Field charging with the YXCo2 multi-charger

Reaction score
Hello, I could use some help with the math on determining if I can run a particular multi-charger made for three P4P batteries and the controller off of my car cig lighter jack and a 600 watt, heavy duty Bestek inverter. The photo attached shows the charger I use routinely in the house to charge my three batteries up after a mission. I need to take it on the road and want to run it off the inverter, but my car cig lighter jack says 150 watts maximum. I assume more draw than that and the car pops a fuse. The charger only says Output 17.5 volts/13.5 amps (branch output 17.5V/4.5A). I don't know how to tell how many watts the charger will be pulling from the cig lighter and would it make any difference if I charge just one or two batteries instead of three at a time as I do in the house? I think the Inverter is up to the task and can certainly handle one of the single chargers that comes with the P4P, but will the multi charger pull to much for the car to handle? Thanks and appreciate any suggestions.
Charger.jpg

If the charger is outputting full volts and amps thats a total of 236.25 watts. Which is already well above what the cigar lighter socket is rated for and since the invertor will draw more amps than 13.5 to acheive the (higher) 17.5 volts then it will definitely be a higher current draw than the cigar outlet can provide.

To clarify, watts are volts multplied by amps. 10 volts at 10 amps is 100 watts. 20 volts at 5 amps is also 100 watts. So its simple math. The cigar lighter can produce 12 to 14 volts at roughly 10 amps. If the invertor needs to draw more amps than that it will blow the fuse.

Reactions: michael.f8
Thanks 3rdof5. I get it. Sounds like if I truly want to charge more than one battery on the go, then I need to either make a different connection to the vehicle's power that is not limited to 150 watts, or buy a standalone gel cell or something that can power that inverter without taxing the vehicle system at all. What sized 12volt battery would I be looking at? Something short of a full car battery I hope? I have connected the inverted with clips to a truck battery before, but the car was not moving. We were just stationed at our flying zone and had no AC available. Thanks again.

Thanks 3rdof5. I get it. Sounds like if I truly want to charge more than one battery on the go, then I need to either make a different connection to the vehicle's power that is not limited to 150 watts, or buy a standalone gel cell or something that can power that inverter without taxing the vehicle system at all. What sized 12volt battery would I be looking at? Something short of a full car battery I hope? I have connected the inverted with clips to a truck battery before, but the car was not moving. We were just stationed at our flying zone and had no AC available. Well you can buy rechargeable power packs with glassmat type 12 volt batteries and many have built in inverters that could supply the correct wattage for your charger but at that wattage they wont be cheap (or easy to carry around) so really the easiest solution is just to clamp onto the vehicle battery as you mentioned and power your invertor that way.

Got it, thanks...Or perhaps just spring for two more batteries for the Phantom so I don't need to recharge on most any job.

That works :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj