Failed Release?

This is my first Phantom product but not my first RC aircraft and I'm wondering is this a failed, poorly executed release....

Based on all the issues with the Phantom 3 release is this normal for DJI?

I mean there has been lots of issues and rumors with this release. Backpack with P3P, iOS app not working, shipping delays etc.

Is this normal for a highly anticipated DJI product release? Was this the same deal for the Inspire?

As a first time buyer it's kind of crazy to think that an issue like the iOS app not working would even exist. You would think that is something that is as important and promoted would work well before units started shipping.

I am still waiting for my P3A and after hearing about the iOS delays I wish I would of waited longer. I am afraid a rushed app may have bugs or other issues that may cause a crash.

So do you think this is a failed poorly executed release? Or is this usual business for DJI?

It seems to me it is business as usual for any tech release. I follow camera and photography forums a lot closer than I follow quad copter forums but the Vision 3 narrative seems to closely mimic the narrative of any new camera release.

It starts with the manufacturer announcing a new product, with specifications to follow.
When this happens, the predictions about what feature set the product will have starts, shortly after that the negativity also starts, the common theme being if they leave off this feature or that, the poster is going to jump ship to a different brand.

Next is the specification release, and that is when the pissing and moaning really gets into high gear, since the people who were expecting to have all the stars in the sky delivered seemingly have to settle for just the moon and a few constellations.
Disappointment reigns, it is predicted that the new camera will be a complete flop, the company doesn't care about it's customers, etc, and more threats of jumping ship happen.

Then the product actually gets released and the early adopters do their very best to test their new cameras to failure, and then post on the internet what garbage it is because a test designed to make the camera fail actually made the camera fail.

After going through the three phases of product introduction, things seem to settle down as the genuine users start getting their hands on the equipment and start using it without problems.
Except that they get branded as fan boys and kool-aid drinkers because they are happy with the product and aren't seeing all the game ending failures of the product.

I suspect this is exactly the same as what happens in the world of quad copters. Certainly what I have read about the Phantom 3 leads me to believe this is the case.

All of DJI's problems are a direct cause of them trying to get the product out as quickly as possible to meet IMEDIATE market demands.

1. They don't have the resources to keep up with the growing userbase (That will get better)
2. They rushed out the P3 to get it in the hands of the impulse buyers before they have any competition (Smart Business Decision)
3. When they do have competition, the P3 will be further evolved. (Competition between manufacturers is good for the consumer. It drives progress)

Financially, they made a good decision and are reaping the benefits.. (You as consumers are helping to make it possible for advanced growth)

Because of the above, it looks like initial releases of their products will follow this template and you should expect a few bumps..

But overall it wasn't a failed release from their standpoint...
It seems to me it is business as usual for any tech release. I follow camera and photography forums a lot closer than I follow quad copter forums but the Vision 3 narrative seems to closely mimic the narrative of any new camera release.

It starts with the manufacturer announcing a new product, with specifications to follow.
When this happens, the predictions about what feature set the product will have starts, shortly after that the negativity also starts, the common theme being if they leave off this feature or that, the poster is going to jump ship to a different brand.

Next is the specification release, and that is when the pissing and moaning really gets into high gear, since the people who were expecting to have all the stars in the sky delivered seemingly have to settle for just the moon and a few constellations.
Disappointment reigns, it is predicted that the new camera will be a complete flop, the company doesn't care about it's customers, etc, and more threats of jumping ship happen.

Then the product actually gets released and the early adopters do their very best to test their new cameras to failure, and then post on the internet what garbage it is because a test designed to make the camera fail actually made the camera fail.

After going through the three phases of product introduction, things seem to settle down as the genuine users start getting their hands on the equipment and start using it without problems.
Except that they get branded as fan boys and kool-aid drinkers because they are happy with the product and aren't seeing all the game ending failures of the product.

I suspect this is exactly the same as what happens in the world of quad copters. Certainly what I have read about the Phantom 3 leads me to believe this is the case.

People will take the time to ***** before they will take the time to complement.

And mostly for the simple reason that a drone flown with disregard is pretty dangerous..
... and this will stop those idiot from doing dumb things? Just something to consider.

IMHO what really needs to be done is to _limit_ the amount of law enforcement against general flying and make it _easier_ to go after the people who cause harm.

To address the posts on the first page, I believe the OP asked a serious question.

The posts with the sole purpose of calling the OP a "troll" have been removed. Not everyone has been dealing with DJI for years and knows how they work. This was a question that needed to be asked and lets give our opinions in a non-derogatory way. Thanks!

Thank you very much [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instead of taking all this time complaining, working yourself into a lather, possibly stressing your heart, send the thing back and get on with your life.

I would imagine that you are not familiar with the history of DJI. It's a great company and it's a great product but when you purchase a bird that was just released to the public there are going to be issues. That is the nature of the beast. That's why I am waiting until all the bugs are discovered and all the bugs are somewhat fixed. I will learn from all of your mistakes. LOL!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj