Failed Release?

To me everything is still fine with this launch. I will get my P3P in Monday/next week (hopefully). If I would have stayed away from this forum, I would have not seen any of the rumors flying around that makes this launch feel like an evil scam of some super villain corporation. "Bad this and bad that"... people even whined about earlier shipping dates which I find awesomely hilarious. So yes, to me, everything is still perfectly fine. When I ordered my Phantom I was prepared to wait it to arrive in May. So far so good. Only the app issue can be considered as a minor fail to people who wait to get it before daring to fly. I personally will wait for the app.

Reactions: Air5
T
I think you're being treated unfairly by members of this board. I personally feel we owe you an apology, and I will respond respectfully and frankly.

By most standards, DJI definitely didn't schedule the release/approval of their Android and iOS apps properly.

The Inspire 1 had a similar issue (in this case they tried to circumvent the normal MFi licensing process, and a number of people on DJI's own forum pointed that DJI were in violation of their Enterprise agreement).

I still have a GPS drop out bug in my P2 Vision+. Customer support is by any reasonable standard, pretty poor.

That's the truth. I love my aerial robotic camera, but this is the reality of DJI today (and for the last 8 years).
Thanks for rectify this, for a moment i was ashamed to be member of this forum.

I can't lie.....i read the first 3 sentences of the OP and (troll?) Popped up in my mind....no basis to necessarily think so but it came off in a trollie type way.....

More and more companies are going to market quickly without really through testing.

We end up being beta testers. Its not just DJI but many other companies that do this. Even Apple has launched iOS updates which turn out to have important bugs needing fixing with another update a few days later.

As much as I get excited by new stuff - I also get very frustrated with bugs and issues so tend to try and hold on for a few months for the more serious bugs to be fixed.

I'm very excited by the new DJI Phantom 3 but will hold on till July before buying one!

If it's getting out and getting to customers, then it's not a failed release.
Not ideal, but certainly not failed. This kind of stuff happens with simultaneous releases. Home countries (china in this case) typically get priority. Those on the other side of the world suffer lag. Only a few companies can pull off simultaneous global release of a consumer electronics product and get it close to right.

Also... never go by message boards as an indicator of success. People overwhelmingly ***** and complain online, while satisfied customers, remain silent and satisfied--they just don't rush to the internet believing that crying like a baby about their phantom being 3 days late will fix anything. It is no litmus for what the market is really doing. Quite the opposite.

I actually find it quite humorous how some people lack the patience to wait an additional three days. They get pissed off and frustrated because their item, that they are currently living fine without, isn't showing up on a day it was never promised to begin with. Canceling orders and placing new ones, blaming vendors, blaming apple (like this is apple's product), and making fools of themselves because they can't have their toy the day it ships form the wharehouse in Shenzhen. Important to keep in mind the only official release date from DJI's mouth to the press was "Early May."

Relax, wait. Your Phantoms will arrive before "Early May" ends and you will be able to fly it around for whatever time critical must-have-right-now-or-universe-will-end event you need it for. Complaining constantly and hassling vendors at their busiest time of year isn't helping.

+1

The original question could be taken either way - but without any evidence indicating trolling intention, the benefit of the doubt should always be given. Real trolls will always make it obvious anyway. Just look at all the posts from the anti-DJI, Gopro lovers to see what I mean.
Meanwhile .. DJI have had an ambitious launch of a revolutionary product that's pushed most of the competition out of the race.
They've had a few glitches, perhaps because of pushing to reach unrealistic deadlines but so far it's looking like the lessons from the Inspire have been learned and we're in for some great flying and filming with the best in class ready to fly copter out there .. and for an unbeatable price.

Thanks to the Inspire owners that did the beta testing for us.
The P3 is new - but most of the systems come from what is now a proven product.
I'm optimistic that the P3 won't be plagued by the sort of issues some other machines (not just DJI either) have.
We'll see soon enough.

Glad to wake up this morning and see legitimate answers (as it was intended) and support. Good to see that there are still normal people here. Thank you.

Why are people calling the OP a troll? It was a pretty legitimate question, and I've been wondering the same thing.
+1 I thought the question was reasonable and looked very different to the obvious troll posts.

Real trolls will always make it obvious anyway. Just look at all the posts from the anti-DJI, Gopro lovers to see what I mean.

Good example of a bad example. If I think the GoPro is a better camera, I am a troll? I don't think so, sweetheart. ;) Don't confuse informed criticism with trolling. There are some pixel peepers here who want to see DJI make some important improvements to the camera firmware.

Reactions: Casper2015
I don' think the release was a fail. As I understand it, their usual issue is not releasing the device on the date promised. I think this could be said of a lot of companies. I think they may have botched up how many units they sent to each dealer (can't be sure). As far as the iOS app, in the RC Groups forum they acknowledged that they screwed up the submission to Apple. The app was ready to go, nothing was rushed. They just did not submit it correctly which caused a delay.

The release obviously wasn't flawless but definitely not failed. Bad publicity is still publicity and it's better to have people talking about your product than not, even better though if it's all positive.

The thing that bugs me about DJI's release is they didn't have everything ready to go. At this stage in the game with their similar to Apple marketing I would have expected that the day the product ships they update the site with instructional how to videos, manuals, user tips and tricks videos... Spending a few days to prepare a decent media campaign would have gone a long way in promoting improved support without even really improving support.

I watched the video's on the phantom 2 vision+ and that's what sold me on getting one. I watched them and thought this is amazing I can buy this plug in my phone and be flying. Now they seem to be relying on YouTube, online blogs and other websites to promote their product.

And don't get me started on the "tier 1" dealers whom can't get enough P3's to even start filling their orders.

Whether this was a "failed" attempt or not really comes down to personal viewpoint. Could DJI do better? Of course they could. Do they have some "evil" intent to extract the $$$ out of hapless, ignorant consumers? I seriously doubt that. I really don't think they could have "won" on this one. It seems to me, and I could be totally wrong, that they may have been trying to be the heroes to get their product out a little earlier than originally predicted. Doing so meant that they could be behind the "8 ball" with software & manual issues. They may have felt it was worth the risk to get product to the "hungry." On the other hand, if they would have waited, they become the "evil" corporation to take people's money early and deliver late. In all reality, it is what it is. I haven't been in their engineering, marketing & production meetings but I seriously, seriously doubt that there are any nefarious intentions. I imagine they are simply trying VERY hard to get a superior product to their loyal and anxious customers as quickly as they can & beat their competition. Isn't that what any company does? If it turns out to be a great product, which I hope it does, then there will be some awesome videos and pics coming out of it, and yes, DJI will make $$$$$$$! I hope all of this comes true. Even though I have had 2 flyaways with one being a total loss, I am still in line to get a P3. It will be here in a couple of weeks (thanks DronesEtc) and I will be very happy to fly it! If it takes a little longer, I will still be happy to fly it when it arrives! Do I like waiting? Of course not. But as a good friend of mine is want to say, "Change is inevitable. Misery is optional." So, I choose not to be miserable. One "other" thing, if it takes just a little bit longer to get quality product out the door vs quick product, then I'll (happily) wait.

Last edited:
This is why preordering is bad practice.
1) impulse buying
2) lack of information
3) high expectation
4) receiver of the money isn't encouraged to release a ready product without faults

A prime example is how many kickstarters have failed to accomplish their goals. The same goes for the PC/console gaming industry.

Even worse when the company isn't able to offer sufficient customer support and just keeps trying to patch everything so that a small amount of products are actually returned.

This is why preordering is bad practice.
1) impulse buying
2) lack of information
3) high expectation
4) receiver of the money isn't encouraged to release a ready product without faults

A prime example is how many kickstarters have failed to accomplish their goals. The same goes for the PC/console gaming industry.

Even worse when the company isn't able to offer sufficient customer support and just keeps trying to patch everything so that a small amount of products are actually returned.

I don't agree with your points, but that doesn't mean you're wrong on all of them. They CAN apply in certain situations, but, personally, I don't think DJI is bent on self-destruction or shooting themselves in the foot. They want to be successful like any other company. They have MANY happy customers and like other companies have unhappy customers as well. Some will be delighted to get their P3's when they arrive and some will not be happy no matter when they get them. I didn't buy on impulse; I had plenty of information; I do have high expectation as one should about a superior product; I don't buy for a minute that DJI isn't encouraged to release a ready product w/o faults. If they do, they're stupid and I really don't think that is the case with all the success they've had. As I said, could they do better? Of course! But, knowing manufacturing and start ups, I do think it is pretty amazing that this company has come from nothing to where they are in such a short time. That, in itself, brings unbelievable challenges, which I think they have overcome, for the most part, in varying degrees in the eyes of their consumers. I'm certainly not a DJI "fanboy" but all things considered, they are an amazing story. Most people would not be able to handle the growth they have enjoyed.

I think this time next year, possibly even before xmas, there'll be serious competition for DJI and if they don't solve these repetitive bugs and lack of support by then, customers will be looking to spend their coin elsewhere.

Viewed some early videos here in the last 24 hours and I don't see anything wrong with the camera, gimbal, or quad. So what is there to complain about?

Reactions: Skyy
I think this time next year, possibly even before xmas, there'll be serious competition for DJI and if they don't solve these repetitive bugs and lack of support by then, customers will be looking to spend their coin elsewhere.
What repetitive bugs exactly? You think they don't know there's going to be competition? There already is.

The only serious competition exists already (3DR Solo, Yuneec Q500+,forget Walkera Scout, already in the trash bin). No new company is going to come out and complete seriously with DJI. Look at all the problems they have had in the last year and still we line up to buy their new product. They are trying to look as good as possible right now, as they will go public this year. They are the giant that everyone else will follow. Why? Because they make a good (not perfect) product at a more than reasonable price.

What I meant was competition feature-wise, not competitors as such. Sorry I made that unclear.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20