Failsafe or manual? flyaway

Reaction score
Only had about 6 flights with my new phantom 2 and its been great havent had any problems. after researching though im worried if i get a flyaway and the best options to have if i do.
at the minute i dont have naza- m mode on so im only flying with gps mode and if i click down to the bottom setting i have programmed it to go into failsafe. if i do get a flyaway and click down to failsafe mode, am i correct in saying this wont do anything because it is still being controlled by gps? so am i worth getting rid of the failsafe mode and putting manual mode there instead (through naza-m) so if i do get a flyaway i can quickly click down to manual and disable the gps and it will just hover then i can click it back to gps mode and fly it back?
thanks alot

I have mine S1 set to GPS/ATTI/Failsafe.

If I can see it still and something *bad* happens where I need to get it home, I use ATTI as this disables the GPS. If it were to go out of sight, I would then use failsafe and pray that it's GPS lock is still good and comes home.

Fortunately, I haven't had to use failsafe yet. I do a lot of practice with long distance orientation to get it back when I can still see it (ShrimpFarmer has a good post on here with some info on that).

max01726 said:
Only had about 6 flights with my new phantom 2 and its been great havent had any problems. after researching though im worried if i get a flyaway and the best options to have if i do.
at the minute i dont have naza- m mode on so im only flying with gps mode and if i click down to the bottom setting i have programmed it to go into failsafe. if i do get a flyaway and click down to failsafe mode, am i correct in saying this wont do anything because it is still being controlled by gps? so am i worth getting rid of the failsafe mode and putting manual mode there instead (through naza-m) so if i do get a flyaway i can quickly click down to manual and disable the gps and it will just hover then i can click it back to gps mode and fly it back?
thanks alot

Going into ATT mode should get you back in control. Going into Failsafe will actually take control away from you. I would also suggest getting some air time using Manual mode to familiarize yourself the way the controls work. It feels a lot different from ATT mode and even that more foreign to GPS mode.

I have a Futaba and have it set up GPS/ATT/Manual (but almost never use Manual) and then a separate Failsafe toggle - I call it my OHSHIT! switch.

Oh so ATT mode doesnt use gps?? so if a flyaway occured i could quickly switch to att mode and this disables the gps and should be able to fly it back? if so i will set my toggle as gps/att/failsafe instead of manual!
cheers

Bojo said:
Get a gps unit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he means get a separate GPS tracker unit for your phantom.

I would also enable Naza mode so that you can flick the switch to ATTI mode to disable the GPS as suggested in a previous post.

ATTI doesn't use the GPS or the compass. It just uses the IMU to maintain level attitude. If the flyaway is GPS and/or compass related, switching to ATTI should allow you to recover control. There is a misconception that the GPS receiver has been a primary source for many flyaways. I doubt this. The compass, on the other hand, is a common culprit especially when magnetized or calibrated poorly. Those in areas of high declination are at higher risk of compass related flyaway due to declination bug as they are already off by a number of degrees.

If the flyaway is of a mechanical nature that results in diminished function of one or more corners or IMU related resulting in the inability to stay level, then even in ATTI, your flyaway will continue as long as it is airborne. A "controlled" ditching in manual is the only way to prevent it from continuing.

There is also the stuck RX mode of failure but I am not sure we've seen that with the P2.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik