FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data

Reaction score
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today posted a large database showing the city, state and zip code of each registered drone owner. Release of the database responds to a number of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests submitted since the new unmanned aircraft registration system began operating on December 21, 2015.

The FAA is not posting the names and street addresses of registered owners because the data is exempt from disclosure under a FOIA exemption that protects information in agency files from a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.

The FAA based its determination to post only city, state and zip code on several factors, including, in part, that many of the registrants are minors and only hobbyists or recreational users. In addition, when the FAA published its Federal Register notice pertaining to the new unmanned aircraft registration system it specifically advised the public that name and addresses would only be available by the registration number issued to the registrant. For these reasons, the FAA believes the privacy interest in such data outweighs any public interest.

Anyone who owns a drone weighing more than 0.55 lbs. but less than 55 lbs. must register before flying the aircraft outdoors for hobby or recreation. All owners of small unmanned aircraft used for other purposes must also register as one of the requirements associated with a Section 333 exemption.

You can view and search the registration data at: http://www.faa.gov/foia/electronic_reading_room/media/Reg-by-City-State-Zip-12May2016.xlsx

I was also surprised to see 200 people registered in my town of about 30,000 (though we are part of a large metro area). Where are y'all??

They're not all Phantoms, equipped with cameras, etc.

Wow, I was surprised to find 88 Johnstown. I've never seen one other than my own and there are 10 withing my zip alone. With that many I'm surprised none have found this board as I'm sure at least a few of them are Phantoms.

I have never seen or even heard of a drone flying in my area in the last year. Now I find there are 7 in my rural community, 4783 in Louisiana, and 89 are not hobbyists. But there are no commercial operators within 90 miles. I'd be one and would go after a 333 if the rules didn't require me to be a private pilot just to do business from the ground and I can't get a PPL anymore because I can't pass the medical.

I have never seen or even heard of a drone flying in my area in the last year. Now I find there are 7 in my rural community, 4783 in Louisiana, and 89 are not hobbyists. But there are no commercial operators within 90 miles. I'd be one and would go after a 333 if the rules didn't require me to be a private pilot just to do business from the ground and I can't get a PPL anymore because I can't pass the medical.
You can get a SPORT PL and your state issued drivers license will suffice.This would make you able to fly within the requirements of a Section 333 Exemption.

I live out in the country between two small towns in western Wisconsin (basically outlying suburbs of the Twin Cities in Minnesota). They have populations of 8000 (23 registrations) and 3000 (7 registrations). I have never seen another one in the 2 1/2 years I've had Phantoms...

They really need to work on this some more. Multiples of the same zip for me not that i cant add them together but they will need to utilize something like we use at the FCC for radio licenses. Then again i guess this is all a bit of a rush for them over at the FAA so i will give them some time before I criticize too much.

Being the dork that I am, I just had to have a visual of this in Google Maps.
I imported all the data into Google maps to get a better view of the data.
When you go to the link below, make sure to then click on the Map of County Tab.
You can then zoom in to your location and then click on the bubbles around you to see the data.

Enjoy :)

FAA UAV Registration Location Data - Google Fusion Tables

Being the dork that I am, I just had to have a visual of this in Google Maps.
I imported all the data into Google maps to get a better view of the data.
When you go to the link below, make sure to then click on the Map of County Tab.
You can then zoom in to your location and then click on the bubbles around you to see the data.

Enjoy :)

FAA UAV Registration Location Data - Google Fusion Tables

This is awesome! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I can add the other areas outside the US that I left out. It was 39,000+ zip codes so it took quite some time. I removed a few outside the US to speed it up :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31