and you want to upgrade, you have to upgrade both your AC and RC otherwise they will NOT link !
Maybe that's what went wrong in post #6 from Mustangman.
Also download and read the release notes on the DJI website (link below):

Last edited:
Reactions: KachemakDiver
Still flying mine with firmware version 1.8.80 (2016-04-07).
Both AC and RC had to be upgraded because of "Improved encryption to enhance security during transmission".
Meaning: If your firmware is older and you want to upgrade, you have to upgrade both your AC and RC otherwise they will NOT link !
Maybe that's what went wrong in post #6 from Mustangman.
Also download and read the release notes on the DJI website (link below):
I had just successfully updated both RC and AC to the latest firmware. Had one flight then tried flying few days later and no video feed. Rebound controller and AC, could fly and control camera but no video. Replaced USB board and that didn't work. Bought a new controller from eBay and has worked fine since.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31