Firmware upgrade after Go4 update?

Reaction score
Go4 recently updated on my phone and it said they'd ironed out the bug that caused issues with firmware updates. Something about it stopping when upgrade was at 99%.
I've been holding off on the firmware upgrade but since the app updated the drone has been having some "moments". Most annoying is the "aircraft locked until you upgrade" that can still be solved with some switching off and back on. Other little annoyances have crept in though, such as the camera and gimbal suddenly having random spazzy fits, so I'm seeing no other option but to just take the firmware upgrade.
Question is though, has anyone here done it via the app since the update? Is it safe to do so? Dont really want to go through the whole hoo haa on the PC if it can be avoided.

Just as an observation, I really don't see the need for any type of firmware upgrade, unless they ( Meaning DJI) gives you ALL the pertinent details on that particular firmware release and allow the user to decide. Granted it is the users decision to do so in any event, It is rare that you find out anything about a firmware upgrade until you do so and go through all the hoops when it doesn't work afterwards, which IMO is ridiculous for the average user to comprehend what is going on. I personally am still flying my P3 on 2 year old firmware, with the latest app versions both GO and Litchi with no issues. This could very well change at some point, but for now my advice to anyone is DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE at any time, unless you cannot fly at all. End of Rant......sorry....I just see so many of these it really gets under my skin. Sure wish I could assist. Good luck getting your issue resolved......

I'm from the other side of the fence whereas I always update FW and the app. Sure, there are some folk out there who had a number of problems doing so and resent having certain restrictions in place, but in my case I've had no issues and have the freedom to fly in any number of unrestricted areas. The 'limp gimbal' issue went away following the last FW update so it was either an app or FW update that fixed it. Here is a link to @msinger tips on updating via the app.
HOW TO: Install Phantom 4 firmware

I'm from the other side of the fence whereas I always update FW and the app.
Completely respected from your point. There are several reasons that I do not and I won't go in to these in this scenario. I will just say that
from many years of experience with firmware, and not only from the consumer arena. Unless releases are fully tested and verified before
release ( In a real world scenario) you will always have issues in one form or another. DJI apparently does not test these in such an environment.
Works for some, but others are disasters. It is just a very risky proposition when it should not be. That's all I am saying about it. But again, both
sides have pro's and con's. Personally, I look at every detail when it is available before deciding and have yet to see anything close to a reasonable
explanation and description of the "changes" other than the bulk term "Bug Fixes". Let the owners know what those were and how you fixed them.

Reactions: tevek
Completely respected from your point. There are several reasons that I do not and I won't go in to these in this scenario. I will just say that
from many years of experience with firmware, and not only from the consumer arena. Unless releases are fully tested and verified before
release ( In a real world scenario) you will always have issues in one form or another. DJI apparently does not test these in such an environment.
Works for some, but others are disasters. It is just a very risky proposition when it should not be. That's all I am saying about it. But again, both
sides have pro's and con's. Personally, I look at every detail when it is available before deciding and have yet to see anything close to a reasonable
explanation and description of the "changes" other than the bulk term "Bug Fixes". Let the owners know what those were and how you fixed them.
DJI has real world users test. They have beta programs and beta testers who test patches and firmware before release to general public. I've participated in several with the p4p and the inspire 2. But even with beta testing there are issues that may not be realized until released to the general public.

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
Like computers, our flight systems are composed of layers, some hardware, some software. To blend these layers together is almost alchemy and sometimes a thin line between success and failure.
Updates can be a catylist for interconective failure, but also the avenue to connectivity, unfortunately it is unpredictable.
For me, completely up to date, no issues at all, but maybe I am an unique setup.
I have a long and painful background with computer systems, it is a house of cards, pull one, the whole house falls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20