Failed firmware update P3 professional

Reaction score
Has anybody else failed to update the new firmware for P3 pro. I downloaded the update extracted it to SD card and made sure the bin file is in the root directory and only file on SD card. It starts the update beeping its head off for about 40 minutes and then the lights go to flashing beeping stops but makes a rather loud humming noise almost to a beep sound and continues. I cut it off after an hour and checked the text file and is says to reboot and try update again. formatted the sd card made sure I had the pro update and not the advanced and tried again and after an hour the same thing happened that the update was unsuccessful. Tried the update on controller and it updated after a couple of minutes.

There is another thread on here that tells you what to try if that happens. It's in the thread about the new update.

IF the DJI process failed and you have tried again but it wont do it, try this, we worked through this with people on RCG when the last fw was released and it worked in almost all cases

There seems to be a few people having problems upgrading to the latest firmware, Me and several other have been working through it and seem to have come up with a process that work's.

If you have not tried to update your firmware please follow DJI procedure first, that works fine in almost all cases.
If then that fails try the below.

Please try the following as we have worked through this all ready with a few people that could not update and had success. Please don't skip as step

1: Turn off the P3 and remove the battery for 20 minutes. makes sure its charged over 50% at this point.

2: Format the SD card again. Use the one it was supplied with

3:.Download the correct file again from DJI website,

4:.Place the correct .bin file from the new downloaded file on the SD card,

5:Turn on your controller.

6: Connect tablet and open the DJI Pilot app to camera.

7: Insert battery and turn on P3 with out SD card in and see if it connects to controller

8: if it connects then shut the P3 off, if it don't connect leave a few minutes then turn P3 off, don't worry if it does not connect to the app.

9: Close the DJI App but leave the controller turned on,

10: Insert SD card into P3 and turn on and allow software update.

11: Check update text file after its changed to finished tones.

12: Then please post the hidden log file located under the MISC\LOG\ folder on the SD card, you will need to enable I view hidden files and folders on your computer to see it

Here is the post I was taking about

Reactions: Patricio
Ok, first off there is a log file on the SD card after trying update that shows this.

Result: Failed.

Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======

Packet: P3X_FW_V01.02.0006.bin

Upgrading ...

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======

Packet: P3X_FW_V01.02.0006.bin

Upgrading ...

But if I show hidden files and folders and go now to the Miscellaneous folder there are a bunch of successful and unsuccessful attempts. which one is the newest the first one on top or the last file at the bottom of page? Also. I rebooted the P3 and turned on the controller with camera app and it tells me I have the latest firmware and if I go to the about page it says 1.2.6. so was it successful or not?

I'm getting the weird constant almost solid tone...
Mine has failed to, here is the contents of the hidden file:
[00012658]========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 unsynchronized ======
[00012670]Packet [C:\P3S_FW_V01.02.0007.bin] detected.
[00012675]Packet upgrade start...

[00012686]Packet checking...
[00012692]Done.

[00012698]Version checking[1]...
[00012731][03 05] v34.2.0.8 -> v34.2.0.9 need upgrade.
[00012771][03 06] v2.1.6.18 -> v2.2.6.8 need upgrade.
[00012781][04 00] v1.36.0.0 -> v1.38.0.0 need upgrade.
[00012800][09 00] v1.7.0.3 -> v1.7.0.3
[00012871][11 00] v1.6.0.0 -> v1.6.0.0
[00012933][12 00] v1.8.0.0 -> v1.8.0.0
[00012985][12 01] v1.8.0.0 -> v1.8.0.0
[00013025][12 02] v1.8.0.0 -> v1.8.0.0
[00013071][12 03] v1.8.0.0 -> v1.8.0.0
[00013080][15 00] v1.1.2.0 -> v1.1.2.0
[00013115][17 00] v1.1.1.2 -> v1.1.1.6 need upgrade.
[00013195][17 01] v1.0.2.4 -> v1.0.2.5 need upgrade.
[00013220][19 00] v1.0.8.59 -> v1.0.8.96 need upgrade.
[00013227][01 00] v1.7.2735 -> v1.14.3061 need upgrade
[00013231][01 01] v1.7.2735 -> v1.14.3061 need upgrade
[00013237]Done.

[00015241]Waiting for user confirm...
[00025248]Timeout, start upgrade automatically.

[00025262]Firmware upgrading[1]...
[00061389][01 00] Firmware checksum failed.
[00061396]Packet upgrade failed at firmware upgrade.

Make sure you take the plastic guard off your P3 camera before you start. Mine would not load and that is all it was..

Follow the instructions in this post and let it beep unit it stops. You can hear the normal update tone as it is updating. Then the annoying beep stops and it is updated!

If the DJI pilot app says that I have the latest firmware upgrade, is that guarantee enough that the update went through?

IF the DJI process failed and you have tried again but it wont do it, try this, we worked through this with people on RCG when the last fw was released and it worked in almost all cases

There seems to be a few people having problems upgrading to the latest firmware, Me and several other have been working through it and seem to have come up with a process that work's.

If you have not tried to update your firmware please follow DJI procedure first, that works fine in almost all cases.
If then that fails try the below.

Please try the following as we have worked through this all ready with a few people that could not update and had success. Please don't skip as step

1: Turn off the P3 and remove the battery for 20 minutes. makes sure its charged over 50% at this point.

2: Format the SD card again. Use the one it was supplied with

3:.Download the correct file again from DJI website,

4:.Place the correct .bin file from the new downloaded file on the SD card,

5:Turn on your controller.

6: Connect tablet and open the DJI Pilot app to camera.

7: Insert battery and turn on P3 with out SD card in and see if it connects to controller

8: if it connects then shut the P3 off, if it don't connect leave a few minutes then turn P3 off, don't worry if it does not connect to the app.

9: Close the DJI App but leave the controller turned on,

10: Insert SD card into P3 and turn on and allow software update.

11: Check update text file after its changed to finished tones.

12: Then please post the hidden log file located under the MISC\LOG\ folder on the SD card, you will need to enable I view hidden files and folders on your computer to see it

Here is the post I was taking about

I've done all the steps and still after 3 mins I get a solid bbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeepppppppppp all the time and the indicator light on the gimble is solid red!! .... attached is the log.

Attachments

• P3S_FW_LOG_AB.txt
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,536
Hi Hillo,

I signed up to this site because of your post. We are getting the exact same problem, to the tee- practically the same log even. It seems to upgrade fine to v1.22.4095 of something, and then it just fails with a "Packet upgrade failed at version checking." and a red light and a long continuous beep.

We can't seem to fly the quad without finishing this upgrade (it gives us a NO SIGNAL in the app).

Trying out some of the other solutions hasn't worked.

Have you gotten any further with the issue?

Hey Extropix -- I called DJI tech support.. They said the issue with mine is that I upgraded the firmware to the newest version without doing it systematically ... What I should have done was see which firmware it came with then update to the next version then to the other etc etc. So now I have to send the drone back to Amazon for a refund then buy another .. All in all I didn't work out so bad since its on sale now for $200. Less.. [emoji16][emoji106] so that's my progress or lack their off.. Hope this helped ... Cheers..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow, seriously? The only recourse they could offer you was to make you return the drone to refund it and make you buy another? I find that almost preposterous, not to mention it's crazy that their firmware upgrade system would be so unwieldy. At least the upgrade txt file could tell you something like "please upgrade to version xxx before you install this one" rather than simply crash and become unusable.

Sigh... anyway thanks a bunch for the help. I created a help ticket with them tonight so I'll see what they tell me. If it's anything different from what you got I'll let you know.

Okie cool.. Tks much. But yes, that's the only thing they could tell me. They said its how the software works. Smh ... That they didn't put in the manual.. I would think after spending $1000 they would make the firmware much more user friendly!! Oh well.. Keep me posted when you can pl

Hi Hillo,

I figured out the problem, so I thought I'd post a reply because I said I would report back. Since your log was so similar to mine, it might be the same issue.

I talked to the folks at DJI but in the end it turned out to be a totally different problem. I discovered that one of the cables (the smaller of the two) connecting the main flight body to the gimbaled camera had become unseated. It was a pain to reconnect but with a pair of tweezers I managed to get it in.

I thought I had checked the cables already but looks can be deceiving I guess. The connectors really need to be snugly in. If you haven't yet sent back your P3 I would recommend looking into it.

After that, I re-tried the upgrade and it worked fine.

Indeed it was the cable loose.. I've connected it but now I have no sound and the drone still would not update.. Which version of firmware did you use??
07b5af2411d6138f3b9244df08906154.jpg

Yup, that was the exact cable for me. Afterwards I upgraded to P3S_FW_V01.06.0040.bin (for the P3 Advanced).

Does the log say anything? If it's not even recognizing the upgrade file, I would think that either you have the wrong bin file, or your SD card needs reformatting perhaps? (Or maybe you left your controller on / left the drone plugged in to your computer via USB, which I kept doing by accident as well and the updater will not trigger in those cases).

Hey Extropix. -- I just formatted the SD card and did the update.. [emoji106] it worked!! SUCESS.. Thank you so so much. I'm about to update the controller now.. Keep u guys posted

Well it's all good.. Phantom is working and all is well.. Watch out for that cable ppl..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic