FC40, Walkera G-2D, GoPro 4, and PANICKING!

Reaction score
Okay, so I've read EVERYTHING on this board, even cheated and went to a different board to try and figure out an answer, watched every video linked on the boards, anything I could find on YouTube and Google, but now I'm left to grovel and ask for help! (I even subscribed to CraigW's channel, the guy is pretty good, but still couldn't find a solution)

I had done all my research, knew exactly what I was getting in to because I strongly dislike asking for help, but was left unsure about one thing... The wires... I used the 3 wire connecter provided by Walkera with the gimbal, cut it in half and soldered and extension to reach the gimbal from the NAZA. I made sure I connected all the wires to the correct colors so I wasn't crossing any lines. I then soldered the aux leads to the power connector, so it's hardwired in.

Now, I have seen a lot of posts saying I only need to connect one wire (The white with the provided cables) to the PIT pin closest to the middle of the Phantom to the bottom pin of F2 in the NAZA. Then, I watched videos in which someone connected it with the top 2 wires connected. Then I read people saying they hooked up all 3 and it's fine.

So here is my question: Which set up will make it function properly ? I just haven't seen a simply perfectly clear answer! And yes, I have the tilt controller properly and it's properly installed. I connected all 3 wires together because I figured it'd be easier to do the work once then snip wires that might be causing it to do the Jitterbug. I even bought a right angle micro USB cable to so it wouldn't offset the balance of the gimbal. If anyone could please just tell me something like "CUT THE RED ONE" it would be incredibly appreciated!!!

DWalter

Update, I've calibrated the TX, Lever control, everything, does anyone know of a way to reset the gimbal so I can try and start over? Something might have been off when I first plugged it in... I'm having no luck with this thing. Thanks

You'll notice a little diagram on the Naza module that shows - + and a square wave. That's the pinout diagram. The - is ground, the + is +5V, and the square wave is the signal line. To work, you need the ground and the signal. The power line is to provide power to accessories that need it. The ground line is at the top, the signal line is at the bottom.

On my FC40 I only used the white wire from the Naza F2 pin to the gimbal tilt. I cut the other two.

I used the power wires hanging out the leg for my power.
You must have the camera mounted to the gimbal or it will go crazy .
Power up the gimbal with the tilt wire removed,adjust the balance and tilt . Then attach the tilt wire . You will have go into the Naza assistant to turn on the gimbal and calibrate the tilt lever.

CityZen, Tallyrver, thank you VERY much for your help! I'm leaving the gimbal unplugged now so hopefully it'll reset and I can launch it properly.

Thanks again!

Can you use the +5V power on the F2 PIN of NAZA to power a Gopro (needs 3A) or do you need to use a separate BEC?

The only time you usually need to use all 3 pins is if you are powering the gimbal from a separate battery then your flight battery in the phantom. I forget why that is but its some thing to do with the signal pin not having a ground of its own to the battery if the gimbal is not powered from the same battery as the naza is.

other wise if you are powering it from the phantoms battery you only need one wire on the control signal pin on the bottom row.

Anyone know how much current is available from F2 PIN (+5V)?

If you need to pull much more than 1A, I'd probably consider a different power source. That said, I can't find any real info in DJI's manuals.

Edit: Hmm, the mp2482 step-down converter used on the main board can source up to 5A. The flight controller uses less than .5A itself. The GPS, compass, and receiver may use another .5A (a wild guess), so there might still be 3A or so left for other stuff.

Note: The info about the mp2482 is from the P2. I'm guessing that the FC40 uses a similar converter, but I don't know for certain.

I simply used all 3 pins and got power and tilt from the NAZA to the gimbal. It didn't work for me when I ran just 1 pin.

Molokai, from what I see leaving the controller there is a plug with three wires (black, red, white) and then a red / black.

The red black on the side is for power, no? Connect to the phantom power supply.

Where do the red and black wires which are on the plug with the white wire go? I know the white wire connects straight to Naza. If the red and black on the same plug as the white are plugged in to the naza for power, then does that make the red and black which plug in to the side of the walkera controller not required?

Thanks

Some of the posts above have made sense of this to me...!

OK, so if you are powering the gimbal from the phantom (e.g. +ve and -ve connections on the gimbal to power it are connected to the phantom's onboard power or to the balance connector on your battery, then you only need a single connection between signal and F2 bottom most connection to get tilt working.
This is because you already have a -ve connection made on the gimbal - you don't need two. It shouldn't HURT if you wire up a second ground but you shouldn't need it.
Should your gimbal be being powered off a separate power source from the phantom - e.g. a second separate battery - then you WILL need the ground connecting to the Naza controller.

So if I wire the power on the side of the controller to the grey and red coming down the phantom leg, and the white to the naza, disregarding the red and black next to the white, I will be OK?

I ordered some much stiffer rubber isolators for my Walkera 2D gimbal and all of the jello and jitter is gone with them!

The supplied rubbers were not stiff enough.

I still can't get this thing figured out... I posted a video to youtube of how it gets all jerky when going side to side. Am I going too fast? I also didn't have it plugged into the NAZA because I want to get this figured out before I start messing with something else. It doesn't get better when I plug it in either. It's balanced and sits perfectly level when not moving and not plugged in. I had the tilt control set so it would stop just before the blades got into the frame when plugged in, but now it goes all the way to the top. If anyone has any advice they could share at beginners comprehension it would be greatly appreciated!

http://youtu.be/dXUVJvXSiVA

dwalterrealty said:
I still can't get this thing figured out... I posted a video to youtube of how it gets all jerky when going side to side. Am I going too fast? I also didn't have it plugged into the NAZA because I want to get this figured out before I start messing with something else. It doesn't get better when I plug it in either. It's balanced and sits perfectly level when not moving and not plugged in. I had the tilt control set so it would stop just before the blades got into the frame when plugged in, but now it goes all the way to the top. If anyone has any advice they could share at beginners comprehension it would be greatly appreciated!

http://youtu.be/dXUVJvXSiVA

Sometimes when I power mine on it acts funny,I power it off and back on it works. Is that a usb cable on the side of the GoPro? If so make sure it doesn't restrict the movement. I had to play around with my video cable so it was not pulling on the gimbal.
I have a toggle switch on the gimbal power wire, after the compass dance and right before lift off I flip the switch. The gimbal doesn't like extra movement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20