Fastest Speed?

Reaction score
My dad (P4 pilot) has been a member here for a while and said I should post my top speed on here. I did a flight over Lake Ontario last week into an extreme wind. When returning I put my P3 Pro into "atti" mode and positioned it so it is flying perfectly with the wind and achieved 97 mph. My dad said this is extraordinary. Is this true?

Attachments

• 2016-11-09 01.10.33.png
    2016-11-09 01.10.33.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 647
My dad (P4 pilot) has been a member here for a while and said I should post my top speed on here. I did a flight over Lake Ontario last week into an extreme wind. When returning I put my P3 Pro into "atti" mode and positioned it so it is flying perfectly with the wind and achieved 97 mph. My dad said this is extraordinary. Is this true?
If it was true, it would be more than extraordinary.
It would mean that you were hitching a ride on a 60 mph wind.
If the wind was that strong you would have not been able to launch or go upwind and never would have got the Phantom back.
You would have had difficulty standing up with a wind of that strength.
But there's a well known fault in the part of the Go app that computes the Top Speed (and top altitude) you are looking at.
To see how fast your Phantom was flying, go to the individual flight record and play that back watching the telemetry.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Also sync it with healthy drones as that will also give a reading and shows you the wind speed too. Did you have any footage by any chance? Would love to see it

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think it is a glitch in the log. On my android after I synced the local logs I had one show at 91.6 but on iPad it is correct at 62.5. That also matches HD.

Maybe possible I don't know. But it isn't the first time I've been to 90 mph. And I fly withome a kindle tablet and a android phone and have gotten high speed off of both. First time I flew with a heavy wind I managed 74 mph. Then 86. then 88. The 90 even and had several flights at 90 mph but couldn't break any deeper until I went on a vacation to Lake Ontario the other day and there was a crazy wind coming off of it. I actually intended to fly out farther but it was such a violent wind it scared me so I returned only 2000 ft out and thats when it managed this. The bird it's self has carbon props and the right rear rotor housing is ever so slightly warped from when my dad (who owned it before me and now has the P4) but otherwise is stock. I figure the slightly out of balance prop might add just enough instability to it to achieve this but I don't know haha. I thought this was noral until just a few days ago. When I bought it from my dad it come with no directions or anything I kind of just had to lean it all trial by fire. I had already flown alot so feel like I'm pretty good as far as that goes but stuff like this is new to me haha

Dji said there is a glitch in the database and what you see is actually kph or kilometers per hour. In that case the aircraft was traveling 60.4mph.

Btw, it takes around a 20mph tailwind with a P3P to fly near 60mph.

See I have one also.

2016.png

Reactions: Neon Euc
Maybe possible I don't know.
To see what the speed really was, all you have to do is play back that flight record in the app.
And it will be more than surprising if you can find any time when your Phantom was traveling at 97 mph or anything even close to that.

Here is the flight record saying 97 mph. Also another thing, there was no possible way those were 20 mph winds. I would guess more like 40 mph or more. I was having to lean into it a little bit to stand and the lake was under a surf warning. Frankly it was really stupid for me to be flying in that kind of weather especially over water, but it was going to probably my only shot to fly over the lake and I'm more the kind that would rather risk it and say I did it then don't risk it and never do anything exciting anyhow

Try this again the picture doesn't seem to want to upload

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-10-12-09-39.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-10-12-09-39.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 470
Try this again the picture doesn't seem to want to upload

Would you be able to post the .TXT file from that particular flight located the Flight Records folder?

Haha sure if I can figure it out. I know what you're talking about, but never have tried to access it.

he file you need is in the device you have the GO app loaded on. You must connect that device to your computer and search for a folder named DJI.
Open the DJI folder and locate folder dji.pilot.
Open the dji.pilot folder and locate folder FlightRecord.
Open folder Flight Record and scroll near the bottom of the page and look for the txt file matching the flight in question. That file will look similar to this:
"DJIFlightRecord_2016-08-23_[19-22-40].txt"

Place that file in a folder and zip it and upload it here.

Here is the flight record saying 97 mph. Also another thing, there was no possible way those were 20 mph winds. I would guess more like 40 mph or more....
So to summarize, you're saying you flew your P3P into a bare-bones-minimum 40 mph sustained wind ... but it could have been more. You're not sure. Is that right?

Here is the flight record saying 97 mph. Also another thing, there was no possible way those were 20 mph winds. I would guess more like 40 mph or more. I was having to lean into it a little bit to stand and the lake was under a surf warning. Frankly it was really stupid for me to be flying in that kind of weather especially over water, but it was going to probably my only shot to fly over the lake and I'm more the kind that would rather risk it and say I did it then don't risk it and never do anything exciting anyhow
Obviously that can't be right.
The flight shows you going upwind for 3000 ft and then coming back with the wind boosting your speed.
The P3 can only get to 35 mph in still air.
If you try to fly flat out against a steady 35 mph wind, it would appear to stay in one place.
If the wind is moving faster than 35 mph, the Phantom goes backwards.
If the wind was strong enough to bring the Phantom back at 90+ mph it was too strong for the Phantom to be able to go upwind.
Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
follow the instructions and come back with a link to the report that provides and we'll be able to work out where the glitch is.

Sorry for the delay. I finally got around to it haha. From what I am seeing looks as if the maximum speed was more like 64 mph? Why is it showing so much faster everywhere else? Is this the glitch that "flyNfrank" was referring to? Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I was going to say it does not seem likely. I flew the other day in stiff wind and I could only manage 6mph into the wind. Wind strong enough to hit 90+ Mph you would not be able to fly anywhere but with the wind and plan on a landing and drive to recover your Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic