Faster P3?

Reaction score
I'm sure most are happy with the speed of the P3. But would you like having the P3 faster then what it currently is?

If I read it correctly the current rules set in place by the FAA says our quad can be as fast as 100mph.

There is times when I fly it seems like the P3 is not as fast as the V+V3. But I'm almost sure that is due to the sound the older props put off being louder making it seem faster.

I personally would not be upset if my P3 was 10-15mph faster then it currently is. I would also like the firmware could be set so that the speed be faster based on altitude. Such as speeds do not exceed 40mph below 100ft altitude.

What is your thoughts on a faster P3?

Reactions: MattyDread
A faster P3 would require upgrading the motor to something with a higher kV rating. Being that your stuck with the ESC's that are built into the main board, I do not suggest doing this... Especially since the higher kV motors will draw more current.

For some of the Motorcycle videos I have been doing, a slightly faster speed would help, although the video smoothness might suffer with such a small platform. It's simply not going to do everything a larger platform would do. It's very impressive as is.

1.) Put a Jato on it.....
2.) Drop the camera/ gimbal
3.) Get the wind behind you like ya did with the P2V+
4.) Buy a different bird...... homegrown 250 racer?

More "control" should be expected...... driven by politicians etc....same time DJI as the kingpin will one day loose their present dominator position. 10 yrs they will be the referred to as the Edsel, RC10 (electric RC car) and any technology evolution of craft can/ will apply with new entities....

I'm sure most are happy with the speed of the P3. But would you like having the P3 faster then what it currently is?

If I read it correctly the current rules set in place by the FAA says our quad can be as fast as 100mph.

There is times when I fly it seems like the P3 is not as fast as the V+V3. But I'm almost sure that is due to the sound the older props put off being louder making it seem faster.

I personally would not be upset if my P3 was 10-15mph faster then it currently is. I would also like the firmware could be set so that the speed be faster based on altitude. Such as speeds do not exceed 40mph below 100ft altitude.

What is your thoughts on a faster P3?

For its size and what it is the Phantom 2 and 3 fly quite fast enough. There is no debate or question or doubt that the Phantom 3 platform is more agile and faster than any of the Phantom 2 variants. If you want additional speed use ATTI mode. It's faster in ATTI mode because the gains are increased meaning the Phantom will pitch at a steeper angle. You can also loose altitude in ATTI mode when flying full tilt so keep that in mind.

In the end if you need a quad copter that can go significantly faster that's what larger platforms like the Inspire 1 are for. You get what you pay for.

Want a faster P3... Get and inspire 1...

And why do you want it to go faster? It's a camera platform not a sports car.

Faster appeals to following things like cars. I liked doing that with the inspire. You can keep up. It wa fun to scoot across the sky. The inspire could make my normal route over a golf course much faster and I felt as if I could cover more ground. Eventually you get tired of the same video and just want to fly and play

........... why do you want it to go faster? It's a camera platform not a sports car.
You make Politburo very proud, comrade! Everybody same! Think alike! Act alike! No need for individual expression. Ve know what's best for you! Do not make a wave!

Yeah, I know. That was kind of a lame analogy. :D

Reactions: clkilljoy
For its size and what it is the Phantom 2 and 3 fly quite fast enough. There is no debate or question or doubt that the Phantom 3 platform is more agile and faster than any of the Phantom 2 variants. If you want additional speed use ATTI mode. It's faster in ATTI mode because the gains are increased meaning the Phantom will pitch at a steeper angle. You can also loose altitude in ATTI mode when flying full tilt so keep that in mind.

In the end if you need a quad copter that can go significantly faster that's what larger platforms like the Inspire 1 are for. You get what you pay for.

Hey Ben, I have actually had the chance to do some flight test in the Atti mode. And surprisingly my P3P flies level throughout at least a 1300ft flight at full throttle. It does not lose any altitude whatsoever. Also with no wind, max speed is achieved with in the 1st 200ft. It will not gain any speed beyond that point, without wind. The graph's at flightreplay.com work great for researching this data. With it also showing vertical speed in the graph with altitude and horizontal speed gives a good point of reference where and when everything takes place from start to finish in a speed test.

As mentioned I have had my quad grounded since the last week of June. Well myself and the other Frank (Fdnyfish) has been working on some variances we discovered with our quad's a week ago. We needed fresh flight data from my quad so a couple days ago so after checking over pre flight I make a 5-6 minute flight. Once the quad goes through warm up I launch up to around 150ft, hover for a minute, and then begin flying around. I was in P-mode throughout the flight and when I took off from hovering I stayed at 3/4 throttle and then went full throttle for a couple seconds. I looked at the speed on the monitor and saw 45mph. I left off the stick right away and look at the mode switch to make sure it was in deed in P-mode, and it was. I thought omg where did that extra speed come from in P-mode. I turn around fly back and around to do it again and next time it was back to the regular speed. So as soon as I get a chance I will go over the flight log data and see if I find anything stand out that might explain what was doing what to be able to fly as fast as it did.

Look at pitch angle especially.

Like to read your findings too.

When I attached FRP made gimbal guard, I had impression that designing proper "wing" and attach to the landing skid will increase speed - exactly lift, but helping lift by wings then surplus motor power can be thrust. Only forward direction. And if FC limits speed by GPS, blinding GPS antenna is also needed.
BTW I myself don't want faster P3.

Hey Ben, I have actually had the chance to do some flight test in the Atti mode. And surprisingly my P3P flies level throughout at least a 1300ft flight at full throttle. It does not lose any altitude whatsoever. Also with no wind, max speed is achieved with in the 1st 200ft. It will not gain any speed beyond that point, without wind. The graph's at flightreplay.com work great for researching this data. With it also showing vertical speed in the graph with altitude and horizontal speed gives a good point of reference where and when everything takes place from start to finish in a speed test.

As mentioned I have had my quad grounded since the last week of June. Well myself and the other Frank (Fdnyfish) has been working on some variances we discovered with our quad's a week ago. We needed fresh flight data from my quad so a couple days ago so after checking over pre flight I make a 5-6 minute flight. Once the quad goes through warm up I launch up to around 150ft, hover for a minute, and then begin flying around. I was in P-mode throughout the flight and when I took off from hovering I stayed at 3/4 throttle and then went full throttle for a couple seconds. I looked at the speed on the monitor and saw 45mph. I left off the stick right away and look at the mode switch to make sure it was in deed in P-mode, and it was. I thought omg where did that extra speed come from in P-mode. I turn around fly back and around to do it again and next time it was back to the regular speed. So as soon as I get a chance I will go over the flight log data and see if I find anything stand out that might explain what was doing what to be able to fly as fast as it did.

You weren't going fast enough to experience altitude loss. Also my experience so far is confined to the Phantom 2 Vision, until my P3 arrives next week.

I noticed some altitude loss when I was flying at 50mph for an extended distance. You flew barely over 40 for a much shorter distance. Phantoms going in excess or these speeds are the result of flying with a tail wind behind you. On a calm day I think the fastest a P3 will go is around 35 to 40mph. Less than that for a P2.

You make Politburo very proud, comrade! Everybody same! Think alike! Act alike! No need for individual expression. Ve know what's best for you! Do not make a wave!

Yeah, I know. That was kind of a lame analogy. :D
So you are the type to take a Ferrari down to the store to get milk for your kid... Good for you...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20