FAA Remote I.D.

Reaction score
FAA remote I.D. information, Changes are a coming
mail
Remote ID Banner
U.S. Department of Transportation Issues
Proposed Rule on Remote ID for Drones

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a proposed rule that would continue the safe integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly called drones, into the nation’s airspace by requiring them to be identifiable remotely.
“Remote ID technologies will enhance safety and security by allowing the FAA, law enforcement, and Federal security agencies to identify drones flying in their jurisdiction,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
The FAA will seek input on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for Remote Identification (Remote ID) of UAS that today was placed on display at the Federal Register. In the coming days, it will be accompanied by a 60-day comment period to receive public feedback and help the FAA develop a final rule to enhance safety in the skies over the U.S.
“As a pilot, my eye is always on safety first,” said FAA Administrator Steve Dickson. “Safety is a joint responsibility between government, pilots, the drone community, the general public and many others who make our nation so creative and innovative.”
Drones are a fast-growing segment of the entire transportation sector – nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots are registered with the FAA. Equipping drones with remote identification technologies would build on previous steps taken by the FAA and the UAS industry to safely integrate operations, including the small UAS rule, which covers drones weighing less than 55 pounds, and the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations.
These efforts lay the foundation for more complex operations, such as those beyond visual line of sight at low altitudes, as the FAA and the drone industry move toward a traffic management ecosystem for UAS flights separate from, but complementary to, the air traffic management system.
The proposed Remote ID rule would apply to all drones that are required to register with the FAA (recreational drones weighing under 0.55 pounds are not required to register), as well as to persons operating foreign civil UAS in the U.S.

If I'm understanding what I'm reading in the NPRM, after a cutoff date anyone flying a drone that is not capable of either standard (broadcast and Internet) or limited (Internet only) remote ID will be restricted to certain pre-approved areas, such as model airplane venues. Since remote ID capabilities don't yet exist that would include basically what everyone owns now (unless it is possible for the manufacturer to provide a software/firmware update to allow them to meet the requirements, which seems questionable, and even if so there's no indication of how much it would cost or who would pay (want to guess who would pay?) This would so restrict usability as to make them worthless to most.

"Persons that own unmanned aircraft in this group of “legacy” UAS without remote identification equipment would have potential “loss of use” associated impacts since this proposal does not include grandfathering."

Last edited:
In the email I got from the faa has this graphic was attached. Interesting it depends on internet connection. So if you are flying where you have no dependable connection there maybe an issue. The FRIA will keep the hobby fields active.

Attachments

• B77641A3-F783-42AD-9607-5035E65B9E46.jpeg
    B77641A3-F783-42AD-9607-5035E65B9E46.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 584
For those of you, like me, with an interest in drones for photography … take a look at what is coming.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-28100.pdf

Unbelievable … 319 pages !!

If they’re going to require ADS-B out for drones, why not make it for any drones flying above 400 ft., or those applying for waivers to fly in controlled airspace …

Imagine what your TCAS will look like when all drones have ADS-B out ??

And what about the problem w. limited numbers of ADS-B towers and little low-altitude coverage .. thousands more towers??

After 12/31/19 you can ‘comment’ on the proposed rule here: Public Inspection: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I urge you to pass this around, and consider commenting …

Reactions: HueyPilot
For those of you, like me, with an interest in drones for photography … take a look at what is coming.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-28100.pdf

Unbelievable … 319 pages !!

If they’re going to require ADS-B out for drones, why not make it for any drones flying above 400 ft., or those applying for waivers to fly in controlled airspace …

Imagine what your TCAS will look like when all drones have ADS-B out ??

And what about the problem w. limited numbers of ADS-B towers and little low-altitude coverage .. thousands more towers??

After 12/31/19 you can ‘comment’ on the proposed rule here: Public Inspection: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I urge you to pass this around, and consider commenting …

Why just above 400'? This isn't just about Manned Aircraft to UAS but also UAS to UAS situations. They will all need the tech or it's useless.

I'm DEF planning to comment and say YES! Let's do this :)

Reactions: jephoto
I’m slowly chewing through 319 pages. Interesting faa will not depend on ads-b out. The connection to the internet AND the uas independently broadcasting to a tower is what they propose. The equipment to send to a tower does not seem to be defined. Page 107 “Example Operating Scenarios“ are hilarious to read. Also note the obvious mention of paying for a subscription to a USS :(

If you do not have the USS secondary connection you’ll be limited to a 400’ bubble

Why just above 400'? This isn't just about Manned Aircraft to UAS but also UAS to UAS situations. They will all need the tech or it's useless.

Do we yet understand the equipment and cost required to comply? I understand it will be in new units, but I am referring to existing drones.

Do we yet understand the equipment and cost required to comply? I understand it will be in new units, but I am referring to existing drones.

Nothing like that has been noted yet. We know nothing except we have a NPRM where people can voice their opinions. It may or may not make a difference.

True mine has that ability as well. The dji uuid is meant for aeroscope and has about a 5km range. What isn’t yet defined is if that uuid is compatible and has the range to comply with the secondary connection to the USS (UAS Service Supplier) subscription service

I have a P4P + V2.0 purchased in October 2018 and it has remote identification.
View attachment 116418

True mine has that ability as well. The dji uuid is meant for aeroscope and has about a 5km range. What isn’t yet defined is if that uuid is compatible and has the range to comply with the secondary connection to the USS (UAS Service Supplier) subscription service

Well let’s cross our fingers and say a little prayer.?[emoji120]

What's the (Flyable) payload on most of our type 16oz??? maybe...the GOV is trying to get some kind handle on this drone thing...Right now they want to throw the net over everybody. I think it should be based on max payload and range, or something like that.....Bad guys will do what they want and dumb people will hit aircraft with their drones....In the mid East their building drone airplanes out of plywood in garages and powering them with lawn mower engines - see AW&ST magazine Nov 11-24 issue. There could be one being built in the US right now and it wont have a transponder and it wont be kept in visual range like us :) I'm 64 and DJI sold me a drone that can fly 2 mi, but I can't see it 1/4 mi away. It's the wild west and they want your gun. Yes, in the future besides a transponder you'll need radar altimeter too. Oh and pass a written test to get your FAA DJI license. Your range will be limited based on your eye exam....I'm rambling..

This will just cost us more money. I have a limited data plan, now I will have to run data at all times in the air, or be within 400 ft of the controller.
I will be asking for that to be extended to 1000 ft.
If there is no WiFi or cell service, you are screwed.

Here is an example story:
Joe is a farmer who is using his UAS to track his cows. Joe's farm has no wifi and Joe has a flip phone because he is scared that the government is too invasive. Joe does however know how to read a sectional chart and knows that he is in G airspace without an airport for 50 miles.
But Joe can not take off or fly more than 400 feet from himself if he could or he will get a $20,000 fine from the FAA.
Joe will be counting cows from his horse today.
End of story.

I am all for the aircraft flying around broadcasting whatever will help identify it to authorities, but this whole "hook it to the internet", mentality has got to be thrown out.

Also what is to keep the USS providers from bilking us for $30 a month. Will the government be passing regulations to keep that $2.99 a month fee they use as an example? I doubt it.

How about we implement all this great technology into people's automobiles and see how that flies with the public, no pun intended.

:)

This will just cost us more money. I have a limited data plan, now I will have to run data at all times in the air, or be within 400 ft of the controller.
I will be asking for that to be extended to 1000 ft.
If there is no WiFi or cell service, you are screwed.

Here is an example story:
Joe is a farmer who is using his UAS to track his cows. Joe's farm has no wifi and Joe has a flip phone because he is scared that the government is too invasive. Joe does however know how to read a sectional chart and knows that he is in G airspace without an airport for 50 miles.
But Joe can not take off or fly more than 400 feet from himself if he could or he will get a $20,000 fine from the FAA.
Joe will be counting cows from his horse today.
End of story.

I am all for the aircraft flying around broadcasting whatever will help identify it to authorities, but this whole "hook it to the internet", mentality has got to be thrown out.

Also what is to keep the USS providers from bilking us for $30 a month. Will the government be passing regulations to keep that $2.99 a month fee they use as an example? I doubt it.

How about we implement all this great technology into people's automobiles and see how that flies with the public, no pun intended.

Yes. Before we 'do this' we need to know what 'this' really is and understand the myriad of unintended consequences.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31