Felony charges for shooting drone

Re-phrased: While he sits in a jail cell.......

Prbly the dollar amount of the damage. And weapons violation (Negligent discharge or similar).

AND if found guilty of a felony he can’t own firearms, vote...the list goes on...plus any potential employer would see a felony conviction on a background check.

Reactions: KentA and macoman
I live in OR & the first story I read about this said he lived in Central Point but now that I know he's from White City it explains even more. Central Point used to be trailer trash central but cleaned up their act & really expanded. White City was even farther down the "trash" ladder than Central Point & the last time I was through there things hadn't improved.

I'll really be surprised if he's convicted of a Felony if he doesn't have a previous criminal record . OR doesn't even bother to follow up on Felons trying to buy guns from a dealer (failed the background check) so I'm betting this will be knocked down to a misdemeanor.

I was always under the impression that Felons lost their right to vote but recently learned that a number of states allow them to vote - even from prison.

Eh...this will get plead down to a misdemeanor with a fine. But I like the fact he will still have a felony arrest on his record. That part doesn't ever change. The FAA can also impose civil fines against him...and probably should. Although incredibly unlikely, the U.S Attorney can also file federal criminal charges as shooting at any aircraft is a crime, but my guess is they will leave it to the state since they are actually going after him.

Eh...this will get plead down to a misdemeanor with a fine. But I like the fact he will still have a felony arrest on his record. That part doesn't ever change. The FAA can also impose civil fines against him...and probably should. Although incredibly unlikely, the U.S Attorney can also file federal criminal charges as shooting at any aircraft is a crime, but my guess is they will leave it to the state since they are actually going after him.

His biggest concern is the county he lives in. It's very Conservative & they don't put up with crap although I'm still betting it'll end up being a misdemeanor. If he's not convicted of a felony it shouldn't hurt his security clearance level but knowing where this happened I highly doubt he'll ever have a job that requires a clean background. His area is primarily logging / sawmill territory.

I know this is totally unrelated.... but man... I love your links as I can read all the local news. Im not bothered about the main news like the president and the like... its the little things around town, places I never heard.... and also seeing ads. Yep.... us english people are quite boring lol
Was thinking the same thing regarding the lack of anything of note over here. I understand that we are descendants of good convict stock and we certainly have had a violent past, but anything related to the unlawful use of weapons is seriously frowned upon and usually invokes the full force of the law. I shared this story with my detective brother in law who stated on the face of the evidence that this dude was going to be in a world of pain. It's so slow over here that I think I just heard a bird fart....

Was thinking the same thing regarding the lack of anything of note over here. I understand that we are descendants of good convict stock and we certainly have had a violent past, but anything related to the unlawful use of weapons is seriously frowned upon and usually invokes the full force of the law. I shared this story with my detective brother in law who stated on the face of the evidence that this dude was going to be in a world of pain. It's so slow over here that I think I just heard a bird fart....

You guys down there have what we can only dream of here - Utes. The Holden VFII Ute with the LS3 engine would sell like ice cream cones at a Weight Watchers convention but as I understand it they're closing down manufacturing.

Holden made some good looking cars & I think the Pontiac G6 was based on or built by them. GM USA sold a ton of them & Oprah Winfrey gave away 276 of them in one day to her audience members. Many of the new owners were required to pay tax on them (as much as $7000) and since most of them couldn't afford the tax they sold their new car.

You guys down there have what we can only dream of here - Utes. The Holden VFII Ute with the LS3 engine would sell like ice cream cones at a Weight Watchers convention but as I understand it they're closing down manufacturing.

Holden made some good looking cars & I think the Pontiac G6 was based on or built by them. GM USA sold a ton of them & Oprah Winfrey gave away 276 of them in one day to her audience members. Many of the new owners were required to pay tax on them (as much as $7000) and since most of them couldn't afford the tax they sold their new car.
Yeah, the ute has been around forever in various forms and adored by farmers, surfies and tradies. Holden always had the edge on looks and performance and rebadged a number of models for the US market which as you say, sold really well. Sadly Holden shut its doors last week on the production line but will continue the brand with imports and service the local market for years to come. Many of us will miss the stonking V8s produced by both Ford and Holden racing at the Bathurst 1000 and no one really knows what next year will bring. A bunch of wheezing turbo charged Nissans racing equally mundane Hyundais I guess.....

His biggest concern is the county he lives in. It's very Conservative & they don't put up with crap although I'm still betting it'll end up being a misdemeanor. If he's not convicted of a felony it shouldn't hurt his security clearance level but knowing where this happened I highly doubt he'll ever have a job that requires a clean background. His area is primarily logging / sawmill territory.

Al:

Yup...I go down there on business and your assessment of the area is correct.

Wasn’t Jackson County the one in the news years ago about the sheriff that told the news media they couldn’t get a list of CHL holders (this was before the Sheriff’s Association got together and shut the media off completely from this info)?

The felony charge stems from the value of the drone...1st Degree Criminal Mischief is on a value of more than $1000 ...2nd Degree is over $500 value and is a Class A misdemeanor...

Last edited:
First one I've read about where they went after the guy. Most seem to get off with the judge's blessing if the judge also has a prejudice against drone overflights, especially those in the south-eastern states. Okay, So. CA too.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I also think it will get plea bargained down (If the guy has a decent lawyer.) to a misdemeanor, or maybe probation with time served.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj