Firmware Update?

Reaction score
I've read a few horror stories on here about updating the firmware. My question is should I be scared?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's easier to do on the P3S since the DJI GO app does everything for you. Mine updated just fine.

No. It is fine. Jut make sure you don't interupt it. Even if you do. The only thing that will happen is your drone will screech a loud sound until the update is Done. Only takes a few mins. Best to always have it updated.

I updated mine as soon as I opened it. It took about 10 mins and then I got the issue with the controller not being paired with the drone. Tried it about 5 times and it would not pair even though the app said it did successfully. Deleted the app and reinstalled and it gave me the option to redo the update. This time it did it in about a minute and was able to repair the connection then. But yea however long it takes just let it do its thing

I am of the opinion that if your drone is working, with no hick ups due to the firmware, then I don't download it. I have phones and computers, and have never had a device that had to have so many updates. I don't really see why dji couldn't come out with an app at the get go that would work on a phantom without constant updates and bug fixes. And, the possibility exists that a download would screw up the drone, as evidence shows on here. There are way too many questions concerning firmware, whether they work, or whats bad about them. My P3 flies fine, and I don't plan on upgrading it. I just want to fly it.

Bird flies great now and I don't want to do anything to mess that up but there again is there a fix in the new firmware that might save a problem from happening down the road.... Decisions, decisions.

I did the update as it noted it changes the power output in cold flying which is why I went ahead as I live in Chicago and its 20 degrees out now. In the electronics industry people make money off putting the same thing out over and over. So that means always bringing updates to keep the attention of customers. Profit wise it's better to put out a system with hidden bugs then to put out a completely working product.

We don't have that weather thing in south Texas.

I am of the opinion that if your drone is working, with no hick ups due to the firmware, then I don't download it. I have phones and computers, and have never had a device that had to have so many updates. I don't really see why dji couldn't come out with an app at the get go that would work on a phantom without constant updates and bug fixes. And, the possibility exists that a download would screw up the drone, as evidence shows on here. There are way too many questions concerning firmware, whether they work, or whats bad about them. My P3 flies fine, and I don't plan on upgrading it. I just want to fly it.
Most updates are not for the drone itself. I suspect that a lot of it has to do with the nfz.
Of course they don't have every small airport in America on the thing. Never the less every airport in the world. So hence updates. Best to do it as stated. Not from just flying. God forbids something bad to happen because of not having the update. Taking off in a area I thought was safe then boom. I could of course be totally wrong. But this is what I suspect.

Seems like every week. And I do not automatically do every update that comes out. I wait, check this site, and if my drone is flying with no problems, I just forget it. And as far as flying in a NFZ, is that worse than flying 2 mi away, out of site? IMO, it is not worse. I fly everyday in what could be deemed a NFZ. I have an airport 2.5 mi from me. But I've contacted people, police, city attorney, and they aren't interested in me and my toy drone, so I don't worry about that either. And I don't want to download something that could ground me, like Tony Cowan stated, it might be to add tiny airports onto the list of NFZ's that are active. I've looked at a map with every airport in the US plotted with a 5mi radius around it. If they make it so your phantom wont fly around any airport, I'm getting a different hobby.

I just opened my Phantom three days ago, and when I turned it on, it was making a loud "screeching" noise. It sounded like a fan or something in it going crazy. when I turned the app on it said to update so I did. Restarted the phantom and ran quietly. I only had one flight so far, but it seemed okay. Hoping to get the second flight today and try few more features. I was concerned as the when I was downloading the app, the reviews were horrible and people were saying they were grounded. I had to download the app regardless, but it worked

This site is an excellent place to find out things about your drone, but, and its a big but, you have to take things you see on here with a grain of salt. It doesn't take a license, or pilot training to write in and chime off about one thing or another.

Just updated. Everything went smooth, flies the same as before. All seems good.

It hasn't been below 55 during the day all winter, but we're right on the gulf and the wind is always coming from the southwest. It was 67 today. I really believe winter is on the way out, but I'm from Missouri, where it can dump snow a month from now.

Reactions: Providian623
It hasn't been below 55 during the day all winter, but we're right on the gulf and the wind is always coming from the southwest. It was 67 today. I really believe winter is on the way out, but I'm from Missouri, where it can dump snow a month from now.

I'm just south of St. Louis on the Illinois side of the river, so I know exactly what you're talking about. It got to 40 today, almost "sun stroke" weather for sw Illinois, this time of year .............. LOL !

I was born in independence, mo. I've been through St Louis many times on the way to the east coast. I don't think people don't get it when I say if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. But you know I'm tellin the truth!

Reactions: Providian623
I was born in independence, mo. I've been through St Louis many times on the way to the east coast. I don't think people don't get it when I say if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. But you know I'm tellin the truth!

The home of Harry Truman & The Kansas City Chief's & Baseball Royals. I wholeheartedly agree with the wait 5 minutes statement! Now how about an I-70 World Series between the Royals and the Cardinals ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl